Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:24:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689737
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: City State of the Invincble Overlord  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
City State of the Invincble Overlord
« on: March 26, 2016, 08:43:46 PM »
Idly thinking of making a CSIO inspired build based on the Perry agincourt French. Pike, pole arm, crossbows and maybe some sword and buckler types. A few with OTT Italian soft hats for the Constables. A few French knights for a mounted contingent.

I was wondering though if anyone has an idea for an appropriate banner?

A Pegasus seems one option based on the JG logo. The Greyjoy kraken seems another given there was a honking great sea monster in the Roglaroon estuary.

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
Re: City State of the Invincble Overlord
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »
 o_o Mind blown. I have not thought about CSotIO in over three decades! You just just teleported me to my early teens with this post.  o_o
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Samnite308

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »
My first thought was the Pegasus based on the JG logo - as you mentioned.  I wish I knew what I did with my copy of the City-state . . .

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »
What's City State of the Invincible Overlord? Sounds interesting, just from the name.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:32:58 PM »
One of the books had a ship with a (sail or flag?) two-headed dragon design?

Might look heraldic enough - similar in style to the two headed eagle that is fairly common on flags
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 05:09:33 AM »
What's City State of the Invincible Overlord? Sounds interesting, just from the name.

It was one of the earliest campaign supplements for D&D in the mid-70's. Way back in the mists of time...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DSs2bX13hVc/SckpI_oIeLI/AAAAAAAAA2g/mcKs9HDl41w/s400/CSIO.jpg

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 09:28:31 AM »
It was a ground-breaking product, first of its kind when I snapped it up in '76 at GenCon. First thing I did was go out and have the maps plastic-coated, and then we played that city to death. Anything from heists, to investigations, to dungeon crawls where much of the "dungeon" was back alleys and crumbling tenements. We even borrowed counters from White Bear, Red Moon (Greg Stafford's ground-breaking Runequest precursor) to play out seiges and mass battles in the streets.

FWIW, it's still available in pdf form at Drive-though RPG.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »
 City State of the Invincible Overlord and White Bear, Red Moon in one thread. Wow! this really transports me back to my teens in the 70s!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »
Never heard of it before,had quick google, sounds fun though.whats in your scenario Harry,is it just humans? And what are they looking for treasure hoards? Payment for monsters that are  slain?

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
It's nostalgia really. The CSIO was the stomping ground for a lot of our D&D games in school. We used the SPI gondor and sauron counters for a huge siege game too.

I'm looking at Dragon Rampant armies. I've roughed up a "Riding of the Bannered Mare" army to use my GW Rohan figures in a not-Rohan/Skyrim crossover and am thinking up an army based around adventurers, a wizard, some thieves and a walking statue for a Waterdeep army. Never played forgotten realms, but I liked the lords of Waterdeep game.

I have huge nostalgia for the CSIO and remember notes about its army , which iiirc seemed pretty much medeival with added wizards. So the agincourt French seem a natural start.

They can take on pretty much the wilderlands can throw at them.......

But, yes, in terms of skirmish, the CSIO gives you a lot to play with. At the time, it didn't register just what an evil place it is, we just treated it as a city. All sorts of internal factions -evil cultists, Pirates, thieves guild, assassins guild, Constables....and outside Orcs of the Purple Claw, Rangers, more pirates. I'd say it's a good pitch for the Otherworld skirmish rules. 

Glad my idle query has triggered some happy memories. I'm going to:
1 see if I can use a JG logo
2 look at fantasy banners for a double eagle
3 use the Greyjoy kraken (which has the beauty of simplicity)

Cheers!

Harry

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »
Just reading that last post ,remind me of krondor in Raymond feists novels,densely populated, expansive sewers ,basements you had wreckers guild,thieves with their mockers the strong men who enforced its laws,and assassins ,different worshipping cults and the nighthawk cult which reminded me of dark elf assassins.
I thought about trying to game it once,decided it was to much hard work, lol

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »
Depends how much detail you want.

Using many of the warband level games you only need 6-10 per side for say 6 factions.

The CSIO includes a daily events table which can give a kind of background to a game or even a trigger.

But, yes, if you want to play a full on campaign going into the detail of life and violence in a fantasy city, you have a bit of a job on.

I don't know what the various versions of rpg lankmhar included though?

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 11:00:12 PM »
Wow.  That takes me back some.  Three of us regularly played D&D in that world back in the late 70's.