Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:46:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Educational: Charles Stross' list of space opera cliches  (Read 2198 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Educational: Charles Stross' list of space opera cliches
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:01:08 AM »
A bit different from what you might get from just cut-and-pasting from TV Tropes:
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2016/03/towards-a-taxonomy-of-cliches-.html

Not much of it is necessary relevant in a miniature gaming context of course, unless you are writing fluff for a new game.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
Re: Educational: Charles Stross' list of space opera cliches
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »
I'd call it more a list of what distinguishes "space opera" from "science fiction".  Not that I think their's really any hard line between them, it's just that space opera tends to include more items from his list whereas what most people think of as "hard" sci-fi has less. 

The only thing that really struck me is the first sentence where he consider's writing a space opera because his publisher says they're "really hot right now".  Now there's a plug for your next dust jacket!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:59:51 PM »
Pretty sure there are a few that, if you don't accept the simplistic cosmology, the planet's dead, and not much of a story there.

The only thing that really struck me is the first sentence where he consider's writing a space opera because his publisher says they're "really hot right now".  Now there's a plug for your next dust jacket!

Pretty sure he's complaining about simple-minded publishers.  ;)

Cute list, and a bit exhaustive; will have to finish later.

Doug

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 02:16:08 AM »
Some of the complaints are a bit spurious, mainly the ones about things being too easy or reliable - Nothing wrong with a hyperfusioncrazywarp drive being decently reliable and maintainable by the far-flung future's equivalent of a drunken college dropout, or for it to use a power source that doesn't require huge volumes of fuel. I don't see how you'd have regular, frequent interstellar travel without that being the case.

That's one of the core attributes of technological progress, for complex machines that need to be used by a large number of people to become easier for the layman to use (meanwhile, we will invent something even more strange and complicated), or for us to obtain more energy from smaller volumes of physical objects.   

Just seems like a lot of very cranky grousing.

But the one that really had me flat out disagreeing was

Planetary natives are either Colonists or Indigenous

Uh. Either they were there to begin with or they came from somewhere else (even if "somewhere else" is another dimension or whatever). I'm not sure what other possible origins the population of an inhabited planet you could have.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 04:43:47 AM »
Just read like an annoying "I'm smarter than you" rant...without accounting for the "fiction" part of Science Fiction.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 09:57:06 AM »
Just read like an annoying "I'm smarter than you" rant...without accounting for the "fiction" part of Science Fiction.

Sadly, Charles Stross is an asshole

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »
It just seemed a list of reasons not to write a space opera.  If you are constrained by real world physics then any space opera is going to collapse under its own inability to leave the solar system.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 03:58:48 PM »
Seems he should trade some of his excess ego for more brain cells so he can understand fiction versus non-fiction.

What an arrogant sounding jerk.

Why, yes, I am grumpy today.  Too much activity at the Abraham Lincoln Museum and the Lincoln Home sites with wife and adult child #3.  Brain and body are recovering from the output/input associated with all the walking and absorbing information.

Edit: And I won't be buying his book, should he write it.  I can be bored updating metadata instead.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »
Pretty sure he's complaining about simple-minded publishers.  ;)

That's not how it came acrross:

Quote from: Charles Stross
So I'm chewing over the idea of eventually returning to writing far future SF-in-spaaaace, because that's what my editors tell me is hot right now (subtext: "Charlie, won't you write us a space opera?").

That reads to me like an author considering a new project on a subject he clearly doesn't seem to like or respect.  I know fiction is a business and he's got to put out product and pay the bills, but that's probably an attitude you want to keep to yourself not throw up on a blog.

Offline Maledrakh

• Librarian
    • At the Mountains of Minis
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
If he writes a "Space Opera" novel that avoids all of these cliches, will it still be Space Opera?

This reads more like he is making the basic notes for a SF version of the Tough Guide to Fantasyland.