Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:41:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mutineer Miniatures Rebel Command  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mutineer Miniatures Rebel Command
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 03:17:39 PM »
You are an amazingly talented painter, Jeff. Reading about your using the Foundry paints tempts me to get some one of these days; their cost for someone living in the States is a little puckering, but with results like you've shown, might well be worth it.

Beautiful, inspiring work. Thank you!

Thank you Arundel your comments are much appreciated. I will say that I use many different types of paint from Foundry, Vallejo, Games Workshop and Coat de Armes. Each manufacturer has good paints and not so good in the ranges and it's really trial and error until you stumble across a particular colour that gives good coverage.
I like to use paint straight from the pot it's quicker, but the majority of colours on my figures are mixed with a touch of white or yellow or orange etc and gradually highlighted to at least two or three stages.
I cannot emphasise enough the need to " just add water" ( I'm sure there's a blog out there called that lol, Hi Darrell) to the paint to make it flow and blend in, and that's just practice.
I suppose I'm rambling along here when what I want to say is I don't use paint from just one manufacturer, it's all a mix. but when I do get a colour that I can use straight from the pot it's a good find and worth telling others about it :)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »
There's no such thing as rambling here: I greatly appreciate the tips! I'm quite familiar with the Vallejo and GW brands, but have generally used them "straight out of the pot". One of these days I'll have to try adding water as you've suggested. Since we're on the subject, is there a brand of white and yellow you'd recommend? Those would be a grail of sorts for me; the ones I've tried aren't truly opaque and take repeated (frustrating) layers to achieve proper coverage. Several regulars on TMP swear by cell colour vinyls (used by animators), which I haven't tried, but if you have another recommendation I'd love to hear it.

Thank you again for the input and keep up the superb brushwork!

Daryl

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »
I have just discovered the joys of using a 'wet palette' which is just brilliant. Search it out on Youtube if you haven't heard about it before. Really helps paint flow ands makes painting easier.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 06:10:51 PM »

I cannot emphasise enough the need to " just add water" ( I'm sure there's a blog out there called that lol, Hi Darrell)

There is?  ;) :D

Personally, I always add water. I've tried just about every technique in the book and have developed my own very personal style as well as preferences etc.

But the one thing I always do is mix in some water, ideally so the paint is a thick milky consistency.

Darrell.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
I have just discovered the joys of using a 'wet palette' which is just brilliant. Search it out on Youtube if you haven't heard about it before. Really helps paint flow ands makes painting easier.

Quite right Andy and the beauty of it for me is that I paint just about everyday, and nine out of ten times when I go back to the palette up to a day later I can still use the colour I was using the day before. As long as I keep the lid on the Tupperware tub the paint stays usable.

There's no such thing as rambling here: I greatly appreciate the tips! I'm quite familiar with the Vallejo and GW brands, but have generally used them "straight out of the pot". One of these days I'll have to try adding water as you've suggested. Since we're on the subject, is there a brand of white and yellow you'd recommend? Those would be a grail of sorts for me; the ones I've tried aren't truly opaque and take repeated (frustrating) layers to achieve proper coverage. Several regulars on TMP swear by cell colour vinyls (used by animators), which I haven't tried, but if you have another recommendation I'd love to hear it.

Thank you again for the input and keep up the superb brushwork!

Daryl

Daryl I paint in the three stage method over a black undercoat so the yellow above was first painted with GW Iyanden dark sun which I believe is now called Averland sunset, I then paint the same area with yellow (any yellow) and then as a third highlight the same yellow mixed with a little white.
I always paint white (any white) over two coats of grey, a mid grey like GW Dawnstone then a light grey like CoatdeArms Horse tone light grey then straight white.

Hope that helps, Jeff

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 09:28:38 PM »
It does help, very much. Thank you for the tips!

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 12:31:45 AM »
We have some flags on the VS website shop

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
Wow! Nice.