Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:45:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Tercios Miniatures soon on kickstarter  (Read 12432 times)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Tercios Miniatures soon on kickstarter
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
I've now looked at the Painting Guide by Heresy Brush which came with my figures. He used a method of basing which avoided drilling. He took a washer, covered it with Miliput, textured the Miliput with a toothbrush, put the figure on the base while the Miliput was still wet (presumably to make footprints) and then superglued the figure to the base once the Miliput was dry. I wonder how secure this ended up but it would certainly save loads of drilling.

Offline Tym

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
My figures arrived this morning and in General very pleased.  Nice poses and enough to play Pikemans lament with.  Only disappointment is the Cannon in my opinion.  The Trunions are mounted to far back. so the barrel looks unbalanced.  The wheels also look to small in diameter for a field piece. Shame really as I love the rest.

Thank you

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2017, 10:07:19 PM »
........ I wonder how secure this ended up but it would certainly save loads of drilling.

Impressing the feet into soft milliput will be slightly stronger than just gluing directly to a metal,plastic or wooden base as the contact area is fractionally larger, but it is a fractional difference, literally just the thickness of the boot soles.
The technique is fine for the display figures but still not good enough for gaming.
Gluing with 2 part epoxy adhesive will be better than superglue if you want to try the milliput approach......just make sure you remember which figure made which footprints and have a way of supporting them until they dry.

It is a shame they did not heed advice given during the KS about bases, understandable not wanting slottas but lacking a cast on base not leaving a integral foot peg is crazy.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2017, 09:48:05 AM »
Thanks Robh. It sounds like I'll have to drill the feet.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
There is an old modellers/diorama builders trick that would help if you are planning on going the Impetus/Baroque big base route.

Make sure each individual figure is touching another as you arrange the models on the base: elbow touching gun stock of guy next to him, extended musket touching shoulder sleeve of guy in front etc and then run a drop of superglue between all touching points. That way the "unit" becomes a single piece and self supporting. Also helps to use a 4mm or 5mm thick base so that it can be picked up without the temptation to squeeze the end most figures together to lift the unit.

Unfortunatley no help at all if you are an individual bases fan. :?

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »
Out of interest, is anyone planning to mix these figures with figures of a different manufacturer? I haven't decided yet myself.

Offline Tym

• Scientist
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2017, 06:09:54 PM »
I'm looking to mix with The Assault Group figures.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »
Thanks. I did wonder whether they'd work well with the TAG figures in boot hose, which are slightly taller than the earlier TAG figures. I also wondered whether they might work with Empress figures, but I don't have any Empress infantry myself, so can't check. 

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
The figure comparison thread in the stickies compares Empress with other manufacturers.

Al