Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Havoc: Tactical Miniature Warfare'...  (Read 10416 times)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
'Havoc: Tactical Miniature Warfare'...
« on: August 10, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »
...talk to me.  Anybody played it?  Impressions?  I found that this thread on TGN Talk gave a good overview of the rules, but feedback from players would be useful.  Would it work as a suitable alternative to SBH, for instance?  Ta.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
Re: 'Havoc: Tactical Miniature Warfare'...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »
Funghy-Fipps:

Here's a link to a review on TMP that was done after I demoed HAVOC for a gaming group in Atlanta.
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=204271

There are also a couple of short reviews on the Amazon.com listing.
http://www.amazon.com/Havoc-Tactical-Miniature-Brent-Spivey/dp/0984303707/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258386710&sr=8-1

If you have any questions that I can answer for you, then don't hesitate to ask!

Brent
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:51:27 AM »
Thanks for the reply Brent.  I somehow missed the review on TMP and it has proved most illuminating.  I must say that everything I've thus far read about this 'set has made me rather excited. 

Will there be a UK stockist at some point (North Star, for instance)?  I have no qualms whatsoever about ordering from the US, but I do occasionally (in a fit of magnanimity) like to give local companies my business.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply Brent.  I somehow missed the review on TMP and it has proved most illuminating.  I must say that everything I've thus far read about this 'set has made me rather excited. 

Excited is good!

Will there be a UK stockist at some point (North Star, for instance)?  I have no qualms whatsoever about ordering from the US, but I do occasionally (in a fit of magnanimity) like to give local companies my business.

There will be true global distribution in the future through Amazon and Barnes & Noble. As of right now, you can get it on amazon.com and the eStore on my developer blog. I haven't approached and  overseas distributors as of yet, mostly because I didn't know which would be the best fit, has the best reputation, etc. You mentioned North Star... any other suggestions?

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »
You mentioned North Star... any other suggestions?

North Star are pretty good at supporting 'home-brew' rule-sets, although I'm afraid I don't know what their actual criteria for carrying stuff is.  Your Origins 2010 nomination should stand you in good stead whoever you approach.  And the proposed variants (did someone mention a Sci Fi version?). Other than that I don't really know who to recommend as potential stockists on this side of the pond (especially when it comes to that peculiar and, frankly, rather scary continent across the Channel).

Excited is good!

Well, just how many decent Fantasy Skirmish rules are there out there?  I do really like SBH, but in jaded moments find it a tad too simplistic ('though this generally depends on how much I've had to drink).  I dislike rule-sets that tie you down to a particular 'setting'; limiting both the player's imagination and the amount of miniatures in his collection that can be utilised.  I do like - as I'm sure most 'sane' gamers will agree - originality and intuitiveness, both of which I think can be seen in Havoc (although, of course, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating!).

Being an impatient so-and-so I think I'll get a copy direct from your eStore in the near future...

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 12:28:22 AM »
You won't be sorry Funghy old boy - its a damn good read - I'm looking forward to playing it in more depth and will write up a more in depth review once I'm back in the saddle from my hols...  :D

Offline pfaghe

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
...talk to me.  Anybody played it?  Impressions?  I found that this thread on TGN Talk gave a good overview of the rules, but feedback from players would be useful.  Would it work as a suitable alternative to SBH, for instance?  Ta.

we are playing both in my group, SBH engine from Ganesha and the new Havoc.

SBH and Havoc are not similar at all if not in the open list construction, open miniatures choice, pure fun and story/adventure approach. Both are very good and both a must have, my opinion and in my group we are playing only these actually  ;).

The first is a simple game perfect for skirmish pickup-games/campaigns/tournaments (5-15 miniatures 28mm on 90cmx90cm table or 15mm miniatures) fantasy, napoleonic, modern and sci-fi background. simple rules but not so simple to master (the best is use all the rules from all the different settings, SDS and Flying Lead also are a must ).

Havoc is a very nice book that worh all the money only if you just read it (like Ganesha in the right proportion), the rules are perfect for a historical/fantasy gran tactical game (20-30 miniatures 28mm on 120cmx120cm table). Is not for a mass game my opinion, like Warhammer or like the next Ganesha Song of Armies and Hordes fantasy mass ruleset on the way. The rules are a lot more than Ganesha, more like the rules of Warhammer but nice, clever, very very detailed and perfect to use in a smaller scale (the scale that we prefer actually).

You will like this rules 100%  ;)

here another some different review/Battle reports links (sry I don't know if you post this one in some other post) :)

THE MINIATURES PAGE REVIEW
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=204271

TGN battle report
http://talk.tabletopgamingnews.com/index.php?topic=701.0

VOODOO-INK
http://voodooink.wordpress.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
Having seen the TMP review I am thoroughly intrigued by HAVOC. I have been looking for a skirmish/medium sized game set for my Westerosi / Game of Thrones figures. My preferred massed fantasy battle set is Armies of Arcana which has a good points system and covers almost all the troop types. Others on the forum have suggested GW Lord of the Rings Strategy game as a good skirmish set, but that has only a few comparable types that can be adapted that feature in Martin's novels.
HAVOC on the other hand would seem at first glance to cover all the bases with some interesting game play and some excellent tactical elements. I will definitely be checking it out.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:17:51 AM »
I am currently reading a copy of HAVOC and am thoroughly liking what I am reading thus far. I too have been raised from my teenage years with D&D to Warhammer, WRG and numerous other rulesets that have all had racial variations for the fighting abilities of Elves, Orcs etc. It is so engrained it is hard to imagine a system without them. The only other ruleset I know of that does that is the DBA/HOTT series that define units by their weapon/fighting style.
However, I think the mechanism for play will bring out the varying tactics of the races in that an Orkish player may steam in for a brutal close quarter melee, whereas an Elvish player will probably make more use of missile fire, and it depends upon the forces involved and the attributes of the 'Named' that are chosen. In DBA/HOTT the fighting styles of the various historical nations and fantasy races came out in the game play, so I am confident that HAVOC will draw out the same...
A possible option would be to make some of the troop types from The One set cheaper for certain races?

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 10:33:47 PM »
See Havoc is available now at a really good price http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/88673/HAVOC-Tactical-Miniature-Warfare-BUNDLE

From 19.99 to 9.99 and includes 2 Dave Graffam card models.

I am surprised that this rules set has had seemingly so little coverage especially on LAF.