Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:43:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any experience with Warlord's 200AD rule sets?  (Read 873 times)

Offline Fortescue-Smythe

• Bookworm
    • http://www.kaperbrief.net
Any experience with Warlord's 200AD rule sets?
« on: January 31, 2024, 09:14:06 AM »
Reason I'm asking is that I chanced upon their new(ish) ABC Warriors line:  https://warlord-community.warlordgames.com/abc-warriors-designers-notes-by-andy-chambers-gav-thorpe/
I like the models, and the rules concepts sound promising, the way Chambers and Thorpe write about them. So I was wondering whether the engine - which they have used before, apparently - is any good?

Offline craigjonwoodfield

• Bookworm
Re: Any experience with Warlord's 200AD rule sets?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 09:43:02 AM »
The Strontium Dog game is excellent. The Dredd game is underwhelming. Both use exactly the same engine, so it comes down to character design and play testing, which the Dredd game fails at.

Haven't played or even read Slaine, but have ordered the ABC Warriors rules - hopefully won't regret doing so.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 12:50:12 PM »
The Strontium Dog game is excellent. The Dredd game is underwhelming. Both use exactly the same engine, so it comes down to character design and play testing, which the Dredd game fails at.

Haven't played or even read Slaine, but have ordered the ABC Warriors rules - hopefully won't regret doing so.

Pretty much that, although I haven't actually played either the Dredd or Slaìne incarnations.

I got in with pretty much all the SD releases, skipped on the JD stuff (since I have grown a bit wary of Warlord Resin and have lots from previous ranges), and Slàine, if ever, I would do with other (metal) celtic myth figures. Sadly, only played it a couple of times since the universe is so inaccessible to most folks around here.

I was particularly impressed with how the Strontium Dog handled the differences between "named characters" and "faceless hordes", in that the heroes have sufficient oomph to tackle even a larger number of opponents, but will run an increasing risk of running out of steam if overdoing it. Movement, fighting etc. were quick and nicely streamlined while still providing good variety in the various statlines, and the special rules even for the more outlandish characters worked quite well.

Also, the SD figures were excellent likenesses and very well done. Very happy that I bought in on that, whereas I already had lots of JD stuff as well as most what I needed for Slaìne.

I'm in two minds on the ABC Warriors release. This "slice" of the 2000AD "spacetimeline", along with the Nemesis offshoot, has always been my favourite, and I will certainly get the rulebook at least. I am not so taken with them focusing on the Volgan War storylines, although the figures previewed again look very, very close to Clint Langley's art. They're resin, mind, and that may keep me off from buying them.

However, if the rule approach is working out more like in SD rather than in JD, as craig pointed out, I will be very happy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 12:52:05 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline craigjonwoodfield

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 11:48:35 PM »
The ABC Warriors rulebook arrived in the mail today and I have had a quick look through. Lots of full colour artwork and photos, scores highly on the "Ooh, shiny" scale.

Apparently identical core rules to the previous 2 books, but with a number of additions. Robots are more resilient than humans (obviously), for example. Claims to be fully compatible with JD and SD, but I am a little dubious. There are 28 profiles of various protagonists, mostly robots, so quite a few releases to come. I note that there are photos of all of them, so the sculpting has been done. There are also rules for building your own robots. Basic campaign rules included, plus the 36 tarot cards are there to photocopy. These perform similar roles to the cards in the previous games, with some interesting changes.

I will give it a game or two if I can convince somebody in my group. I may pick up some of the miniatures as well, though I generally prefer the old Foundry and even the Mongoose sculpts.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 11:29:40 PM »
Looking forward to your take on the rules once you got to play them. I have no clue about the 2000AD comicbooks, but I very much enjoy Warlord doing these (to me) really exotic niche topics, and I hope they do them well.