Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690590
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 716
Total: 722

Recent

Author Topic: Perry miniatures and Colonel Snook together again for the Cape Frontier  (Read 10515 times)

Offline fantail

• Librarian
I love Mike Snook's books on the Sudan so I am crazy excited by the two new books that he has done for the Perrys on the Cape Frontier Wars (7th and 8th) not to mention a range of figures by the Perrys. I had planned to game this period with HLBSco 40mm figures but they gave up on the range so this is awesome news.
Andrew

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
I love Mike Snook's books on the Sudan so I am crazy excited by the two new books that he has done for the Perrys on the Cape Frontier Wars (7th and 8th) not to mention a range of figures by the Perrys. I had planned to game this period with HLBSco 40mm figures but they gave up on the range so this is awesome news.
Andrew

I think you may have let the cat out of the bag prematurely.

Darrell.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:49:31 PM by Atheling »

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Well now that the cat's out,tell us more  :)

Offline fantail

• Librarian
Well I read it today in the latest Wargames Illustrated so I didn't think it was top secret. Still looking forward to it.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Rob Baker did some really nice figures for the Kaffir Wars (Cape Wars) under the 1st Corps banner that he use to run, and they had a lot of life and character in them. Sadly, the natives weren't so plentiful. Sadder still, the range never really took off despite what really great figures Rob sculpted. I know Rob was inspired by Bill Horan's work, and a lot of that shows through in the campaign dress of the range. I think the range is now with the current owners of 1st Corps.

I had heard a long time back that the Twins were thinking of moving into this period - there were 8 wars in total over a long time frame - and it should prove interesting. Mostly because if they do the later wars the figures they have a lot of crossover to other small campaigns, and that would be great!

I am hoping Renedra pulls out another miracle and has the plastic Colonial British ready for Salute...and that this will be followed up by a box of plastic Afghans...and some plastic Boers....plastic Zulus...etc....

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Well I read it today in the latest Wargames Illustrated so I didn't think it was top secret. Still looking forward to it.

Me too. :)

Is it mentioned in the March edition of WI? If so, where?

Darrell.

Offline fantail

• Librarian
It was a full page ad in the latest issue on the self at my local gaming store. Not the issue with Marlborough on the cover so I think it must have been the April issue, so as for letting the cat out of the bag, a full page ad in a magazine is not a good way to keep a secret.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
It was a full page ad in the latest issue on the self at my local gaming store. Not the issue with Marlborough on the cover so I think it must have been the April issue, so as for letting the cat out of the bag, a full page ad in a magazine is not a good way to keep a secret.

I can only assume that it was an official announcement then so apologies and also great! :) I've been sitting on this info for a while after someone took me into their confidence.

It's a fascinating period (man, I hate that word!) and one that I've been meaning to game but for lack of a comprehensive range, which I'm sure that the Perry's will be able to supply, probably at lightening speed!  :D

Some very interesting uniforms and troop types.

Is it just me or is it irritating when WI (are you sure it was WI?) deliver to the shops before their subscribers?

Darrell.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Sounds interesting.
Any new figures for the colonial period is of interest to me.
At least I can add them to my lead pile. ;)
I do love the books that Colonel Snook has written.
The Perrys and the Colonel, can't go wrong with those guys.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:50:44 PM by Marine0846 »
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
WI arrived today........

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Should be brilliant and more importantly (thanks to Col. Mike Snook) be educational (which is probably more important- I know!)..... trust me to say that  :o

Darrell

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Perry miniatures and Colonel Snook together again for the Cape Frontier
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »
Announced on the Perries Facebook page, looks like the book will be released at Salute with figures arriving just a little before that.

A good list of conflicts, hoping to see figures for a lot of them.  :D

If only there was a set of colonial wargames rules coming out later in the year...  ::)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 12:11:42 PM »
The first pics are up on the Perry Fb page (same as the ones appearing in WI, no doubt) :

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »
Beautiful as always!

If only there was a set of colonial wargames rules coming out later in the year...  ::)

My exact thought  ;)  :D

Offline fantail

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 01:29:39 PM »
Glad you WI finally arrived Darrell :) . Those photos are lovely. I just love the idea of this range combined with the books. Boers and Zulus coming as well according to facebook.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »
Those line troops in the second pick are ideal at friest glance for maori flagstaff war. I took 50 1st corp figures from their range and head swapped them for variety for my maori wars games, those look cracking