Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:08:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Two Questions About Pulp Alley  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Two Questions About Pulp Alley
« on: March 18, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »
Right, I'm gearing up to play my first game of Pulp Alley and would appreciate any thoughts on two questions.

First, I will be using it for games set in the Greek mythological world (think of the old Clash of the Titans and you'll be right on target), so there will obviously be no guns. There will likely be an archer or two in different leagues, but the emphasis will be firmly on hand-to-hand combat. My question is, do the rules work for such games? I remember seeing a post here a year or so ago and the writer seemed to have a great time playing a fantasy game, so I'd guess the answer is yes, but I'd appreciate any tips from those who've run such scenarios before. Are there any things to change, watch out for? By the way, I own the Leagues book, and so would use some of the tweaks suggested there, like armour, weapon stats, etc. Anything else?

Second, have any of you ever ditched the plot points idea for a game? I know they are a pretty integral part of the system, but I'm still curious. Here's why: I'm thinking that quite a few of my games in old Greece wouldn't quite fit the frame of having two comparable leagues going for the same objectives. For example, what if my hero and his stalwart companions (=my league) wanted to plunge into a labyrinth and take on a minotaur? I could obviously construct the beast as a terror, could map out perilous areas, etc...all the usual stuff, but seeing the minotaur galloping about trying to grab plot points is a little harder for me to picture. A chimaera or hydra seem even less likely to do this. I hope this makes sense.

(This doesn't mean the idea of two competing leagues would never work, by the way. On the contrary, for many games it would work perfectly: a group of heroes against a twisted villain and his band of thugs, skeletons, and so forth. I'm just curious if they would work for games where the two sides had different objectives.)

I've been rereading my copy of Perilous Island and scanning some of the forums to look for ideas. One I quite like is treating a monster as an extreme peril for two competing leagues. Anyway, I've rambled enough. I'd guess the answer to both question is "yes" or "just try it", but any suggestions or thoughts would nonetheless be much appreciated! Thank you!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: Two Questions About Pulp Alley
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:13:31 PM »
You can do away with plot-points. No problem. You will have a blast playing this way. However....

A Terror such as a Minotaur or a similar legendary threat wouldn't be likely to chase plot points, rather it would protect them. So why not keep the plot points and give the players something to strive for. This would be a best of both worlds way to play. :)

I think a 'classical' setting would be terrific to play. Lots more dodging of missile attacks, that's for sure!

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »
Oh yes! This a such a fun setting for Pulp Alley.  :D

Pulp Leagues is packed with ideas and optional rules for adding a bit more detail to different genres, so feel free to use the ones you like and ignore the rest.  ;)

You can have lots of fun removing the plot points and just going at it! And you may also try reducing the number of plot points, just depending on the type of scenario you feel like playing. This idea is also covered in Pulp Leagues -- check out the Setting list on page 33.

Plot Points can add a little extra depth to what appear to be fairly basic scenarios. For example, using the going into a labyrinth to kill a minotaur, maybe a couple of these ideas could add a little extra something........

Plot Point --  Blind King - the hero could find an old man who is actually the rightful king and being held prisoner by the monster...
Plot Point -- Seven-Eyes Relic - the hero could find an old magic item that will help him defeat the monster...
Plot Point -- Lost Map - the hero could locate a strange map to a hidden treasure (leading to his next adventure!)...
Plot Point -- The Witch - The secret master of the minotaur. Capturing her will make it easier to defeat the monster...
Plot Point -- The Secret Door - A hidden passage that allows the hero to gain an edge on the monster...
Plot Point -- The Puzzle Room - Solving the puzzle could ... open a secret door, or summon the monster, or provide a valuable clue, or set a trap for the monster, or disarm a trap for the hero, and so on.
Plot Point -- ...etc...

Having different objectives for the sides works perfectly fine. Also, remember the "reason" behind the objective can be different as well. For example, maybe one side wants to defeat the minotaur so it will stop attacking the villages - but the other side wants to defeat the minotaur so they can control it and use it for their own evil schemes!  :o

Let us know how it goes!

HAVE FUN

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 10:35:10 PM »
Thank you both for the replies. I have to admit to shaking my head and thinking "Now why didn't I think of that?" after reading Mr. Peabody's suggestion to have only one league going for the plot points. The other could play "the defender". It's so obvious now I'm embarrassed by not thinking of it on my own. I suppose that's why we have places like LAF.  ;)

Dave, your plot point ideas are really superb. I obviously need to start thinking more flexibly; perhaps it will come with greater familiarity with the rules. Anyway, I plan to steal all of them, so thank you!

I'm biased, of course, but I do think Harryhausen-esque adventures set in the mythical Aegean has some potential for Pulp Alley. After all, there are some of the best monsters ever created, larger than life heroes and enough potential feats of derring-do to fill a shipload of amphorae, all set against a backdrop of marble temples (ruined or otherwise), mysterious olive groves, lonely altars and the wine-dark sea. There's also the excuse to indulge in a fine meal along with some honeyed wine post game...

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:25:02 PM »
Will you be using any of the Greek Mythology Monsters from Wargames Foundry?

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/greek-mythology/monsters/
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 03:29:27 AM »
Hi Warren,

The Foundry figures are really lovely, but I've invested in the 50mm range from Alternative Armies. A very unusual scale, to put it mildly, but I think they have a lot of character, and love the extra size--they look great on the table!

Daryl

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 05:00:17 PM »
Hi Warren,

The Foundry figures are really lovely, but I've invested in the 50mm range from Alternative Armies. A very unusual scale, to put it mildly, but I think they have a lot of character, and love the extra size--they look great on the table!

Wow! 50mm! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this.  :o :D