Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Zulu Regiment using BTD figures  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
28mm Zulu Regiment using BTD figures
« on: March 11, 2016, 01:36:30 AM »
Given that you can never have enough Zulus I have finished another Unmarried regiment for the Zulu Left Horn at Isandlwana.

More pics over at:http://woolshedwargamer.com/2016/03/11/zulu-wars-umbonambi-the-evil-omen/

Cheers
Brian

Offline Harwood Hobbies

• Scientist
    • Harwood Hobbies
Re: 28mm Zulu Regiment using BTD figures
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 03:28:49 AM »
Good stuff!  I really like those BTD Zulus.   :)

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:34:10 AM »
I have now painted eight 36 figure regiments - I thought I might get bored with them but the are so easy to churn out..

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
Lovely stuff. Any reason why you went with BTD for Zulus ?

I plumped for BTD Brits with a few Empress and redoubt characters.

Not sure if I fancy the time building zulu plastics, doing the WF survivors, vikings and saxon was bad enough ! I know the plastics are cheaper, but with a BTD sale it would make the zulus cost in, factoring in time savings .

What are your opinions of the accuracy and variety of poses for BTD  zulus ? I am familiar with all the issues around WG and WF plastic zulus.

thanks very much!

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 10:38:31 AM »
Good work Brian.. Nice to see loads of them!
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »
It's true, isn't it? One always wants one more impi.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »
Lovely stuff. Any reason why you went with BTD for Zulus ?

Initially I brought a second hand lot of AZW figures off the internet here in New Zealand. They were BTD.  BTD do soem really good deals as well. 50% off sales and/or reduced or free postage. It was a no brainer in the end. I have brought some Redoubt figures but have no Empress (yet).

Not sure if I fancy the time building zulu plastics, doing the WF survivors, vikings and saxon was bad enough ! I know the plastics are cheaper, but with a BTD sale it would make the zulus cost in, factoring in time savings .

To be honest, I did buy a box of plastic zulu (Warlord) and I ended up not using them. Ditto a whole bunch of Warlord British Infantry and NNC sprues - to be honest I have been pillaging them for bits.

The plastic figures just are not doing it for me. I find the Zulu to be a bit goofy as far as leg poses go. Coming from someone who likes Old Glory figures that may sound a bit strange.

What are your opinions of the accuracy and variety of poses for BTD  zulus ? I am familiar with all the issues around WG and WF plastic zulus.

They look a lot like the pics I see in the movies - so they are fine with me. There are about half a dozen basic poses that have been used for pretty much the entire range but enough variation to make them look pretty distinct. Apart from their uThulwana range they are all in field dress (for want of a better term). The shields are pretty clunky but that is good too - they will stand up to handling a lot better. I have some Redoubt figures and the shields are much thinner and look pretty good - also quite solid.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:08:44 PM by Brian Smaller »

Offline Sapper

• Student
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
Hi Brian

Yes indeed, I agree totally with your comments on the BTD Zulus.  The company are (were) also open to large discounts if you bought in bulk.  In 2011 at the Colours wargame show in Newbury, a group of us (including Ian Knight) laid out the firing line at Isandlwana on a correct ground scale (1:56).  The figure ratio was 1 to 1 !!! We had five FULL British Companies (about 450 men in total) plus the first wave of the attacking Zulu centre (some 3,500 figures mainly BTD).  Mind you the table was about 36 foot long and 6 foot wide !!!  You can probably google up some pics of this.  It really did bring home what the battlefield must have looked like on the fateful day in January 1879.

Sapper