Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GW Lost Patrol  (Read 6825 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: GW Lost Patrol
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 06:58:47 AM »
It says "the classic 2000 game"...but the original is older than that right?  I don't recognize it at all and have been in the hobby since...1994?  Did they mean 1990 version?

Boardgamegeek lists it as 2000, and they tend to be pretty anal about that stuff.  ::)

Having spend some time looking at the game I noticed that the bad guys are called lurkers or something like that. The designer commented that they were intended to represent the deadly beasts found on death worlds, without giving them any particular form. I'm kind of disappointed that the new version will include genestealers, rather then some new interesting beasty, maybe something from the days of yore like Ambuls. We already have a SM vs genestealer boardgame, and they had terminators, I'm beginning to understand why people think the scouts always loose.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »
Boardgamegeek lists it as 2000, and they tend to be pretty anal about that stuff.  ::)

Having spend some time looking at the game I noticed that the bad guys are called lurkers or something like that. The designer commented that they were intended to represent the deadly beasts found on death worlds, without giving them any particular form. I'm kind of disappointed that the new version will include genestealers, rather then some new interesting beasty, maybe something from the days of yore like Ambuls. We already have a SM vs genestealer boardgame, and they had terminators, I'm beginning to understand why people think the scouts always loose.

I agree with you in that regard, that I would have loved some nice 40k beasties, but on the other hand do understand the need to make such games profiatable.

And without being arrogant or trying to soud superior, I can understand from the tone of posts in GW forums, that it will be a good idea for the company to put in some models, their customers are accustomed to.

btw, BoLS already claimed there will be scouts, genestealers and "infestations" in the box. So maybe something for the Genestealer Cult?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/03/gw-breaking-40k-lost-patrol-boardgame-returns.html

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »
Wow!  :-*

It almost seems as if GW is finally keying in on the veteran player market and is dusting off all of their old IPs. Space Hulk, Genestealer Cults, Bloodbowl, and now Lost Patrol. What's next? Battlefleet Gothic?

Probably more something along the lines of self-contained board games. Who knows; Hero Quest and Space Crusade might see another iteration again. Certainly Advanced Hero Quest is a strong contender, since that IP lies solely with GW and not half with MB.

Considering I bought the original years ago for just € 10,-, the $ 60,- price tag is rather steep. But then again; you do get more minis than with the original, they'll no doubt be very good (if Death Watch is anything to go by), and the board pieces will undoubtedly be of higher quality too.

Having played the original though, I am wondering exactly how they are intending to incorporate the Genestealer miniatures into the gameplay, considering that originally, the lurker player would stack his tokens in tiles, in his attempt to overwhelm the scouts; up to six per tile if I remember correctly. So how to stack 6 genestealer minis on one tile (and not on the represented path either, but rather in the undergrowth) is beyond me, especially if scouts are also on the tile (up to two).

I suppose we'll see. I've always been a fan of the original game, so I might actually consider shelling out for this one. Actually; June 17th is just in time for my birthday... :D

I've had a squad of metal RT scouts lurking half painted in my cabinet for use with Lost Patrol for many years, so maybe it's time to dust them off and paint them before this release creates another craze.

It's almost tradition for me to start an off the wall project (often rooted in nostalgia), get into it about half way and then get shinied away by other projects, only to see my idea being taken up in some new release years along the line, with everyone jumping on the bandwagon, an'then, them's stealin' my shine.   ;D

I might just be ahead of the curve for just once... ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 09:52:52 AM »
I like that GW are going back to their board games. I'm not gonna hold my breath for a new Gobbos' Banquet just yet though :P

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »
I'm in, being as I'm a complete sucker for these stand alone games. I suspect there's a lot of people out there likewise who rarely buy anything from GW but then when one of these games drops they shell out for it. It must be a nice bump in sales. If the price tag is correct I expect the models to be pretty much just whatever is currently available rather than anything new and fancy though.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »
...I expect the models to be pretty much just whatever is currently available rather than anything new and fancy though.

I don't know about you, but the Deatchwatch: Overkill Hybrids are still pretty effin' fancy to me... ;)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
I agree with you in that regard, that I would have loved some nice 40k beasties, but on the other hand do understand the need to make such games profiatable.

And without being arrogant or trying to soud superior, I can understand from the tone of posts in GW forums, that it will be a good idea for the company to put in some models, their customers are accustomed to.

Aye true enough, can't blame a company for selling that which actually sells rather I would prefer to see but might not even buy in the end.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »
btw, BoLS already claimed there will be scouts, genestealers and "infestations" in the box. So maybe something for the Genestealer Cult?

That bit makes me think they are going to recycle the existing genestealer sprue from the retail box set.  It has some little terrain pieces that look like little nests or egg sacks.  It's been quite a while since I played 40K so I don't remember if they had a name, but that's my suspicion of what the "infestations" will be.

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic938648_md.jpg

That's kind of a shame.  Between SH1st, SH3rd and the tabletop models I probably have about a hundred or so purestrains.  It would have been nice to see something new.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »
That bit makes me think they are going to recycle the existing genestealer sprue from the retail box set.  It has some little terrain pieces that look like little nests or egg sacks.  It's been quite a while since I played 40K so I don't remember if they had a name, but that's my suspicion of what the "infestations" will be.

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic938648_md.jpg

That's kind of a shame.  Between SH1st, SH3rd and the tabletop models I probably have about a hundred or so purestrains.  It would have been nice to see something new.

That it would but for a game that GW are probably looking at as a quick intro to gaming it makes little sense to design a new race or something different I would have thought.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 04:33:15 PM »
I don't know about you, but the Deatchwatch: Overkill Hybrids are still pretty effin' fancy to me... ;)

I meant in the way that Execution Force used a number of currently available models rather than a whole new set of sculpts like Betrayal or Deathwatch.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »
There's a pick of the sprues from a trade show up on Dakka, and it's the same plastic scouts and genestealers already available.

That it would but for a game that GW are probably looking at as a quick intro to gaming it makes little sense to design a new race or something different I would have thought.

To true, but one can always hope.

On the plus side, I've actually got all of those models already painted, so it's possible I could pick up the game on ebay (sans models) reasonably cheap.  (If it's any good).

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 11:25:25 PM »
I think, at the $60 price-point you're getting standard sprues.  In the $140-180 range we'll probably receive legitimate new sculpts/products.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!