Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:12:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Do herbs rot over a couple of years?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Do herbs rot over a couple of years?
« on: May 15, 2020, 03:21:50 AM »
I was thinking about using either mixed herbs or dried basil as forest floor stuck down with PVA and possibly dry brushed.  Not too worried about it fading more going to mush in a year or so.

I have had packs of lichen for years with no sign of rot (or fungus) but never tried herbs and I'm guessing this board will get recycled in a couple of years.

I know of forest floor flock mixes made from sponge etc but I like the rough 'twiggy' look of the herbs.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Do herbs rot over a couple of years?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 03:26:41 AM »
I used mixed herbs on jungle bases over 5 years ago and it has not decomposed (yet).
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 03:42:25 AM »
As long as they don't get damp, they should be fine.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 03:56:38 AM »
Lichen does get brittle eventually, but not rot.

Herbs should be fine, though they may fade a bit. Especially with PVA plasticizing them somewhat.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:53:53 AM »
They don't rot as such but will eventually crumble off.
I don't use them on gaming figures but they were a core scenic item in my BMSS/IPMS modelling for years.  Over time (like 30 or so years) most of the herbs have come off despite the varnish or pva coating. Just gently brushing or blowing the dust off the displays is enough to dislodge them now.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 04:24:20 PM »
That's great - thank you all for the quick responses.

Time to find my way to the strange domain known as the kitchen cupboard - wish me luck as you wave me goodbye!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 04:35:50 PM »
I make 'Forest Floor Mulch' with a blend of tea leaves* and cheapo mixed herbs (the cheapest ones often have little twiggy bits still in them). Because everything's dry and then gets a nice coat of spray varnish, it seems to last nicely. You can drybrush different shades on it when it's stuck down and add little leaves or sticks with PVA.

*I rip open used tea bags and pile them onto an oven tray. This is then baked in the oven on a low heat for a couple of hours to thoroughly dry it. If it's not completely dry before you put it in your tub it grows mould.

This is what it looks like in situ, with added rocks, tufts and birch seed scales -

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 05:13:43 PM »
Do be careful. I've had sad experiences with using Mexican black beans as mielie bags (weevils - and microwaving them in advance was useless; they're too small), and coffee grounds can certainly grow alarming yellow-orange moulds.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 09:58:06 PM »
Not had any mold or growth problems, but I have had herbs stuck down with PVA (and then brush varnished) crumble over a couple of years, espcially in places where they contact fingers, like base edges and so forth.

Where they were completely coated in diluted PVA they lasted longer, it seems ground size - i.e how fine or coarse the herbs are - makes a difference; not rocket science but big stuff crumbles more than fine.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 11:33:36 PM »
@cubs - they are great. I cannot remember seeing any of those figures before.

@FierceKitty - thanks for the nightmare warning.  I had not thought about beans or coffee but I'll remember.

@Flinty - I was looking more for ground works so folk lowering figures over it will have a big impact (sorry) maybe I'll try it in deeper woods / impassible terrain first.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 10:49:16 PM »
Using herbs is brilliant! I use mixed herbs,soil from the garden and a little umber pigment ,and throw in the blender. Looks great  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »
@cubs - they are great. I cannot remember seeing any of those figures before.

Sorry I lost track of this thread, they're Conquest Games 'Wealdgeist' (woodland spirits) from their 'Myths of Albion' range.