Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:20:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689244
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 526
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How many Deamons in a Bottle can you have?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
How many Deamons in a Bottle can you have?
« on: March 25, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
How many Deamons in a Bottle can I have per Warband, and how many can I use in a game?

I currently have a Wytch with the spell "Brew Potion". This allows me to create (out of game) any potion except Elixir of Life.
So (theoretically) my Wytch and Apprentice could cast these out of game and give them to 2 of my 8 soldiers. Once the game starts I can have both these soldiers smash the bottles creating 2 Deamons to add to my war band, taking it from 10 to 12. Is this correct?

And what if I stored up these potions so that everyone in my war band had one. Could everybody smash a bottle, create a Deamon, and give me 10 Deamons to fight alongside my Wytch, Apprentice and 8 soldiers?

It doesn't say I can't, but it seems there should be some sort of limit on me creating an army of Deamons.

C J   = /
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
Re: How many Deamons in a Bottle can you have?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »
I'm sure Joe answered this in the FAQ thread (though it might have been elsewhere) and iirc the answer was 1 per warband member that can use it (so no warhounds with one).
Though that would be the magic item slot filled for most soldiers.

[Edit] Found the post: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=80477.msg1041197#msg1041197
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:09:26 PM by Darkson71 »
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 09:20:41 PM »
Got it:

In theory, you could have as many demon's in a bottle as you have item slots in your warband. Essentially, they do not count towards any limits on how many demons anyone can have bound.

This doesn't however tell how many I can use in a game though. I think I'm gonna limit it at 2, one for my Wytch and one for my Apprentice. I'll make up some fluff like although the Wizard gives the bottle to a Warband member, the Wizard still has to keep an eye on/control the Deamon some how.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 09:26:03 PM »
This doesn't however tell how many I can use in a game though.

I think this line covers that:
"Essentially, they do not count towards any limits on how many demons anyone can have bound."

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
House rules

Depends on the size of the bottle, demons in question and power of the magick (note antiquated spelling) user, so roll on the following table, 1d10, note using these rules could be life changing, well for your wizard and warband that is:

1. 1 demon

2. 2 demons

3. 3 Demons - what marvellous triumvirate of power is this? Things seem to be going well so far… If the player does not have 3 suitable miniatures (assume two otherwise why are you using these house rules?) then one wonders off - never to be seen again and has no part in the game whatsoever, no he/it will not count as some sort of points as a routed unit for your opponent.

4. Bugger… empty bottle - Demon seems to have either escaped or was not entrapped properly in the first place…

5. The Demon has been miserable in that bottle and misses his Demonic host of friends so in a dramatic puff of smoke he vanishes returning to some Devilish realm he/it calls home.

6. All Hell breaks out… You did roll a six after all. The Demon will immediately attack the wizard/caster/person who had the bottle.

7. A difference of opinion… The Demon has realised that the wizard/caster/person who had the bottle has vastly different religious, moral outlook from his/its own and thus joins the opposition and is then under the opponents control.

8. Stuck… Demon is unable to get out this turn. The wizard/caster/person who had the bottle will need to try again, that is assuming they have the time and or ability/energy to do so, given perhaps factors like number of spells they have in general. If 8 is rolled for the second attempt then said Demon is eternally trapped in the bottle.

9. 1 Demon yes but what a magnificent and malevolent being… improve said Demon to have better stats, think bigger meaner etc. with improved abilities. If using these house rules then you will need the stats tweaked for this possibility before play or create another table on which to roll to get some random improvements. You did roll a nine after all think numerology and Kabbalistic traditions etc.

10.  A succubus in rapture – ooops wrong bottle. Meant for the bedroom not the battlefield – use your imagination, may require roleplaying skills here. Alternatively if you have some sort of moralistic problem with this (odd since you seemingly do not mind summoning Demons) then use this instead – the Demon is so annoyed at having been placed in the bottle that he puts the wizard/caster/person who had the bottle, into the bottle instead and assumes command of the warband – you have a new commander – how devilish.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:07:48 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 05:15:14 PM »
Well, the demons are only for that game. Is it better to have the usual 10 figures in 4 games and 10 extra ones (for a total of 20!) in the fifth, or have 10+2 figures to control in all 5? Don't think it has to be house ruled to be limited, their one-use-only nature is limiting enough by itself.

My plan was to probably use 1 demon every game, to have a slight numerical advantage (and compensate for the lost soldier who picked up extra treasure from reveal secret). Save up others, use when needed. Of course, my spellcasters proved absolutely incapable of brewing potions (even after purchasing a fancy shiny big cauldron), so the only bottle used so far was one found in some loot...
~Ad finem temporum~