Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:11:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Firelock games 'Blood & Plunder'  (Read 25388 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Firelock games 'Blood & Plunder'
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2016, 02:47:52 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the KS starts on Tuesday...anxious to see it.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Timmo

• Bookworm
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2016, 08:37:05 PM »
I think the idea of casting the metal base with the figure is a work of genius and it'll save time when preparing the forces. I'm really interested in the rules but have to admit to being little disappointed by the size of the figures but only because I have a modest collection of the excellent Foundry models. I'm not prepared to start over so 'yes' to the rules but sadly 'no' to the figures.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2016, 10:24:44 PM »
I think the idea of casting the metal base with the figure is a work of genius and it'll save time when preparing the forces. I'm really interested in the rules but have to admit to being little disappointed by the size of the figures but only because I have a modest collection of the excellent Foundry models. I'm not prepared to start over so 'yes' to the rules but sadly 'no' to the figures.

Why? What size are the figures? Have I missed something?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2016, 01:13:54 AM »
A little bigger than Foundry, apparently.  More Black Scorpion size.  There is a picture on p. 2 of this thread comparing a Firelock figure to BS and some other companies' pirates.

-Michael

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2016, 01:48:06 PM »
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know our Kickstarter goes live in just about 4 hours!

In the meantime I have put together a video that goes through a full turn of gameplay and explains many of the core mechanics. You can watch it here:

It's kind of low quality, but it does its job :)

As to scale, since we decided to make the minis more "true scale" they looked very tiny, even compared to some older 25mm scale minis! That's why we made them a tad taller. Really makes them look great. I can understand the apprehension though, I myself like everything looking right also...but perhaps we can lure you in eventually as we continue to expand our line!  lol
Mike Tuñez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com

Offline Tym

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2016, 03:00:26 PM »
Sorry, bit confused have you changed the figure from the picture on Page 2?  Will be a shame as if they are the same as P2 it will fit in with the rest of my collection. 

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2016, 03:39:30 PM »
Sorry, bit confused have you changed the figure from the picture on Page 2?  Will be a shame as if they are the same as P2 it will fit in with the rest of my collection. 

No, that figure is correct. Our figures are just slightly larger than some older ranges.

Offline Tym

• Scientist
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »
Great news I thought for a minute you were going for a larger figure. 

KEEP CALM and PLAY PIRATES   ;)

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »
$20 shipping to UK :(

Sad Panda.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »
$20 shipping to UK :(

Sad Panda.

Sadly, unless they have a Euro-distributor, that's actually a really reasonable price...

Here's a sample of what we can pay just within the United States, god help us when we ship abroad --- this is why you guys probably never order anything from the States!

:?  On behalf of our stupid postal service, I apologize to the rest of the world!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »
Sadly, unless they have a Euro-distributor, that's actually a really reasonable price...

Here's a sample of what we can pay just within the United States, god help us when we ship abroad --- this is why you guys probably never order anything from the States!

:?  On behalf of our stupid postal service, I apologize to the rest of the world!

Yeah I've seen far higher from US based KS projects.

The prices are pretty reasonable across the board really, although for everything I want I'd still be hugely over my meagre hobby budget.

Could those more clued up than me suggest any alternative model lines that are suitable period wise, or ones that would match the Firelock ones size wise? Just thinking about the future really.

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »
Could those more clued up than me suggest any alternative model lines that are suitable period wise, or ones that would match the Firelock ones size wise?

Not sure I really qualify - same issue over the miniatures for me as I already have a large Foundry collection, so I might wait until I can see them in the flesh/buy a couple from a UK distributor. Shame, as I really like the look of them.

You could look at Black Scorpion; good size match, period/Hollywood could be iffy.
Galloping Major's naval crew, but again the period might be a bit out.
Old Glory have a wide range, but like Foundry, probably off on the size match.
Otherwise not sure who else is doing a decent range of pirates that would fit both size and period.

Didn't stop me pledging for the rules of course, just need to restrain the 'ooh shiney!' tendencies*.

Well, they state they are EU friendly, so no customs duty - excellent! But a blanket EU postage rate at $20/£13, for just a rule book in my case, could be a bit steep; depending where in the EU its posted from of course.

*Obvious hook to increase my pledge level and stop whining then....

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »
Could those more clued up than me suggest any alternative model lines that are suitable period wise, or ones that would match the Firelock ones size wise? Just thinking about the future really.

I have a large Foundry collection, so they are out for me, but if I was starting from scratch I'd personally buy into the Firelock ones in a heart beat. It sounds like they intend to produce many more figures after the initial Kickstarter and are generally really nice, historically accurate figures. I don't think you'll find many alternatives that will compare.