Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:43:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mike Bravo's State of Emergency range: A mini review.  (Read 1667 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Mike Bravo's State of Emergency range: A mini review.
« on: March 16, 2016, 09:10:04 PM »
Yesterday I was pleased to find  package in my post box containing a couple of packs of the new Mike Bravo Miniatures, so I thought I'd give a small review of them. I hope the owner doesn't mind.

The figures arrived on the other side of the world a bit over a fortnight after being ordered which isn't bad in this day and age and were well packed with no bent rifles or breakages. Ordering was easy and additional points for friendly customer service.

The minis themselves are rather nice. Nice amount of character to them, without being caricatures. Good attention to detail re the uniform and the posing is quite natural.  They are quite tall. They are about a head taller than pretty much all the other ranges I have, like Eureka,  Grippin Beast/MoFo, Mongrel, Artizan, LAF etc. I haven't sat them next to an Empress figure yet but I'd guess that they are a half a head taller. Because the bases are quite slim, it's not something that can be remedied by filing back the base. It's more noticeable with the standing army figures than the terrorists/ gunmen. That said, I'm not especially fussed, the difference at typical gaming distance isn't overwhelming and I doubt I'll be mixing these with other ranges anyway.

A few minor niggles. The carrying handle on the SLR is misplaced, it's too high but if that fusses you it's an easy fix with a craft knife and some plastic rod. The berets are a little lumpy for my tastes and the squatting figure appears to have had his knees filed back, as they are quite flat . Maybe a casting problem? The G-3 wielded by one of the terrorist figures is stonkingly big but otherwise not a bad representation of the weapon.

Overall these are very likeable figures and I'm really looking forward to painting them up. Possibly because of the subject matter but I'm somewhat reminded of larger versions of the old 20mm Hotspur Combat Miniatures range. That's a positive in my view as they were nice figures. Combined with good customer service, I'm pleased to say I'm a happy customer and can see myself buying more in the future.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
Re: Mike Bravo's State of Emergency range: A mini review.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:33:59 AM »
Thanks Carlos - very useful.

The Brits are going to be remoulded so I'll get Robi to check the knees, it may be the casting over-exaggerating the effect he was trying to achieve.  The carry handle point may be more difficult as the weapons are pre-cast but I'll mention it - we can possibly at least fix it for the Wild Geese later on.  Ditto the G3 - not sure if we'll be using the G3 again but we can perhaps look at it if we do.

I will try to dig out some Empress & UFM figures later.  I didn't think they were too noticeably out of line with those but will leave it for others to judge!

I'm also aware of another customer review that has some comparison photos to illustrate Carlos's point a bit further:  http://saskminigamer.blogspot.ca/2016/03/mike-bravo-miniatures-part-one.html

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Mike Bravo's State of Emergency range: A mini review.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »
That's good, saves me taking snaps myself, which I was going to do once I had based them. I understand the UFM figures are taller so these should match. The size doesn't really worry me, I'm not especially anal about such things.

Might be nice to see some variants in lightweight trousers and the odd one in NI boots for period feel. If there was one thing I'd ask your sculptor to work on it's the berets, the shrunken head look being fashionable at the time.

You can put me down for the next lot. Whilst I don't have an actual use for these, I'm keen to see you prosper and hopefully the SAS will see the light of day.