Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690738
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My review of the Day of the Rangers kickstarter  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Auspainter

• Librarian
My review of the Day of the Rangers kickstarter
« on: April 21, 2016, 01:51:19 AM »
Hi guys,

Recently received my pledge for Radio Dishdash's Day of the Rangers Kickstarter for the 1993 conflict in Somalia (aka Black Hawk Down). I thought I'd do a little review of the figures I got (plenty of pictres)

http://rogerspaintworks.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: My review of the Day of the Rangers kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:58:46 AM »
Good review, the figures look nice. I think they are ebob sculpts as know from mates the dishdash muj are quite a bit smaller than empress or eureka.

Now I gamed this a good few years ago on larger scale using arc of fire in platoon sized games using mofo figures. Wonder how they compare with those as from memory they were a little smaller than current offerings from empress

Offline Auspainter

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »
Yeh good question, I only have Empress moderns or I would've put up a few other manufacturers. I reckon they're definitely passable as the Somali blokes would've been skinnier than the average American too

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »
Those do look good. Seems like they would be a reasonable match for Eureka's Somalis albeit a bit smaller and the posing a wee bit stiffer but variety is the spice of life.

I'm still trying to work out what the machine gun the Somali in the first picture is holding, doesn't resemble anything I can think of,off the top of my head.

BTW variable leg length seems to be an Ebob trademark. I have some of the Chinese he sculpted for Col. Stone and in addition to being small and quite fine one of the prone chaps has one leg noticeably longer than the other.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:46:25 AM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:15:42 PM »
Looks like a PKM with the wrong barrel, presumably because the sculptor thought the original was too fiddly. That or some militiaman found half a PKM and half a Lewis gun and thought they were cross compatible.

Similarly that AK looks more like an AN-94, but unless that was deliberate, I doubt one of those found its way out of Russian hands given how much those are coveted there.

Great look models. They're a bit more characterful than Empress', those yes a somewhat static too. For moderns though you take what you can get, and there's certainly a hell of a lot worse minis out there. :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:17:16 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Auspainter

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:49:26 PM »
I'll try add up a picture of all the other poses tomorrow so you guys can get a better idea. Probably wont wash them all as it takes a while but I'll try get enough definition on them to make it worthwhile

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
All of the proportions of the weapons seem very off. The PKM in particular but the RPG is very chunky too and I really don't know if that's supposed to be an RPK or what on the second Somali.

The US weapons are also, strictly speaking, incorrect- Ranger RTOs were some of the few Rangers on the day to be carrying Colt Carbines whilst the carbines carried by the operators mounted Aimpoints and weapon lights.

Offline Auspainter

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
I'm not the best with russian built weapons really so I couldn't say. For those of you who are interested I took photos of the rest of the Somalis and put them up in another blog post. Just a quick and nasty but you get an idea of what you're looking at.

http://rogerspaintworks.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Queeg

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 12:20:33 AM »
Good review, the figures look nice. I think they are ebob sculpts as know from mates the dishdash muj are quite a bit smaller than empress or eureka.

The Somalis and Rangers are 3D rendered, not EBOB sculpts.

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
The Somalis and Rangers are 3D rendered, not EBOB sculpts.

You're correct - I saw the 3D printed masters at Adepticon. The entire DOTR range is 3D rendered and printed, then cast in metal for production.

Offline Queeg

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 09:56:22 PM »
You're correct - I saw the 3D printed masters at Adepticon. The entire DOTR range is 3D rendered and printed, then cast in metal for production.

Yup, my brother pulled out of the company while these were under design .... so it wasn't really a guess :)