Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: When it comes to 'renaissance' what is the best sub period, and why?  (Read 6760 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
It's a straw poll and will not tell us much, but what is your favourite renaissance period, and why?

My own, having done ECW, TYW and, if it qualifies by more than just by date, late medieval, is the Great Italian Wars 1495 -1530ish (the wars go on longer but my interest wanes after that). I like it because the weaponry and tactics are at there most diverse and because pike and shot are still very much different entities operating separately (no pike and shot units / sub units or ratios to speak of much). I might also have a thing for the costume (being a very colourful period) and the fact that most troops can be used for every nation and state, thus making collecting fruitful.

That's my choice, others will differ for other reasons.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: When it comes to 'renaissance' what is the best sub period, and why?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »
ECW.
Because:=
a)I can quite easily go to most of the battlefields (Edgehill & Naseby are less than 20 miles from me)
b)Army sizes are much smaller than 30 years War.
c)For the first part it was bumbling amateurs in charge (At Cheriton both side chose 'God is with us' as their 'pass word' .
d)It is part of my country's heritage (and part of the development of democracy, see the Putney debates)
e)Wide variety of troop types (Pike, shot, firelocks, clubmen, Dragoons, Horse, Cuirassiers, Moss troopers, Irish etc.)
f)Wide variety of scenarios, not just the big battles (Naseby, Marston Moor etc.) but small fights (English Civil War Notes & Queries used to have a series entitled 'Terribly obscure battles' with often just a few understrength units) Cavalry raids on the other side's wagons/supplies. Fights for fortified manor houses.  man hunt (Charlie Two and the Royal Oak at Boscobel house, which has its own priest holes). Last stands, such as the Royalists around the pulpit at Alton church. Far too many to list.
g) the bad old days of poor figures have long gone (Mini-Figs Muskets with cavalry helmets as well as Pikemans' breastplate,backplate & tassets.) we now have the likes of Empress Miniatures.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:50:03 PM »
Age of conquest, aztecs, inca, south american indians fighting conquistadors, the clash of civilisations old and new, proper swashbuckling stuff

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »
Even though I don't game it at the moment I'd have to say ECW.

The smaller scale actions really have an appeal especially an attack on a fortified manorhouse.

(lovely table by the way  :))

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:41:25 PM »
Thirty years War for me, wide variety of forces and settings plus everything is within the realms of possibility from gran armies to small mercenary raiding bands.

And as an added bonus a lot of the miniatures can be reused for ECW!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 03:40:34 AM »
I'll go for the Italian wars for two main reasons: firstly, they're a Hell of a lot of fun, with very distinctive armies and lots of variety; and secondly, because for once the word "renaissance" means something in this connexion, whereas it drives me crazy to hear it misapplied to Covenanters, Zaporozhians, Moghuls, Ming, or Sengoku!
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
Henry VIII's 1513 invasion of France, because my masochistic idiosyncrasy won't let me do anything else and it's so specifically obscure that I've had to practically create my own figures and opposing forces.

Did I mention that I rarely game too.

It's akin to searching for a new type of gravel - but I wouldn't have it any other way  :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »
Even though I don't game it at the moment I'd have to say ECW.

The smaller scale actions really have an appeal especially an attack on a fortified manorhouse.

(lovely table by the way  :))

cheers

James

Very tempting, especially having seen the recent Empress mounted/dismounted dragoons. I was imagining a skirmish set in a grey, drab, dirty wet village... uost resisit!
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 04:29:19 PM »
I should say eastern warfare, especially East-European between Poland Russia and Turkey with extra swedish crumpets added but I have problems with calling it Reneissaince..

So I have to chose Italian Wars too. My most memorable Renaissance games were in Italy, and My Italian Army will be finished earlier than Both Polish and Mughal conquest.

Apart from those two I want to do XXX Years War gaming in the future.

Really cant catch much interest in anything ECW - it has to be English + empire influenced parts of the world stuff.. :>
I get the heritage and battlefields, and museums and even cinema and TV.. but for me its just poor man TYW.

Offline caveadsum1471

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »
Great Italian wars for me, I'm a sucker for the costumes but I also like ECW or the War of the three kingdoms to use the less anglocentric name that I Scottish historians have started using for it, I blame the Airfix guide I picked up in WH Smith as a kid!
Best Iain

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »
I'm sure I read (in a book I've still got but can't find the reference!)  that the Three Kingdoms reference was used in the latter half of the 17th century to refer to the conflicts that covered the various stages of the wars including the Irish and Scottish elements. I'd go for the ECW too, it's a much more interesting period than people give it credit for, with options for big battles down to tiny skirmishes. It also offers local flavour for many areas of Britain.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 07:19:20 PM »
Very tempting, especially having seen the recent Empress mounted/dismounted dragoons. I was imagining a skirmish set in a grey, drab, dirty wet village... uost resisit!

Well then, there you go, that's the post Salute project taken care of  :D

cheers

James

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 07:22:13 PM »
Well then, there you go, that's the post Salute project taken care of  :D

cheers

James

One of our group is an ECW nut. He has hundreds of Renegade and Warlord figures but now wishes he had Empress. They weren't out when he started collecting but he was sorely tempted to start again. ECW looks like it would fit in very well with a lot of the Dorset terrain and buildings.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 07:35:16 PM »
One of our group is an ECW nut. He has hundreds of Renegade and Warlord figures but now wishes he had Empress. They weren't out when he started collecting but he was sorely tempted to start again. ECW looks like it would fit in very well with a lot of the Dorset terrain and buildings.

It would at that  :D

Plenty of stately homes to fortify and castles to make  ;D

cheers

James

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 07:38:50 PM »

Plenty of stately homes to fortify and castles to make  ;D

cheers

James

Ooh, that could be spectacular!