Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of the Three Admirals...battle report!!  (Read 3468 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
The Battle of the Three Admirals...battle report!!
« on: December 18, 2008, 12:16:05 PM »
Well, I thought I'd keep this thread seperate from the last one (which I still need to finish by showing better close ups of the completed ships). Alas, the game night came around before the ships were totally completed but nevertheless a great game was had by all.

This was only the second in our Martian aeronef series following on from our giant space squid encounter and most overdue it was. The scenario was basically a three way conflict with the British fleet and Russians being attacked by a Prussian force of much the same size and strength. The British convoy has been sent to Mars with vital re-supplies to beleaguered British forces, mustering the only ships the Admiralty feels it can spare from the impending European conflict. These are mostly converted Ironclads that have been in service for up to forty years. Although still using 'r' matter technology they reflect the dirigible technology of the day more. Three new weapons we thought we'd try out were aerial mines, flame cannons and ship to ship ramming.

The British move first onto the table in order of battle, with their flagship the Cerberus leading the line.

I wanted to fight this one out on more traditional lines and keep the fighting line as long as it was possible to do so. The Russians on the other hand, mostly being composed of smaller, faster and more manouverable ships came on in a more random fashion, forcing the Prussian command to split their forces with a small fleet of torpedo boats being led by the hulking, massive zeppelin taking on the Russians while the other formidable force of armoured cruisers was led by their battleship in line.

The battle opened with the Russians dashing straight into the fray while the two fighting lines eyed each other off to their starboard sides and traded shots, with the majority being directed to the flagships. The game continues with much the same tactics of firing as much as possible at the flagships and in turn two the tactics began to pay off. The Russians managed to touch off the main magazine of the large Prussian Zeppelin, sending it crashing down in flames with their one and only hit.

However, the horror on the Prussians face was soon replaced with glee as the same thing happened to the British flagship at the start of the next turn, though it had by now absorbed so much damage and lost so much speed that it probably would have crumbled to dust that turn anyway.

Still firing at long range the British tried to move in closer and arcoss the stern of the Prussian line. Several aerial mines were fired, causing some good damage and in one case the death blow to an enemy cruiser. However, there were two 'drop shorts', one of which ended up returning to the HMAS Khartoum and caused much gnashing of teeth!

Turn four saw the battle swinging in the favour of the allies with more Prussian firepower being drawn away from the British line by the annoying little Russian flotilla who were proving alarmingly accurate with their aerial torpedos and battery fire. But sheer firepower took it's toll this turn with three of the Russian ships being destroyed. Though 'man of the match' goes to the captain of the tiny Russian torpedo boat who, with all torpedoes fired, main guns destroyed and ship on fire rammed into the lead Prussian frigate and managed to break it in half before being destroyed in the process. The Russians also lost their command ship with their admiral also..hence the battle would forever be known as the battle of the three admirals (all of whom perished).

The last turn saw some interesting evasive actions and a huge hail of fire at close range but finally the Prussian destroyer succumbed to lack of speed and dropped out of the sky. The British lost no more ships thanks mainly to the Russians having drawn off so much fire early on in the game.  By the end of the game the Prussians were down to only one (totally unscathed...questions will be asked...) cruiser and some smaller torpedo boats which nicked off quick smart. The British were down their flagship but otherwise fine. The Russians were decimated, with only one of their five ships left to tell tall stories of how they resucued the British fleet!

Didn't get to fire those highly unstable flame weapons but otherwise a great game. For those of you that didn't read the last report the game mat is actually a giant photo print of Mars which I coloured in Photoshop. We're going to add some flat terrain features to it for the next game...probably a city or some-such.

Thanks to admiral Christianski and admiral Von Rabbitz for a great game.

Admiral J. Gatling (deceased) signing off and wishing all a very happy Christmas.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
Re: The Battle of the Three Admirals...battle report!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:26:26 PM »
That's some impressive stuff there. The British ships are awesome, if a little confusing...
Are all the models yours?

I must buy myself a copy of aeronef!
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:45:28 PM »
AH! Wonderfull sky ships!

Very good looking fun it look!!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:24:53 AM »
Love the paint jobs on the British 2nd line vessels. Were you going for that pealed, oxidized look? Can we get some pics of the nasty Prussian fleet you spoke of?
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 12:43:20 PM »
WOW 

Didnt expect to see a battle report up so quickly.

Of course the tale was told very differently to the Prussian high command on the return of the scout ships.  ::)

Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »
Splendid stuff Sir.  :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 12:21:45 AM »
Inspirational stuff. I must get round to producing my own 'nef fleet (probably French).
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 01:27:36 AM »
Very nice and inspirational !

Nice painting for the 'globes'
argsilverson

Offline Trencher

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »
Excellent paintjob on those British aeronefs and a very nice battle report.

*sighs*

Things like these are going to drown me deeper and deeper into VSF...  o_o lol
TANK POLO? God, how our gardener hated that game!