Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:09:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chris' Fallout Project  (Read 59134 times)

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
Re: Chris' Fallout Project
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2010, 06:39:03 PM »
Yummy! those minis look great. What did you use for the green effect on the guns, necron plastic rods?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
Yay I've been looking forward to this... but you already know that as I stated it at BLAM!  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline captain apathy

• Librarian
  • whatever...
    • Captain Apathy's Secret Lab
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2010, 06:45:53 PM »
Very Cool.  I love the Jotun.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »
Yummy! those minis look great. What did you use for the green effect on the guns, necron plastic rods?

No, its a basecoat of VGC "Dark Green", highlighted with a bright yellow and white, and finally glazed with VMC "Translucent Green". Great effect, if I may say so myself, and I will be certainly using it for future "plasmatic" applications.

While we're at it, I'm looking at building another vehicle for the Fallout project, and am torn between three options:

1, a tracked transport loosely based on the M8E2:

2, another Vertibird, based on the model seen in Fallout and Fallout 2 rather than the spiffing new one:

3 this marvellous piece by illustrator Scott Robertson, which I found over on http://conceptrobots.blogspot.com:

The last one is currently my favourite, but a bit "un-falloutey", since they have so little in the "Mecha" department apart from the Robot Empire and Libby...

Any input welcome.

Offline Arcturus

• Scientist
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2010, 07:05:41 PM »
Nice to see this thread revived. Since it was the one that inspired me the most and got the fire burning.

I think the Kryomek figs are a really cool choice for enclave or brotherhood power armor trooper. I got all of the nexus packs somewhere on the lead mountain too and will dig them out soon.

The paintjob on the Jotun is great too.  

One question regarding the paintjob on the Enclave troopers: Is there some highlighting on the black armor or is it just plain black? I'm asking because i'm finishing a squad of evil empire Space Marines as Prototype Power Armour and i'm not satisfied with my highlights on all the plain surfaces of the armor. So if it looks as great as your troopers by leaving the armor plain black that would be a great relief to me.

Hope the pictures keep coming.

As to the vehicle question: Option three would be cool!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:07:35 PM by Arcturus »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2010, 10:26:48 PM »
One question regarding the paintjob on the Enclave troopers: Is there some highlighting on the black armor or is it just plain black? I'm asking because i'm finishing a squad of evil empire Space Marines as Prototype Power Armour and i'm not satisfied with my highlights on all the plain surfaces of the armor. So if it looks as great as your troopers by leaving the armor plain black that would be a great relief to me.

The paint scheme for the armour is relatively easy. I started with VMC "German Grey", which was applied in two moderately thin layers over a white basecoat (GW Spray Primer, with VMC "Foundation White" for touch-up). This step should cover the whole mini, with no "self-shading" (which I often use on other minis but not really for large areas of armour).

I then painted in the hoses, pouches, belts and joint covers in Revell Aqua Color "NATO Olive". When that was dry, I painted on a well-thinned coat of VMC "Black", close to "wash" strength, but based on actual acrylic paint rather than a "ready-made" wash/ink.

This was followed by detail highlighting of the olive areas with some VMC "Ochre" mixed in. Eyes were picked out in Red-Orange with a spot of white for "glow".

Finally, the guns (except the cannon) were slightly and as precisely as possible drybrushed with VMC "Oiled Steel", with minuscule application of Revell Aqua "Aluminium" (and the plasma effect described above).

It is actually very simple. I am not 100% convinced, though, if it will work on GW Space Marine armour, since those have larger continuous areas which have considerable risk of "puddling" when washed. Still, you could try it and re-touch any puddled areas with some more German Grey.

Basically, black grey/"Panzergrau", wash with black, and hey presto. No actual "highlighting". Some of the shine may result from protective coats of Marabu Satin Gloss varnish and VMC Matte Varnish.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »
Chris,love the Vertibird,excellent work....I shall not ramble :-I
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2010, 11:50:40 PM »
Do you do any battle reports or have I just missed them? This stuff is great!!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
Do you do any battle reports or have I just missed them? This stuff is great!!

Unfortunately, I only managed to play a single game ("Them Bloody Brahmin Rustlers") before I left Germany, but I hope to get some more going when I move back next autumn (or maybe these christmas holidays, but I cannot promise anything).

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »
I love the Rotunda model, fantastic work. The minis are looking ace too.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »
Chris, the Scott Robertson robo is my favourite, too. I really would love to see it as a gaming model. Complex construction, but you'll manage to do it, will you?
 :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2010, 09:48:43 PM »
Chris, the Scott Robertson robo is my favourite, too. I really would love to see it as a gaming model. Complex construction, but you'll manage to do it, will you?
 :)

The thing is figuring out the proper mechanism for the front legs. At first, I thought they were mounted in that "0"-shaped bracket, which swivels on a top and bottom ball-bearing joint, but at closer inspection, I saw that it is fixed to the gondola front, and the legs would probably move up and down in the "rail" opening. Still trying to wrap my head around it so it does look halfway plausible.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2010, 11:56:12 PM »
Despite it looking straight-forward, it's actually quite a complex arrangement. It looks like the steering is done from the rear and the front legs are essentially anchors used to pull it forwards, with little directional shifting from them... by only putting one down it would be able to pivot using the rear legs and the 'hips' to provide the directional axis. On an incline the front risers allow it to reach up and pull itself up with support from the rear legs. It would be like watching someone pull themselves along or up an ice sheet using two ice picks.

Offline basaint

• Scientist
  • Gamer, creator...In AZ
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »
Maybe think in terms of a cricket--its legs kinda look like that??!!

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2010, 05:01:01 PM »
Complex, but very cool if you pull off.

Love this thread. It has been a real inspiration.