Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:20:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 482
Total: 485

Recent

Author Topic: Modern Israeli Tanks in 28mm?  (Read 6912 times)

Offline Ste long 1971

• Bookworm
  • Time for tiffing chaps
Re: Modern Israeli Tanks in 28mm?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »
You could always build and paint the M47 in Jordanian colours. Then use it against your IDF stuff

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 03:44:55 PM »
Well I'm making the IDF to use a modern force to go along with some desert terrain. Yes, the arab forces are probably a hell of a lot easier to get a hold of (IIRC Eureka do some), but this is probably more of a vanity project.

Practically I should be making insurgent forces. I have my Eastern Europeans, my friend has modern Brits, and we may be able to scrounge up some Americans or Cold War era Taliban. ...But, well, I know jack all about any of the native forces. Saying that I do have some chucking about somewhere.

That and Mike Bravo are doing modern Israelis. :)

And back to sanding this bloody Achzarit down so it doesn't look like a potato on tracks.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 08:10:26 PM »
I've decided that my next 1:56 project is this:

Seeing as how the base model M60 it's based on has a multitude of uses. Combination of CAD and traditional plastic for the build I think. I'll get the tracks and suspension in CAD, since thats the most fiddly bit.

Stay tuned!

Brent
Company B

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
OK IDF tanks are some thing I am lacking knowledge in,  what is the one in the picture and is still being used?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2016, 09:22:48 PM »
A Magach 6B Gal  Batash right? The 7s have more squared off turret armour. They're a modernization of the 6B modernization program for the M60s (the Israelis just hate scrapping stuff).

As for current use, others are probably more clued in. Officially they're only in use by reserve units, which is to say they're deployed whenever there's a hoohah. Wikipedia makes it out like only the old men take them out, but I've seen a few being used in the back of recent photographs.

Oh, and aye, to address the elephant in the room; that's cool to see CompanyB working on another modern tank, let along a Magach. I :D

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2016, 09:53:33 PM »
Yep, Magach 6b.  The 7 was the latest series and they were in use till about 2006.  Turkey bought some under the Sabra name and they use the same gun as the merkava.  I'm sure they are still used in support units.  There is another Magach variant that is essentially a huge missle battery hidden in a fake turret.  I think that one is still utilized.

The M60 is easy enough, then all sorts of variants can be scratch built or created to convert it.

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 02:35:46 AM »

That and Mike Bravo are doing modern Israelis. :)

Yes, I haven't forgotten about our own vanity project!  lol

(Still on their way - Anton held back sending them so that he could squeeze some Russians and a US RTO into the same box. But they are on their way, as I need to flog some figures to be able to send him more work  :D )

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
Here's the Achzarit ready to paint.

...I think? God those bolts on the hull look horrible. I ran out of rods and resorted to cutting ups spear shafts. Would it look better without them altogether? :(

The details are fairly chunky, so put that down to my own laziness. There's also some mistakes here and there, particularly from my flippant sense of scale, and conflicting reference images.

Oddly enough, whilst a lot of the older shots of these things have the original T-55 road wheels, newer ones have the style I nabbed off the T-72. Hmn, I wonder if the Israelis made those from scratch?

I'll probably just go for a light desert scheme on this. I'd considered the green scheme the Israelis use, but the more common yellow's what everyone knows (and I have about a dozen yellow paints, rather than my three green ones. The palette of a Post-Apocalyptic gamer).

Anything glaring I need to change before I paint this?

Oh, and for reference; is this thing really a Type 61, the turret's similar? Hmn, most toys have the Americans in Green and either the Brits/ Japanese/ Russians in brown. A manufacturer taking up some Cold War solidatry between the US and Japanese perhaps? :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 01:32:28 AM »
Interesting project. Looks like a promising start but I reckon it might be better without the bolts. A dot of white glue dapped from a toothpick is a good way of producing rivets/bolt en masse and they can be quite subtle. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

On reflection I think that toy meant to be the M-47. Turret is mostly right and the deck isn't a bad representation. Trouble is that the front hull is wrong. It was a cast hull and noticeably rounded albeit not as pronounced as its successor, the  M-48.

If you want a more accurate M-47 at any time try the Solido 1/50. Tracks aside it ain't a bad effort. I added the coincidence range finder horns to mine. Your toy does at leat look like the maker made something of an effortto incorporate them.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 11:39:34 AM »
Having slept on it, those bolts look terribad. I'll remove them as it seems like they only appear on certain models (those headlamps really need redone as well).

As for the M-47 thing. Its in 1/50 scale, so the intent's to rebuild everything bar the tracks, so the dumn hull’s going to be obliterated with sand paper. :P