Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LoTR skirmish using Lion Rampant Battle Report (no pics)  (Read 4342 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: LoTR skirmish #2 using Lion Rampant Battle Report (with pics)
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 10:55:10 AM »
I had an opportunity to replay the Lion Rampant ‘Hold on Tight’ scenario at the weekend. This time my erstwhile opponent was my daughter who valiantly stepped in proving herself a redoubtable shieldmaiden.
Once again the White Tree was pitted against the Black Serpent fighting for possession of a strategic river crossing. This time the forces were equally matched at 16pts each and I had opportunity to field a unit of fierce foot in the shape of my axe wielding Easterlings

The Terrain
As with the previous encounter, this was a 3’ x 6’ dining table. I bisected the long side with some river sections. The river sections were each 3” across and counted as rough ground. The river was fordable at half movement to all units. On either side a small wood was placed on opposite quarters, with a rocky hill on the other quarter of the Gondorian side.

The White Tree (16pts)
6 Dismounted Men at Arms @6pts *
12 Foot serjeants @4pts
12 Archers @4pts
6 Skirmishers (Ithilien rangers) @2pts

The Black Serpent (16pts)
12 Foot serjeants @4pts *
12 Archers (Expert) @6pts
12 Fierce Foot @ 4pts
Skirmishers @2pts
Skirmishers @2pts

The battle commences
Unlike the previous encounter, both sides seemed eager for combat and there was little or no hesitation on either side. The Gondorians won the initiative roll and advanced purposefully for the bridge.

The Harad spearmen infantry advanced resolutely, accompanied by the archers. The Harad skirmishers on either side of the main infantry body moved ahead while the Easterlings swept through the woods on the right flank unhindered to gain the rough ground to the right of the bridgehead.

Once again the Ithilien skirmishers were fleetest of foot and gained the riverbank to the left hand of the bridge. First blood went to them since they were in position to fire upon the Harad skirmishers on the opposite bank, killing two and forcing them to retire briefly. The Ithiliens turned their attention to the Easterlings who having gained the riverbank attempted a flanking movement. They took a couple of casualties while in midstream and were forced back, but rallied next move.
The Harad Captain meanwhile led the spearmen onto the bridge supported by covering fire from the archers. Ill-timed hesitation on the part of the Gondorian archers enabled them to advance over halfway.

The Ithiliens were driven back by a timely salvo from their Harad counterparts and were driven off their perch.

On the other side of the bridge, Harad archery inflicted a steady trickle of casualties on the Gondorian archers, despite being at long range and the targets in partial cover. Seizing the moment the Harad captain charged before the archers had a chance to recover driving them back. The Gondorian archers held their composure though and fired an effective salvo into the enemy spearmen. The Harad captain escaped injury.
At this point the Gondorian captain, having brought up all his forces, came close enough to issue a personal challenge, confident in his ‘Strong’ leadership qualities. Despite the opportunity to reroll one of his hits however, the valiant but unlucky Gondorian captain was felled by a single decisive blow, causing Gondor to test their courage.
The fate of their Captain emboldened rather than disheartened the men of the White Tree. The archers sidestepped allowing the foot knights to charge to avenge their fallen leader.

After a savage trading of blows in which the knights lost several men, the Gondorians succeeded in beating back Harad, encouraged on their way by a volley from the archers. The Harad captain was forced to retreat entirely off the bridge with half his unit killed.

By this time the Easterlings had gained the far riverbank, but were alone. Harad had lost 12 killed, while Gondor had lost 9, including their leader. Their forces, though bloodied, were largely intact. Harad had effectively lost its main striking force, and could only really trade insults, without the issue being decided by a lengthy counterattack across the river. Gondor had beaten off the attack and were still more than capable of repelling the Easterlings, so the issue at this point was declared a draw.

My daughter (who is even more of an occasional gamer than my son) was also impressed with the simplicity and playability of the rules. Having ironed out some of the kinks from our first match, I am appreciating this ruleset even more!
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: LoTR skirmish using Lion Rampant Battle Report (no pics)
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »
A nice couple of reports and a great bridge.

We have been playing Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant quite a lot recently. Obviously a lot of historical, but it has also given me the incentive to dig out some long-unused fantasy armies. Goblins and wargs raiding the Shire, Elves kicking goblin butt in the foothills of the Misty Mountains, Chronopia Stygian and Devout giving each other a good smacking. All great fun and a very versatile rule system.

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »
Ha! Two games in a row? You have it now, Sukhe!   ;)

Great to see some photos  Say a little about the source minis - particularly your Gondorians and your Serpent Warriors - whose shields are ace.

And what are those guys in the close up with the hide shields. They look like useful proxies!
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 01:51:09 PM »
At Dilettante Gamer's request...

Gondorian MAA and archers are a mixture of mostly Foundry feudals with some GW Bretonnians thrown in for good measure. The Foot knights are all Foundry and the Gondor Captain the freebie Richard Lionheart figure given out at one of the past Salute shows.

The Harad Captain is the Saint George figure from one of the Salute shows, while the spearmen are mostly Gripping Beast Arabs from their El Cid range. This is them at full strength ;)

While I've marshalled heir round shielded comrades into another regiment

The 12 man archer unit mostly Roman Eastern Auxiliaries from Foundry?

(I've had them a long time), the skirmishers with the hide shields Gripping Beast Desert Nomads. The other skirmishers are Persian archers, while the 12 man unit of Easterlings are Black Tree Design Kurdish warriors with a medley of medieval Russian axes etc. as substitute weapons... I have a fair number of these, and another batch of these on order who I plan to convert into Easterlings/Dunlendings. Despite the fact there are only about 4 poses, these chaps are surprisingly versatile figures... 

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 03:40:48 PM »
Nice AAR. And the great choice of figures looks like it led to an atmospheric outing to Middle Earth. Good work.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 04:31:52 PM »
Nice report!!! You are lucky to have kids who play with you!!!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com