Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:17:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How do I copy a part to customise another figure?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Gundamentalist 5.56

• Scientist
    • http://www.theblackseal.org
How do I copy a part to customise another figure?
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:21:23 AM »
I play AT-43. I have some Therian assault medusas. The kick ass versions have nucleus guns (see the highlight on the left hand figure).

The unit formation allows me to have three of these. I have enough figures for the max size unit but the third nucleus gunner would be a proxy, and I don't want to buy another pack of 4 just to get the correct armed figure.

So how do I easily copy the circled weapon on the left to modify the miniature on the right? Somebody suggested epoxy putty pressing - but how exactly do I go about that? Would appreciate some advice, pointers or even instructions.

Cheers.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: How do I copy a part to customise another figure?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 07:37:15 AM »
To me press moulding is tantamount to re-casting and therefore a big piracy no no. Your circumstances for needing the part are understandable though.

The mechanics of press moulding make it possible to do one part moulds but not two part ones where you want a 3d shape like this. It is most commonly used to lift surface detail like insignia on space marine shoulder pads.

You could make a two part mould of that weapon but it would be time consuming and costly done right, to the point it would probably be easier to buy another set and if you then sold the spares also cheaper.

I think you should scratch build one. Even broke down to a simple pair of discs and a length of rod to replicate the muzzle you would have a basic interpretation that would give the impression of the other weapon and it does not look too complicated to match more accurately. Give it a go, you may need various attempts but you will be a lot prouder of the end result than if you ripped off someone elses work.

Hopefully you realise I am not trying to preach but encourage.      Svennn
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »
I agree with Svennn on the whole press-moulding thing.

Scratch build it -you might even find that you enjoy the end result more, because you made it.  Anyone who says that it "isn't official/standard as per the rules...blah blah blah..." probably isn't worth playing a game with anyway, as they clearly take things FAR too seriously.

:)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:41:54 AM »
Not a fan of press moulding either, but it's an easy process. Doubt it's suitable here though. Essentially, you mix up a blob of green stuff (or other sculpting putty) and press it over the detail you wish to copy, then peal it away carefully. Once dry, you then press more putty into the resulting "mold" and pull it out again and let dry. Will work for small surface detail items but not really guns etc.

Another vote for scratchbuilding.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:13:54 AM »
Have you tried getting a single figure off eBay? That would be my first thought.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »
Well, if you want to make a two-part press mould that you can only use once, and that won't work for whole figures, as it's too complicated to handle, here's how you could do it.

- you need two blocks of plasticine (or one block cut in two, depending on the size),
- make sure they're not too soft (otherwise, put them in the freezer to get just a bit harder).
- make sure the surface of both blocks is perfectly flat.
- press the item that you want to copy into one block (easiest is to follow the original mouldline)
- add some locators (beads are good for that) that you also press in the block (when you have made both halves of the pressmould,these will  make sure it's aligned properly).
- press the second block onto the first
- gently remove the second block again
- gently remove the item you want to copy, but leave the locators in place
- put the two mouldhalves in the freezer until they are rockhard
- mix some putty (greenstuff or other)
- give it roughly the shape and size of the final item and put it in one mouldhalf
- add the second half of the mould and press hard
- do NOT separate the mouldparts but rather leave it to rest for a day or so until your putty has cured.
- peel off the (now softened again) mouldparts and remove your copy
- clean the mouldlines and excess putty

Only do this for your own use and don't go selling copies on ebay (besides, the process  is too time consuming for that since you have to start over from the beginning each time). ;)

Offline Gundamentalist 5.56

• Scientist
    • http://www.theblackseal.org
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:22:28 PM »
Thanks Whiteknight, that's exactly what I was looking for. Plasticine was the missing ingredient.

In my experience with Miliput, miliput loves sticking to miliput so I was wondering how that would work out.

JollyBob: getting anything AT-43 off evilBay that's not the same as RRP or more (after you add the P&P) is very difficult. I've never seen single figures other than the heroes.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »
TO get around the miliupt problem, either use a different medium for the "cast" or use vaseline as a release agent.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:37:23 PM »
There's an example with pictures on the Hirst Arts website, too.