Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:28:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I got a few Russians and Prussians out and did Paltzig 1759, solo  (Read 2076 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Over the last few weeks I've been taking a look at Paltzig 1759. It's a battle I've actually just about got enough stuff to do at a reasonable scaling. It's also a battle that is rarely gamed because on the surface it's such a forgone conclusion but I've always had my suspicions about it, and with a tweak here and there I was pretty sure I could get something of a game out of it.

My biggest problem with this battle has been the official Prussian map of it. The map makes the topography of the battlefield look like a complete nightmare to do. Then I took a look at Google Earth and did a post about what I discovered.

Now I've set it up and solo fought the thing through once. There is a scenario worth doing here. I've done a report, picture heavy, and I thought you might like to take a look for yourself.

http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/the-battle-of-paltzig-23-july-1759.html

Also, here is also a link to the previous post about the map and the topography.

http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/representing-historical-terrain-on.html

And a pic to get you started.......

Offline Costanzo

• Librarian
Re: I got a few Russians and Prussians out and did Paltzig 1759, solo
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 06:47:36 PM »
Great sight!

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:05:55 PM »
Great looking battle and insane miniature collection!

As to battlefield.
I was near Kije (today Kay) and Sulechów only by transit (and never knew about the battle - as I am not  fan of XVIII century warfare unfortunately)

But terrain in Poland tend to be heavily changed since XVIII century. So if I were you I would trust Prussian map a little more than Google.
I am using Google to recreate some of the WWII battlefields though and I love that tool (unfortunately Germany is blocking it on their territory :(
But further back than XX century one is finding surprises
As an example look at map of my homecity Sochaczew- a Venice of the north in 1798 as it apper!

and look at the same place in google maps :)

So wile looking at XVIII century battlefields I trust maps more than google :)
Especially Prussian maps - Rusian ones can be more dodgy :)

In 2009 (250 anniversary) there was a conference on the battle itself in nearby Sulechów and what i can see one of the speakers was talking about modernization of local area after the war but I am unable to track conference publication so I cannot help you in any substantial way.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:10:15 PM by AWu »

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 11:40:00 PM »
An excellent post and an excellent blog. Interesting reading!

(Nice Russians too!)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »
Bloody marvellous as always James!  Splendid  :-* :-* :-*
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »
Great looking battle and insane miniature collection!

As to battlefield.
I was near Kije (today Kay) and Sulechów only by transit (and never knew about the battle - as I am not  fan of XVIII century warfare unfortunately)

But terrain in Poland tend to be heavily changed since XVIII century. So if I were you I would trust Prussian map a little more than Google.
I am using Google to recreate some of the WWII battlefields though and I love that tool (unfortunately Germany is blocking it on their territory :(
But further back than XX century one is finding surprises
As an example look at map of my homecity Sochaczew- a Venice of the north in 1798 as it apper!

and look at the same place in google maps :)

So wile looking at XVIII century battlefields I trust maps more than google :)
Especially Prussian maps - Rusian ones can be more dodgy :)

In 2009 (250 anniversary) there was a conference on the battle itself in nearby Sulechów and what i can see one of the speakers was talking about modernization of local area after the war but I am unable to track conference publication so I cannot help you in any substantial way.

Actually, the battlefield at Kay is largely unspoilt. The problem lay in the 'look of the map' compared to the lay of the land in reality. This was largely down to a lack of information about the map's scales. Of course, things do get built up on over time, but not here; roads get built, but not here; and slopes get ploughed out, though I suspect not here. The map looks like the alps but the ground is very gently sloping. The bottom picture is taken from just outside Paltzig looking NE (from star A) towards the big (on the map) hillock - this is how the look of the map gives a different feel to the reality.

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »
the sheer volume of your games is outstanding, always love to read your battle reports too, look forward to the next one

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 01:41:42 PM »
Germans loved to mess up with the the rivers (especially when they could flood the fields).

Stick with the map :)