Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:20:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689712
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Under Fire (Captain Blood) vs. Camp Life (Timbor)

Under Fire (Captain Blood)
321 (85.8%)
Camp Life (Timbor)
53 (14.2%)

Total Members Voted: 373

Voting closed: March 13, 2016, 11:22:21 AM

Author Topic: Round 1 - Under Fire vs. Camp Life  (Read 5562 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 1 - Under Fire vs. Camp Life
« on: March 06, 2016, 11:22:21 AM »

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
Re: Round 1 - Under Fire vs. Camp Life
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »
Tough choice ....
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
both great choices. Cpt Bloods style is noticeably more 'realistic' that his usual bright colours (not a criticism, just an observation.)
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »
My first LPL round and I get placed with one of the legends  o_o

Great job, Captain! What historical period is your picture?  Also, would you mind sharing some detail on your camera settings?  I have just started learning how to manually set my camera, and so am using the LPL as a testing ground to try and improve my miniature photography.  ;)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 04:08:22 PM »
That's lovely work Timbor though I feel for you going up against Captain Blood in 'awesome' mode! That's a great composition Richard.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »
Camp Life is good, but I think I succumbed to the draw of the artfully cocked hat in Captain Blood's entry.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 06:15:09 PM »
lol

Ah yes, can't be modelling Tommies without a rakish tin lid  ;)

That is a lovely scene Timbor - I've painted the landsknecht with the German Shepherd. I think eh appeared in a previous LPL actually. A brilliant Hicks sculpt. I am very sorry about your bad luck in the draw :?

In answer to your question about the figures, they are Perry WW2 8th Army.

In answer to your question about the camera settings, I've recently switched to a DSLR which is blinking complicated to get the hang of. I've set it to maximum F-stop, giving a longer exposure, which allows more of your image to be in focus (hopefully all of it!). Auto white balance. Use the timer to avoid any shake at all. Shoot under a bright daylight bulb. I'm sure there's a science to photography, but I'm utterly non-technical and have never really understood the physics of what's going on. I tend to shoot about 100 shots, endlessly fiddling with the settings and light levels, just to get the one shot I think works. All quite time consuming and very hit and miss. I basically subscribe to the approach that if you shoot enough pics, sooner or later you'll get a good one!

Offline Licantropo

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
really good two, the miniatures painted for Timbor are superb, but Cptain Blood for me is one of the best in this moment :o

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 08:42:33 PM »
lol

That is a lovely scene Timbor - I've painted the landsknecht with the German Shepherd. I think eh appeared in a previous LPL actually. A brilliant Hicks sculpt. I am very sorry about your bad luck in the draw :?

In answer to your question about the camera settings, I've recently switched to a DSLR which is blinking complicated to get the hang of. I've set it to maximum F-stop, giving a longer exposure, which allows more of your image to be in focus (hopefully all of it!). Auto white balance. Use the timer to avoid any shake at all. Shoot under a bright daylight bulb. I'm sure there's a science to photography, but I'm utterly non-technical and have never really understood the physics of what's going on. I tend to shoot about 100 shots, endlessly fiddling with the settings and light levels, just to get the one shot I think works. All quite time consuming and very hit and miss. I basically subscribe to the approach that if you shoot enough pics, sooner or later you'll get a good one!

A.k.a. the Gatling gun approach. I am more of a duelist: I am putting all of my faith in one precise shot.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 08:44:33 PM »
[Photography] I basically subscribe to the approach that if you shoot enough pics, sooner or later you'll get a good one!

My approach too.   ::)

As for the match, another "Epic" from the Captain.  And the "camp" I think is just great.  

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 02:54:17 PM »
Gorgeous result, by the way, Richard.

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 08:07:48 PM »
Two very nice entries!

Richard, those Desert Rats are a blast! Wonderful pieces, really.
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 08:38:22 PM »
Timbor if this is you just learning to photograph miniatures you are doing a very good job :-* :-* :-*
Richard I like some of the poses in particular the guy lounging on the sandbags with the bren gun :-* :-* :-*

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

lol

Those Hicks sculpts are quite nice... was going to pick up the ones Warlord released, but realised I would not have time to paint them up. I use a DSLR too, and for this pic I think I used f18 and a 2 second exposure time.  I don't have a tripod so propped the camera up on some books and put the timer on to avoid shaking the camera.  I've got 3 kids keeping me busy, so taking 100 photos is not a luxury I have at this point  lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 10:27:08 PM »
Practice helps Timbor - although like I say, my old point-and-shoot compact camera was more consistent... ::)

Thanks Stefan, Peder and Colin  :)
Yes, the Perry Rats are lovely little figures. So full of character. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them, because they're so flipping small and fiddly to paint. Brilliant figures - I just wish Michael hadn't made them so bloody titchy!
(I have some of their opponents coming in a later round - and they were even more fiddly!)
But thanks for the comments.