Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:06:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scum and villainy (the world's oldest Space Ork?!)  (Read 26438 times)

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Scum and villainy (speed-painted Stargrave mercenaries)
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2022, 09:01:43 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Here's some even quicker and dirtier speed painting. I ordered a sprue of Stargrave troopers on a whim and got them assembled during Friday lunchtime. Today, I got them painted during half-time breaks while watching the rugby - through the simple expedient of just drybrushing everything the same colours and then adding a few details afterwards.

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
Re: Scum and villainy (speed-painted Stargrave troopers)
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2022, 09:27:23 PM »
Those are nice.  "quicker and dirtier speed painting" you say?  Clearly I don't know what the hell I'm doing with a brush . . .  lol

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
Re: Scum and villainy (speed-painted Stargrave mercenaries)
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2022, 01:17:52 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Here's some even quicker and dirtier speed painting. I ordered a sprue of Stargrave troopers on a whim and got them assembled during Friday lunchtime. Today, I got them painted during half-time breaks while watching the rugby - through the simple expedient of just drybrushing everything the same colours and then adding a few details afterwards.

The glass lens look great!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
Thanks, both! There's really nothing to these: just two layers of drybrushing, some contrast paint over the weapons and then some details in bright colours.

The troopers got their first outing yesterday in a game of Mutants and Death Ray Guns. They proved mercilessly efficient, making short work of an outlaw gang led by Cad Bane. Excuse the 'raw' scenery!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2022, 10:11:01 AM »
The ones in dark uniforms look awesome. Nice original take on these...

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2022, 11:16:43 AM »
There's a definite Rogue trader feel to these; must be the brightly coloured accents  8)

I really like them. I have a couple of Stargrave sets myself, and I find this quite inspirational indeed :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2022, 08:00:27 AM »
Thanks!

I've recently repainted the bases on a lot of the earlier entrants on this thread. We always use one of two 'red desert' mats for our sci-fi gaming, so it made sense to homogenise the basing on the earlier figures. I'm also - gradually - applying matt varnish to the earlier ones, which were previously gloss only. It seems to smooth the roughness of some of the drybrushing.

On a different note, I'm surely not the first to note how well the Frostgrave wizard kits go with the Stargrave crew sprues. I'm very impressed with the new female crew sprue - here's the first use of its arms with a wizard body and head.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Scum and villainy (rebasees and wizard/crew kitbash)
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2022, 10:05:20 AM »
Stands to reason the Frostgrave and Stargrave sets are interchangeable, but your result is just flawless!

This opens up so much more avenues to kitbash and make unique miniatures :)

And the basing looks great, especially when they're all grouped together like that, in all their ecclectic glory; it ties them together quite nicely  8)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2022, 11:31:46 AM »
My thoughts echo those of Daeothar. 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2022, 12:02:35 PM »
Nice work on the troopers.

The wizard kitbash is cool. Looks like it has a bit more movement to the body sculpt than the rank and file Northstar sprues.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2022, 07:52:22 PM »
Thanks, chaps!

Any dusty sci-fi setting needs some primitive marauders to come howling out of the wastes at inopportune moments. These Copplestone half-orcs looked the part, I thought; I've got the rest of the range on order to make them a reasonably sized force.

I envisage three main uses for these fellows in our sci-fi games. First, they'll offer a challenge for players who want to eschew the pew-pew for some brutal hand-to-hand action. Second, they'll provide a consolation prize for any player who gets knocked out early from a multiplayer game ("OK, these guys turn up - you're in charge. They want to take as many heads as possible/steal some tech/destroy all technology."). Because they don't have guns, they'll represent a fair step down from the starting force, regardless of what rules we're using. Third, they'll act as a band of wandering monsters, which we usually include in our games to add some spice.

I'm going to add some accompanying beasts with the same markings as the shields. If I get through the rest of the Copplestone guys, I might supplement them with some of the new Crusader half-orcs.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Scum and villainy (Copplestone half-orcs)
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2022, 11:43:53 PM »
Always loved these miniatures. They look great here too... repurposed for Sci-Fi. Do like the savage shield and particularly the eyes.

The ideas on how they could be used in game are cool too - lucky players indeed...

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Scum and villainy (Copplestone half-orcs)
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2022, 05:26:43 AM »
Superb!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both!

Here's some crude WIP terrain (inspired by the legendary Spacejacker's instagram). This is one box-built building with various smaller structures that can either stand alone as small buildings or be placed on the big one as upper storeys.

Everything fits inside the main building for easy storage - and a few more bits and bobs should fit inside too: a couple more small buildings and various add-ons (turrets, satellite dishes, gun placements).

The paintwork is still very much work in progress, though I've since advanced the windows quite a bit. I'm going to do a lot of neatening up, staining and graffiti-using. The kids have also been building some buildings, so we should have a little outpost done by the weekend.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 10:41:10 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
Very nice, although in all honesty I was quite taken with your 'raw' terrain! The bare box colour worked rather well with the gaming mat - nice and desert planet-like.

I've been following that instagram too, and am very envious of both your and Spacejacker's results.