Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Germans vs Masai in East Africa c.1890  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Germans vs Masai in East Africa c.1890
« on: March 25, 2016, 12:32:48 AM »
Gents,

A pretty big game of Rifles & Spears - 750pts and the blooding (literally) of the Germans in Masailand.

Lots too see and enjoy.

Germans  vs Masai c.1890, East Africa

Check it out here...

http://wp.me/p1YrZG-Bk

Cheers

Happy W

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Germans vs Masai in East Africa c.1890
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 12:55:36 AM »
A rather nice game that gets extra marks, 4 of them, one each for the rhino and the 3, yes 3, giraffes.   ;D Though a minor demerit for choosing to use all khaki Germans (less the white coated officer?) rather than something more colorful.   ::) But that is only my personal conceit since I plan to go ahistorical and put my German African colonial troops in something a little more colorful.  Just personal taste.  Sorry, no extra marks for the cattle - not even the scenario victorious ones.  But glad you included them.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 03:22:09 AM »
"3 Giraffes"

...nice pick up  :D

The Germans weren't mine and I shall be doing my Askaris in the old DOAG Colors (Copplestone figs- lovely).

When I get these done I should be able to field Carl Peters expedition....bit to do to get them done however.

Given the ferocity of these Masai I'm a bit concerned the Emin Pasha expedition won't survive a game!

The firepower tweaks I've made should push the effectiveness of firearms up a bit though the card sequencing is kind of important to how any one game plays out and that is key part of the Muskets & Tomahawks system. They key point with firepower is breechloaders and repeaters fire every action instead of muskets that have to fire and reload being 2-actions.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »
A very inspiring game and pictures!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
Excellent photos.
Terrain and figures are outstanding.
Bad luck for the Germans.
Maybe next time, shoe will be on the other foot.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 04:31:34 PM »
Absolutely beautiful terrain and figures. Thank you for sharing!

Out of curiosity, did the Masai ever fight against any European led forces in actual life? They are a tribe I don't know much about beyond the name.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 05:00:02 PM »
Very good layout and a good read  :)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »
Beautiful set up,I'm toying with modifying muskets n tomahawks for my frontier planet,I'm thinking the firearms will be limited to single action due to planet rules,and settlers/prospectors having to fight a native species armed with blade an spear.
It should work  o_o

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 06:35:13 PM »
A fine, fine spread.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 08:09:57 PM »
A beautiful table and what looks to have been an exciting game. :D

I wish I could have played!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 08:51:01 PM »
Thanks chaps,

Comments appreciated - it was a good game even though the Masai ran riot...plenty more marines and askaris where they come from  :D

"did the Masai ever fight against any European led forces in actual life”

Off course they fought the Carl Peters Emin Pasha expedition and they clashed with many an Arab Slaver force, though alot of their actions apparently go unrecorded because no one survives to tell the tale! As a rule they did avoid white man confrontation if it suited them…better to extract a ‘fee’ and let them on their way.

The German naturalist Gustav Fischer, who at the time Thomson was winning over the Masai with baubles and trickery, chose the typical German not so softly approach to colonisation and exploration. His expedition was cut short however. Hence the invader in my actions tends to be the Germans but Arab and Brits are suitable candidates as well. The Austrian Count Teleki also ventured into Masailand in 1887/88 so he's definitely a starter. He clashed with the Kikuyu so there was direct confrontation there. As an example his expedition had;

"200 rifled muzzle-loaders, eighty breechloading Werndl carbines, twelve Colt's repeating rifles, each one with bayonet and cartridge-pouch, as well as a number of revolvers. Somali bodyguard and the servants had magazine rifles, the former revolvers as well ; the guides, Askari, and the sturdier of the porters, Werndl carbines, the rest muzzle-loading guns".

..plenty of opportunity to get into trouble there!

The British Royal Geographical Society organised an expedition to open up a path through Masailand. They vacillated who would lead such a dangerous mission and asked Stanley, who requested a full army, which was beyond the Society's finances. The 25-year old Thomson offered himself up with only a nominal armed contingent…very much in the naturalist/explorer model of non violence…showering them with gifts and displaying tricks to win them over instead of by force....clever chap that.

So that Stanley expedition would certainly make for an interesting ‘what if’ if he were not involved with the Emin Pasha expedition but something quite different…food for thought.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 03:07:30 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Online fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 09:01:38 PM »
Can't get your link to load
But would love to know more about Rifles & Spears
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »
Impressive paintjobs and a great game report, thanks for posting!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 01:43:24 AM »
Wanderer, thanks so much for the detailed answer. I may need to read up on this chapter of colonial history. It's only a few seconds, but I've always loved the scene of the moran trotting across the desert in Out of Africa. Something it has always stuck with me...

Keep up the fine work!