Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690535
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Firelock games 'Blood & Plunder'  (Read 25366 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Re: Firelock games 'Blood & Plunder'
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 05:52:33 PM »
That's a bummer. I've tried making my own sails before and though always look homemade to the point where they spoil the look of the model.  I know there are brilliant folks on this site to whom this is a piece of cake, but I don't think the average person is like this. You're essentially asking me to shell out for a model that to match your advertising photos requires scratch building skills, which I think is a mistake. You need to supply everything that the average shmoe needs to match your photos, at least in terms of the build.  Unfortunately this will be enough to prevent me from buying any of the ships. The figures and rules still look good however. I will use printable mats for the ship combat.

No sails sadly... It was in our original plans but something had to give to keep our price point  :-[

We will have downloads to print your own to use paper sails or use them as a template to create your own.

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2016, 02:19:00 AM »
Sorry to dissapoint on the sails, we really did make a significant effort to try and make it work but it's just not practical.

On the bright side, I'm glad you think the sails look convincing! The one with the white sails is literally just a piece of foam sheet cut to shape. No additional painting, staining or anything else required. We tried to see if we could get these cut to shape to include (they are dirt cheap) but could find no resource to get it done :(

We will be providing downloads of all the proper sail shapes at the right size for each ship. So replicating what you saw in the images would be a matter of printing the shapes, tracing it on the foam paper and then cutting it out. It took me (I'm bad at anything model/painting related) about 30 minutes to cut out the shapes and attach them to the Rigging.
Mike Tuńez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com

Offline henerius

• Bookworm
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2016, 07:19:06 AM »
That's a bummer. I've tried making my own sails before and though always look homemade to the point where they spoil the look of the model.  I know there are brilliant folks on this site to whom this is a piece of cake, but I don't think the average person is like this. You're essentially asking me to shell out for a model that to match your advertising photos requires scratch building skills, which I think is a mistake. You need to supply everything that the average shmoe needs to match your photos, at least in terms of the build.  Unfortunately this will be enough to prevent me from buying any of the ships. The figures and rules still look good however. I will use printable mats for the ship combat.

I use fast drying woodglue (PVA glue?) and 4 layers of paper. when dry it is sturdy enough to lift a fair amount of weight (which it doesn't need to but it stays in form perfectly).  I guess that since kindergarden most of us know how to gleu a piece of paper.  With the sail-plans provided you have anything you need.

I just mould the sails with my fingers into shape, if that does not work, use a broomstick, pen, bottle or whatever works to form the sails. By bending the lower corners a bit further you create the idea of tension.
Use a fair amount of glue on the edges. A sail splitting open there because of not enough glue can really ruin your day.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:53:50 AM by henerius »

Offline Fomorian

• Lurker
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2016, 10:59:02 PM »
There are rules for cavalry in the game and if things go well you may even see Spanish Mounted Lancers as a stretch goal in the Kickstarter!

There are rules for forts. Forts and rules essentially share the same rules except forts don't move around in water of course and generally have much higher fortitude values. :)

It's should probably mention this won't be just a pirate game. Though pirates are our focus right (and will be for some time to come) we also plan on doing various factions and conflicts in the new world. 

... so is there a small chance, that we could see the French and Indian War as one of these "various factions and conflicts" for example, in the far future ;)?

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:24 AM »
You should expect expansions for all of the French and Indian wars (and more!) eventually :)

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »
Will the kickstarter be EU friendly, i.e. will things be sent from within the EU? Because with all the miniatures and ships I don't see me paying tax and customs on top of that.

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
Will the kickstarter be EU friendly, i.e. will things be sent from within the EU? Because with all the miniatures and ships I don't see me paying tax and customs on top of that.

Great question! was wondering it myself  :D

DJ

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2016, 10:53:06 PM »

It will be EU friendly. I'm not super involved in that process but I know we are currently between a few different distributors to find the best solution.

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2016, 11:17:47 PM »
It will be EU friendly. I'm not super involved in that process but I know we are currently between a few different distributors to find the best solution.

Lovely, much appreciated!

Offline Aulė

• Assistant
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2016, 11:25:44 PM »
Very good new that it will be EU friendly  :)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2016, 12:38:03 AM »
Very good new that it will be EU friendly  :)

Ok - what about Antipodes friendly - we always get left out.  :)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2016, 03:11:55 AM »
Ok - what about Antipodes friendly - we always get left out.  :)

I asked about this today. Looks like down under may be all sorted as well :)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:49 AM »
I asked about this today. Looks like down under may be all sorted as well :)

That is good news.

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »

Great! This means you just got an 'all in' backer. Yaarr!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2016, 04:12:09 AM »
Yowzers - looks like you will be plundering my bank account shortly.  Neotacha and I are both fond of pirates and ships.

-Michael