Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:23:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691142
  • Total Topics: 118376
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Crossover Minis Hullcutter  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Crossover Minis Hullcutter
« on: March 17, 2016, 05:06:39 AM »
The Omura.

An MDF lasered kit, runs a few bucks. Big.  I had some back and forth with Rusti before I purchased it, and then spent last weekend putting this big boy together.  About 28" long, 16" wide, and 20" tall with masts.  If you are looking for a centerpiece for your Martian 25/28mm forces, after beating this model into submission...

Shut up and give Rusti your money. Seriously. Now.

Here - http://crossoverminiatures.com/product/omura-martian-airship/

The model goes together pretty easily.  If you are complete amateur, you may have some parts that give you trouble - for me, the worst part was waiting for glue to set - but it is pretty well laid out in the instructions he sends you.  His customer service when I had concerns was exemplary, and he was receptive to suggested changes in the instructions.  I cannot stress it enough - if you want a ship like this, this is the ship to buy.

Fully built.

Primed.

Now that I have your attention, where the hell do I get armament for this guy?  If I want to keep it 1889 or Valor Steel and Flesh compatible, where do you suggest I get weapons?  RAFM never did much in the way of artillery, and I don't think Parroom is available anywhere anymore.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Crossover Minis Hullcutter
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »
*complete amateur holds up his hand*

I'm still gluing up the fore section; when he warns 'dry fit before gluing' he means it. Plenty of places where you need to be sure you've room as set up. Few marks of 'this sits right here.'

Sinew, having seen your projects in the past, I knew you'd have no troubles in particular. If one has all ten digits as opposable, as I, buy it anyway, and TAKE YOUR TIME.

However, I STILL think it needs scrollwork on the side panels; as I'm even worse with a paint brush than I am with the glue, I've found some laser-cut pieces at Michael's that I think will quarter nicely, and place around the edges.

TMP regularly has the armament question; I'll give a look, but think Reviresco (tin-soldier.com) and Houston (not sure where to find them) get the mention. Might have a look at Ironwind, as I think they've some of the old Ral Partha stuff.

I'm thinking harpoon launcher for grappling, mind you.

Doug

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:34:41 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »
Reviresco has plenty of Earth artillery, as does the Armchair General, but I don't remember seeing alien style artillery like Rod Guns, or Sweepers.

You are utterly correct on the dry fit part - that saved me a lot of trouble.  Myself, I am making banners to hang from the sides on those flat spots.

EDIT:

I was wrong - the virtual Armchair has what I was looking for!  And it is the Houston's Guns you were thinking of.

http://www.thevirtualarmchairgeneral.com/505-houstons%20guns%20&%20fittings.htm
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:22:50 PM by Sinewgrab »

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »
Sinew, nicely done!   It's great to see it finished by someone else.  These are the first pictures that I know of of the ship in the wild.  :)

I look forward to seeing one with some paint on it!  I haven't even painted my own yet, for two reasons:  I am a terrible painter and it would not make it look better if I were to try, and I've been spending my time making some opposition.

I purchased some guns from The Virtual Armchair General, (houston's guns) and they are nice, but definitely 'true 25' and on the smaller side compared to modern figures. 

Keep us posted, I can't wait to see some paint and flags on that guy!

What's her name?  It's bad luck to have a ship without a name...

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:54:44 PM »
May not be right for this particular ship, but some VSF ship deserves to be armed with Dr. Promethius' Death Ray from Pulp Figures:

https://pulpfigures.com/products/view/54
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Comstar

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 10:30:46 PM »
I know this is wheeled but the gun itself may work well with a different mounting.

http://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3604627-Gun02.html

Edit: Found more from curious constructs:

I really like the flamer out of all of them :)

http://curiousconstructs.theslowcentury.com/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=189
Cheers Matt
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:47:32 PM by Comstar »
Cheers Matt

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 12:25:39 AM »
No name yet - we'll see what she feels like when I have a coat of paint on her.

The Curious Constructs are interesting, and the Pulp Figures gun is one I have always coveted, but never found an excuse for.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 05:12:54 AM »
I have some odd stuff that might interest you old friend. Also the old Heritage John Carter of Mars line had a Martian gun that would look good too. If you can find one out in miniature land somewhere.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 05:48:22 AM »
We can connect at Enfilade if I have not already armed this lady.  I am considering running a Pulp Alley game between the deck of this and the deck of Gungnir, with the various leagues using skiffs and swinging on lines to cross between the two ships.  They practically fill the suggested 3' x 3' playing area by themselves.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 01:21:36 PM »
Where's Gungnir?  I'd love to have a look :)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 06:06:10 PM »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 02:40:06 AM »
We can connect at Enfilade if I have not already armed this lady.  I am considering running a Pulp Alley game between the deck of this and the deck of Gungnir, with the various leagues using skiffs and swinging on lines to cross between the two ships.  They practically fill the suggested 3' x 3' playing area by themselves.

Oh yes! That sounds like great fun.  :D :D

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 04:02:00 AM »

They are certainly large enough - once I get the new base made for Gungnir to match heights with all the others, we'll be good to go.

And yes, I am going with a golden yellow for the Omura -  I am actually using it to try and learn how to use my airbrush.

Offline Richard

• Librarian
  • Oh-dear
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 02:55:47 PM »
Looking great, the Zing stuff is great highly recommended.
Regards
Richard
Grumpy Old Git

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 07:13:12 PM »
Right-o on the Houston Guns; I think they were originally part of the Houston that also had small ships, but that may be mere glimmer.

I'm not as fond of the Curious Constructs for this ship; if I were, I already have and would be satisfied with RAFM's Rippenoff's Death Ray. With or without Johan.  ;)

Could use my Death in the Dark blunderbuss-ed dwarves for grapple guns.

I have some odd stuff that might interest you old friend. Also the old Heritage John Carter of Mars line had a Martian gun that would look good too. If you can find one out in miniature land somewhere.

As for the Barsoomian source, I've a Radium Gun somewhere, but still doesn't fit my imagination for this.

Doug