Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:33:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gang warfare in the Old World  (Read 6755 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vermis' gang warfare
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 06:28:37 PM »

Though before that, I'm going to do a little high elf modelling. To begin with, take a bunch of spearmen legs...

High elf? They look more like half elves to me.  :-X

Great effort on the sculpting of the new legs. They look great.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
Re: Gang warfare in the Old World (Warhammer themed SoBH, DR etc.)
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 07:49:21 PM »
Have you considered sculpting the lot from scratch? You're basically half way there, and I reckon that scale mail would look awesome if continued to cover the torso as well, should you want some without a breastplate.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: Vermis' gang warfare
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 11:36:42 PM »
High elf? They look more like half elves to me.  :-X

Nice. I was having a gloomy and miserable morning until reading that.  lol

Very nice sculpting! Casting sounds like an easier idea than sculpting all 24 from scratch. Unless you're really into that.

Just curious, why aren't you using the plastic legs?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Gang warfare in the Old World (Warhammer themed SoBH, DR etc.)
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 12:25:15 AM »
Beefcake:  lol I think I just got another idea for a DR band.

Ta all! Although...

Have you considered sculpting the lot from scratch? You're basically half way there,

Yup! But like I say, it'd be easier to nip the marine motifs off the newer, better lothern sea guard. 'Course, now I'm kicking myself that I never bought any when resellers were still breaking up the 8th ed starter.

Besides, there are other things that I want - nay, need - to save the sculpting juice for.

Unless you're really into that.

I was until I did the first one. :)

Just curious, why aren't you using the plastic legs?

Big flappy skirts looking like a georgian dress, and big flappy duck-feet. Not to mention the giant hands and the cuirass so wide it makes the shoulders look dislocated.

I know I'm a fussy git. :D I thought smaller feet poking out of simple, narrower tunics (the scale was a last minute experiment) and smaller hands would be relatively simple jobs, for smaller DR units, but the more I looked at the bits the less I liked them, or thought they fit with the more recent HE minis. I thought I'd show off this result, but I've pretty much given up on this tangent. A bit like GW during the last HE update, when we got a parakeet with a tow-hitch instead of new spearmen...

Offline qazbnm

• Librarian
    • http://qazbnmsreturn.blogspot.se
Re: Gang warfare in the Old World
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 12:05:07 PM »
Nice sculpting! And I have to agree about those old spearmen. I have a box of them lying around somewhere but can't really convince myself to paint them.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Gang warfare in the Old World
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »
Ta Qazbnm. :)

I'm saving myself more sculpting - or casting - here. My idea for one high elf warband is the Everqueen's Guard. Big prices on old, ebayed maiden guard meant I looked around current plastic kits and bits for conversion potential. I had a set of Statuesque heads on it's way to me for that, but in the meantime I was browsing wood elves on bits seller sites for my archer problem (heads and bows from the HE chariot and skycutter kits aren't plentiful) and remembered that eternal guard were a thing. And with female elf heads, too. No full helmets, but the headgear resembles the old maiden guard well enough, and I wouldn't have to add hair around it.

Test heads ordered - bits tacked together:

Some bits to be shaved back, like the prong, some hearts of Isha to add, and job's a good 'un. I've since cleaned out Bitzbox's and Bits And Kits' stock of eternal guard heads! I'll still have a use for Statuesque heads, but it might be easier if I don't have to graft entire units' worth of helmets, or pointy ears and elvish hairdos on them. :)

I've decided to move the nitpickier parts of this project over to Tabletop Showcase. Ironically, don't click there if you want to see more pics. There aren't any - yet. At the moment there's a lot more of my waffle, though. lol Including my other high elf plan...