Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 325
Total: 330

Recent

Author Topic: LoTR skirmish using Lion Rampant Battle Report (no pics)  (Read 4343 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
LoTR skirmish using Lion Rampant Battle Report (no pics)
« on: March 07, 2016, 10:10:04 AM »
Over the weekend there was a short 2-3hour window where I had the opportunity to try out Lion Rampant rules for the first time with my son. We opted to play out the ‘Hold on Tight’ scenario using my Gondorian and Haradrim forces fighting for possession of a river crossing.

The Terrain
Our usual playing table is a 3’ x 6’ dining table. I bisected the long side with some river sections.  The river sections (seen here in another setting) were each 3” across and counted as rough ground.
The scratchbuilt medieval stone bridge made the river 9” wide.

On either side a small wood was placed on opposite quarters, with a rocky hill on the other quarter of the Gondorian side.

The White Tree (22pts)
6 Dismounted Men at Arms @6pts *
12 Foot serjeants @4pts
12 Foot serjeants with mixed weapons @6pts
12 Archers @4pts
6 Skirmishers (Ithilien rangers) @2pts

The Black Serpent (20pts)
6 Mounted ‘serjeants’   @4pts
12 Foot serjeants @4pts *
12 Foot serjeants @4pts
12 Archers (Expert) @6pts
Skirmishers @2pts

The battle commences
After a delayed start by the Captain’s own unit, the Harad infantry advanced, though the archers on the right of the main body proved particularly truculent. As Expert troops they were the most expensive unit which was not only galling but placed the whole Harad attack in jeopardy.
The Harad skirmishers swept through the woods on the right flank unhindered to gain the rough ground to the right of the bridgehead.
The Harad cavalry dashed ahead in a bid to gain the bridge first. This was a rash move as it turned out since they arrived without any fire support.

We diced for ‘initiative’ since we could not decide who would be the attacker, though more careful reading of the deployment might have resulted in Harad moving first. The Gondorians won the roll but their foot also showed some initial reluctance to advance and sporadic hesitancy among the units resulted in some jostling for the position of honour first on the bridge. This created something of a logjam on the narrow approach. Meanwhile the Ithilien skirmishers were first to gain the riverbank to the left hand of the bridge. First blood went to them since they were in position to rain a withering fire on the advancing Harad cavalry. With half their number killed in the first salvo the cavalry were halted in their tracks, failed their courage test and beat a retreat back in the direction they’d come. Two turns later they rallied and by this time the lone survivor gamely advanced only to be picked off by Gondorian archers who had by now gained the riverbank next to their skirmishing brethren.

The Harad skirmishers gained the river bank not long after the Ithiliens, but rather than trying to eliminate these, instead apparently stopped in full view of the enemy, posed for selfies and admired the scenery. They soon discovered standing in the open with only armour 1 was reckless endangerment when the Ithiliens rolled 10/12 hits! As the sagas go “and the rivers ran red with their blood” as the entire unit was wiped out.
Meanwhile the Harad Captain led the first foot unit onto the bridge to be met by the spearmen of Gondor. Once again Ithilien archers proved decisive as Harad advanced. The Gondorians charged home and traded blows and the combined assault forced the Harad foot to retreat with the Captain narrowly escaping a Lucky blow.
Despite their best efforts and much to the disappointment of all neither Captain came close enough to issue a challenge.
The Harad archers at this point finally woke up long enough to let fly a volley at the advancing Gondorians but despite their expertise only managed to inflict the sole Gondorian casualty of the game, otherwise performing dismally.

The Gondorians having twice beaten Harad entirely off the bridge, with the Harad leader’s own unit battered and in retreat and half his force shot to death, the scenario was concluded a Gondorian victory, though Harad did clock up 0.5 points for turning up under strength.

All in all we were both very impressed with the simplicity and playability of the rules. Neither of us occasional gamers are renowned for rule retention, but my son was pleasantly surprised he could remember some aspects with relative ease. The mechanics were simple and reminded me of the playability of DBA without feeling too generic. With effectively each figure dicing it felt like each model had a part to play in the combat, rather than just being some abstract rank filler.
With hindsight, given the effectiveness of skirmishers even without adopting ‘skirmish’ orders, Harad should at least have invested in a second skirmish unit. Had we replayed the scenario, I would have been tempted to throw the Harad cavalry across the river (which we both deemed fordable but only at half movement for all units). This would have taken them only 2 turns, but they would have done so only with fire support. I might also have counted the bridge parapets as partial cover.

Timing is obviously important and marshalling units into position effectively only half the equation. We both made rookie deployment mistakes, but agreed this was a most enjoyable ruleset that we would be using again soon.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
Re: LoTR skirmish using Lion Rampant Battle Report (no pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 01:44:32 PM »
Kudos for squeezing in a game of LR Sukhe! Encouraged you enjoyed the rules.

(Funny enough, I did something similar with LotR models this weekend - but with the Dux Britanniarum rules. I'll post AAR and bad pictures tonight or tomorrow. Getting gathered up for business travel to Denver.)

Cheers!
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »
Yep we thoroughly enjoyed it. Also the lack of admin was a bonus for occasional players like ourselves...
Looking forward to a time when I use LR for ASOIAF battles, I see there is no artillery provision in LR. Q. Is there facility in DR for artillery? At the Battle of the Fords, Edmure Tully deploys 'scorpions' a.k.a. ballistae... If not, what are people's thoughts on LR adaptations to include these?
I'm also thinking about attacks on Holdfasts etc. so not necessarily full blown siege rules, but some FIBUA adaptations or house rules?

Looking forward to hearing all about your Dux scrap DG.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »
Sounds like a great game. One thing that struck me from reading it was that the Ithilien rangers must have rolled some extraordinary dice - 9 hits out of 12 (needing 5 or better on the dice) against the Haradrim cavalry, and then 10 out of 12 against the other skirmishers!

Looking forward to a time when I use LR for ASOIAF battles, I see there is no artillery provision in LR. Q. Is there facility in DR for artillery? At the Battle of the Fords, Edmure Tully deploys 'scorpions' a.k.a. ballistae... If not, what are people's thoughts on LR adaptations to include these?

Jon_1066 had some thoughts on this here. As I said in that thread, I think the loose units of LR/DR would make scorpions or the like less effective than against massed ranks. The easiest way to do them would be as reduced-model Heavy Missiles (crossbowmen) - a battery of three, say, instead of 12 men. You could also add the Venomous upgrade from DR to make them (much!) more deadly (reflecting stopping power rather than poison).

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 04:04:54 PM »
Yep, my son had the luck of the Irish that day. I like Armies of Arcana because low dice rolls are more deadly - and I have that kind of luck. My son on the other hand usually rolls 4s and above at regular intervals... The Ithilien skirmishers acted like they had machine guns that game!
Needless to say my Haradrim archers 1) refused to move 2) chronically misfired and 3) my units broke...:'(

I will check out Jon_1066's ideas. I like what I am hearing so far...

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:01:28 PM »
Luck favoured the sons of Numenor this time round! Really like that bridge.
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »
Reading thru other people's experiences of LR I noticed a glaring omission on our part...not surprising given our track record and it being only a first pass of the rules ::)

Do the rules seriously mean that if the first unit you choose to activate fails to do so, the turn passes to your opponent?
Does this then swap back and forth unit all units on both sides have been tested?

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »
It means that the turn is finished for you completely and your opposing side can activate all his troops in sucession as log as he doesn't fail to activate either!!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
Ouch! :o :o :o
That would have really changed the game!
Thanks for clarifying tomrommel1. I will relay this to my erstwhile opponent and look for the shocked reaction on his face! lol

Can't wait to have another bash with that in mind. Having said that knowing my luck with die rolls my retinue might as well sit down on the edge of the deployment zone and surrender on turn1!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »
That's right - a failed activation (excluding Rallies and Wild Charges) ends a player's turn.

The slate is wiped clean with each turn. So you could choose to activate your most reliable unit first each time.

It's a great rule, I think, because it creates all sorts of interesting command-and-control dilemmas: if you focus on your best troops, you may end up leaving them isolated, for example. It also means that forces tend to move unevenly, with unexpected delays and a convincing "fog of war".

It also means that turns tend to be short and sharp.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 10:38:30 AM »
I can see the attraction...
Thank you Hobgoblin, that's given me quite something to think about...
It means that the missile troops are potentially even more fickle than I imagined!

Tell me if I'm reading it wrong, but am I correct in thinking there no modifier for having a leader present in a unit if you wish to activate it? Surely having a commander kicking butt would count for something?

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 10:44:41 AM »
Interesting report and discussion, thanks.  8)

And I really like that medieval bridge!  :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 11:16:01 AM »
Thanks guys
The bridge is one of my very first modelling projects more years ago than I care to say. It started life as a quick mock up in expanded polysterene and card covered in polyfilla for ECW games. Then I rather rashly decided to clad the entire thing in Milliput and sculpted the stonework and cobbles.
When I developed the idea of the stony riverbanks for a LoTR 'Fords of Isen' scenario, I created a sabot base so I could incorporate the bridge as well. Now it's ideal for Westeros and I hope to have lots of bannermen traipsing back and forth over it in the not too distant future...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:11 AM »
Gents, Dan Mersey gave out some artillery guidelines on the Dux Rampant Forum... which covers LR and DR under its wings: http://duxrampant.yuku.com/topic/69/Boom-shake-the-room-Artillery#.Vt67bpwrJ48

You could tinker with those to get the effects you want maybe?

:)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
Great advice Arlequin. I'll take a gander  :D