Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:40:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689635
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sukhe's Armies of Middle Earth  (Read 25125 times)

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
Re: Sukhe's Armies of Middle Earth
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2016, 03:20:09 PM »
I know you are entitled to interpret it any way you want, but to my eyes the Tolkien illustration shows a free standing fortress where the outer wall doesn't intersect the cliff and the right hand side wall is about a third the length of the of the left hand one.

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson
"There is a pleasure sure In being mad which none but madmen know."

~John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, 1681

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2016, 02:53:53 AM »
One thing you might consider doing is loading up Lord of the Rings: Online and wandering around Helms Deep a bit there, it's a quite interesting take on things and could work well for ideas.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »
I know interpreting other people's sketches etc. is fraught, but I think jthomlin may have overlooked the rear curtain wall (see highlighted area) which extends from where the Deeping wall reaches the summit of the Hornrock, back around the rear edge of the rock and joins the cliff face to the rear of the Hornburg. This cliff face appears to have been scooped out creating a kind of amphitheatre shape into which the Hornburg was constructed, but as a free standing structure. I know the proportions of my sketch are off...

This is how I read the sketch with the additional wall marked 'X'.

The junction between the Deeping Wall and the round curtain walls of the Hornburg is more pronounced than my original sketch (Phase 2). This suggests the Hornburg circuit was freestanding and the Deeping Wall abutted it, rather than merely being an extension of it at the top of the Hornrock.

I'm not altogether convinced creating a bespoke Helm's Deep is necessarily going to work for me. Since I'm likely to go down the modular route (for storage considerations as much as anything else), I may follow Doug Larsen's route and model a freestanding castle that is broadly representative of Tolkien's concept, but with mods that mean I can morph it into a freestanding castle for GoT.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:15:15 PM by sukhe_bator »
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »
I know interpreting other people's sketches etc. is fraught, but I think jthomlin may have overlooked the rear curtain wall (see highlighted area) which extends from where the Deeping wall reaches the summit of the Hornrock, back around the rear edge of the rock and joins the cliff face to the rear of the Hornburg.

Sorry I can't see that, it looks like the near bank of the stream and the slope of the cliff behind the main tower. If it was a wall I would have thought there was at least a tower or two along it like the others and it should hit the cliff face at a similar height to right hand wall.

But hey, based on a fuzzy enlargement of quick sketch of a fictional location, either way seems more accurate than most previous interpretations  ...  ;)

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson

Bunny

« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2016, 10:53:12 AM »
So if there's anyone out there in the UK who wants to stage a mega Middle Earth or fantasy based bash at Salute 2017????..... ;)

I love fantasy mass battle and have a massive 15mm collection....would enjoy a large demo game at next year's Salute.

there are pictures of some of my collection on my blog

www.warrenswargamesrantings.blogspot.com

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2017, 08:45:06 AM »
As part of my 2017 initiative I have temporarily switched focus from Westeros back onto my armies of Middle Earth.
I have a huge backlog of minis waiting to be organised and painted up. A large portion of these are GW LotR minis rebased for mass battles. I am concentrating on basic army building - finally addressing the hordes of the unwashed... 12 figures at a time.
Top on my bucket list is a mass battle refight of Pelennor fields. To this end I have amassed several armies worth of baddies, siege engines etc. Time to roll my sleeves up and crack on...

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »
Keep crackin' Suk!
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2017, 07:35:20 PM »
Keep crackin' Suk!

What he said, simply love this thread!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline WimVdB

• Librarian
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2017, 09:29:55 PM »
As part of my 2017 initiative I have temporarily switched focus from Westeros back onto my armies of Middle Earth.
I have a huge backlog of minis waiting to be organised and painted up. A large portion of these are GW LotR minis rebased for mass battles. I am concentrating on basic army building - finally addressing the hordes of the unwashed... 12 figures at a time.
Top on my bucket list is a mass battle refight of Pelennor fields. To this end I have amassed several armies worth of baddies, siege engines etc. Time to roll my sleeves up and crack on...

Very much looking forward to new pics!
The unending Battle against the Lead Mountain can be followed at
http://miniwargamers.blogspot.be/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
Thanks to Andym's magic wand, the veil has now been lifted over the images on this thread...