Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:07:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690985
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: UPDATED 18 Nov 2016 Perry Napoleonic Austrian (German) Grenadiers conversions  (Read 8442 times)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Well for some time I was after Alan Perry to do a conversion pack for their plastic Austrian Nap infantry to make them into Grenadiers. It only took a year or so to get Alan to do it. So I have been working on them a bit and they are now ready for priming, and then onto the waiting list for painting. Sadly, the painting will probably have to wait as we are moving house this summer, way too much real-life crap going on, all of which means that I have little time to do much modelling these days  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

In any event, here is what they conversions currently look like. I have a second battalion in the works but may hold off on these to push through other long overdue projects. Plus, as I am using these for the 1812 campaign there was only one German Grenadier unit around, the other being a Hungarian Grenadier one. If I go more into Austrians I might do this.

As you can see from the pics I have done some additional work on the Perry plastic Nap Austrians. The number of buttons on the leggings is wrong so I replaced these with small bits made from my trusty punch and die set. It is still not correct but I could only fit 9 buttons into the area. I also replaced the buttons on the cuff sleeves. I also fixed up some minor issues here and there, mainly refining the detail on the sides of the figures where with the plastic molding process you lose some detail at times. To be specific, on the officer and pioneers figures I cleaned out the excess plastic to make their coat/apron look more realistic. I also redid the axe as on the plastic bit is sorta just hangs there instead of inserting into its carrying case.

As for the metal conversion heads, I opted to redo the necks with putty on a metal wire piece inserted into the head, and inserted this into a drilled out hole, so the head fits nice with a neck showing. Of course, being AR, all musket holes were drilled out...as the bullet needs to come out somewhere, right!  ;D

On the Perry metal Austrian Grenadiers command and infantry casualties set, I have done some fixing on various things, like the leggings as well as hiding over far too many casting errors. I have gotten to the point where I really hate cleaning up metal figures, as find it to be such a pain and far more tedious than plastics. It isn't just the Perry's metals that I don't like, as I find other producers also don't do a good job casting in terms of quality control. I also replaced hands, drummer stick, and other bits so I could create what I hope is better space and movement. All that said, the Perry metals are essential to making a unit look good, as there is only so much you can do with the number of poses in plastic. I just wish they weren't such a pain to clean up compare to plastics. I know some people are okay with leaving mold lines and other casting issues, but for me, if I am going to spend my limited time painting I want to at least try and get them right.

Given that I plan on starting with a grey basecoat to make the white uniforms I will be priming this in...yes...Tamiya Light Grey Surface Primer!!!!!!!!!!  ;) I usually work with a white canvas (I can't do black due to eyesight issues), so grey will be a change of pace.

So let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:57:58 PM by ARKOUDAKI »

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Re: Perry Napoleonic Austrian (German) Grenadiers conversions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »
Oh, and here are some Perry Austrian Nap Line Infantry figures I have done...

As I have yet started to do any Hungarian units, these are all done up as Germans. On the Perry casualty set for the Austrians you get a mix of German and Hungarian uniforms...but they are fairly easy to convert with putty and such.

Offline Sascha Herm

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
WOW, these are some amazing conversions. Inspiring work. I can't wait to see the figures with some paint on it  ;)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
I can't wait to see these painted up, I admire your modelling skills and dedication to the preparation of the figures before painting. There's a lot of work there, well done.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:13:09 AM »
WOW, these are some amazing conversions. Inspiring work. I can't wait to see the figures with some paint on it  Wink

Thanks Sascha for your kind words, as coming from a master like you they are greatly appreciated. As for painting, that's why I wanted your secret recipe for doing white uniforms, as I really liked how your Perry Danes/Norwegians came out. For those that didn't see Sascha's great work, here are the links

http://sdean-forum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40079.0

http://sdean-forum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40087.msg438345#msg438345

To Jeff, thanks for the kind words. Yes, very AR on prep work but I find it just makes things easier at the painting stage. Sadly while I consider myself an okay painter I think my modelling skills (build stage) is better. Once we move house and settle back in I will try and paint them up. My research on Austrian Naps has shown that the white uniforms may not have been so white as many illustrators make them out to be. I will keep doing some research but I am leaning towards a cool white with grey base. In that regard, I think Sascha's glaze approach has a lot of potential. We shall see.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:15:25 AM by ARKOUDAKI »

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 02:11:31 AM »
This is just wonderful work, and I am very much looking forward to seeing more.  I have big soft spot for the Nap. Austrians and the Perry Austrians in particular.

My research on Austrian Naps has shown that the white uniforms may not have been so white as many illustrators make them out to be. I will keep doing some research but I am leaning towards a cool white with grey base. In that regard, I think Sascha's glaze approach has a lot of potential. We shall see.

From what I understand, the "white" uniforms were often off-white or cream-colored but would be buffed with chalk to achieve a fairly bright white for "full dress" occasions, including battles (if there was time).
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »
Looking good-can't wait to see these finished :)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 01:16:46 AM »
From what I understand, the "white" uniforms were often off-white or cream-colored but would be buffed with chalk to achieve a fairly bright white for "full dress" occasions, including battles (if there was time).

So is this fact or one of those historical myths???

I ask as this is my first ever Austrian Nap army and I am doing research but haven't come across that one. I just see that the illustrators almost always (aside from Keith Rocco) make the uniforms a very white white while I see re-enactors wearing off white jackets (more beige or canvas color) with white paints.

So do tell all you know....please..... :D

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
Rob good to see you back in harness :D
going to Salute?

regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »
So is this fact or one of those historical myths???

I ask as this is my first ever Austrian Nap army and I am doing research but haven't come across that one. I just see that the illustrators almost always (aside from Keith Rocco) make the uniforms a very white white while I see re-enactors wearing off white jackets (more beige or canvas color) with white paints.

So do tell all you know....please..... :D

According the Osprey book on Napoleonic Austrian infantry, the 1769 regulations still largely governed uniforms in the Napoleonic period.  The 1769 regulations stipulated that uniforms were to be made of undyed perlgrau (pearl grey) cloth. Do a google search for pearl grey, and you will get a range of light grey colors, some quite grey, some a bit cream-colored, others rather beige.  The advantage here seems to have been a simpler, cheaper production process, since there was no need to dye the cloth.  In addition, the color did not suffer in the sun the way colored uniforms did.

Under the regulations, it was the private soldier's responsibility to treat his uniform with chalk and pipe-clay, which would bring the uniform to a fairly solid white.  Other armies used similar methods for the white parts of their uniforms.  The chalk would cover up stains as well.

There are some other books that cover this topic as well, if you'd like to know more.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 08:03:51 PM »
Thanks Gangleri for the info. I always knew that the Brits and others used pipeclay for equipment and such, to make it white, but didn't think it would stick well to cloth. Like I said, I am a novice on the Austrian Naps so I will need to keep researching.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Hi all, Well it has been a while but I have found more time to finish off cleaning up my 2 Regts of Austrian German Grenadiers....here are the latest pics of the additional bits as well as some revised ones from the first lot. Do let me know what you think.

Aside from finishing off the Grenadier figs, I have also started mass producing the Austrian Line command units. I still have to add the heads, plastic rod for the canes, etc....but nearly there.

Next up, when time and patience permits, clean up all the Austrian Line Inf units....so much fun!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Lovely but wondering what the white pipes are on their backs? Forgive my ignorance  ;)
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Those are the axe handles. I have drilled out the pouch on the side and inserted the rod. There is also a strap (made of lead foil) at the top that gets buried behind the backpack.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Aha thanks, looking great! Quite some conversion skills on display here.