Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:16:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691129
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA: Aetius & Arthur – new rules for the Late Roman period  (Read 25737 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: SAGA: Invasions – new rules for the Late Roman period
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »
Anybody point me to some Picts? I have seen the Foundry figures, not a fan. I quite like the Tanatus stuff but probably not enough to make a Saga warband. What are my options?

Pendraken have made some recently.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline LeadLust

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2016, 05:08:43 AM »
Anybody point me to some Picts? I have seen the Foundry figures, not a fan. I quite like the Tanatus stuff but probably not enough to make a Saga warband. What are my options?

Black Tree Design's Picts are well sculpted (website pictures do not do them justice) and inexpensive when purchased during one of their 25-40% off sales.  They mix fairly well with both Gripping Beast and Newline Designs.  Crusader Miniatures Mounted Scots Warriors are also useful for light cavalry.

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant΄s Diary
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 11:01:41 AM »
I like SAGA, I will buy the New Book for sure. This will be the first Time I will have enough painted miniatures allowing me to Field several forces for the period. I think the Factions covered in the book are OK, I always Adapted the boards to my Needs And will do it with the new ones too. Moiterei is right, the Nibelungen SAGA would be great to Play.
Plus all the eye candy that I really enjoyed with C&C... :)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »

Gripping Beast has some nice Picts but I think the majority aren't Patten sculpts.
http://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/The_Picts--category--78.html
Curteys is starting on a new range op Picts. I'll be checking them out a Salute in two weeks.
http://curteysminiatures.co.uk/product-category/arthurian/picts/pict-supplement-packs/

Newline design has a good range of Picts. Simple but very well cast figures.
http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=122_123_126

Black Tree Designs has an often overlooked but really great line of Picts.
http://eoeorbisuk.com/collections/ancient/ancient-range_picts

The Tanatos Picts are indeed very nice but alas don't fit in with any of the above ranges which are at least  compatible with each other.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline JW. Akers

• Student
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 12:04:33 PM »
Gripping Beast? Didn't they have Picts in their original (Patten-sculpted) ranges?

Yep. They were coded as "Cel" for Celts. I have quite a few of them due to my Britannocentrism. ;). Some of them have reappeared in GBs' Norse Gael range.

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
Westwind Productions have a few packs too and some very useful separate heads.

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=69_147

The Foundry Picts fit in with the 'old' Gripping Beast figures but both are a little 'dainty' compared to the other ranges. 

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:25 AM »
:) Thanks for the link GC, I've just ordered King Arthur!  :)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »
Since when are Goths and Huns, or Romans for that matter, Anglo-centric? They could've just done an Arthurian supplement and then the complaint would probably be "why no Huns and Goths?"  ;)

Looks like this'll be the typical anglo-centric world view again. Nothing wrong with catering for the bigger audience but as the Doc already pointed out it's a rather odd mix. Would have preferred to have Romans, Vandals, Goths, Huns, Franks and maybe even Sassanids for a main book. One could have dealt with the island in a supplement well enough. That said I'll still have a look and if it's just to see if one can turn those island dweller batteboards into proper mainland european germanic tribes  ;)

Offline RAD

• Librarian
  • "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count"The Redeemer
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 07:44:16 AM »
I'd like some day to see a set of rules with merovingian franks and proper figures to go with it.

Clovis is contemporary to the Arthurian era and franks fought post roman britons, amongst many others, on the continent in Britanny.

They are scarcely covered in rules and figures are few, which i regret since they were distinctively looking and  and of major importance at that time...

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 03:31:29 PM »
Merovingian Franks are covered by regular Saga; they are one of the options for the Frank faction
(You can also field Carolignian or Capetian Franks).

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 11:55:07 PM »
I'd like some day to see a set of rules with merovingian franks and proper figures to go with it.

Clovis is contemporary to the Arthurian era and franks fought post roman britons, amongst many others, on the continent in Britanny.

They are scarcely covered in rules and figures are few, which i regret since they were distinctively looking and  and of major importance at that time...

Absolutely agree! Funny thing is Clovis fought first together with, later against  'the Roman governor' , later 'Roman King' Syagrius in the Province Belgica II years after the Western Roman ended in 476 AD.

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 04:01:26 AM »
Any word if the gothic/germanic plastics will be previewed at salute?

Offline Legiox217

• Schoolboy
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2016, 03:51:16 PM »
Can't wait for this either! Been in a late Roman mood. The only choice I have to make is to order Footsore Minis or wait and see if Gripping Beast does all new sculpts for these 6 new factions (and then see which I prefer).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:00:09 PM by Legiox217 »

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2016, 09:24:26 AM »
Just became aware of this, very exciting news!! Not least because it means lots of new figures to be released, I'm especially looking forward to the Goths in both plastic and metal!

Offline nikephorous

• Assistant
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2016, 12:52:48 AM »
For me this has come far too late. I got into SAGA in the pre-order stage on the promise that Arthurian and Late Roman would be hard on the heels of the Viking Age.
Now here we are so many years later and they are telling us we are still a year off.
Horse,bolted, stable.... well you get the idea.
I am sure that ST made many people happy when they went for the Crusades. I was not one of them.
For me the introduction of massive imbalance in the game, silly ideas to placate people who are clearly mistaking Hollywood for historical sources and the terrible gamesmanship that is now too common in the game had me sell my SAGA collection long ago.
A good idea that went horribly wrong.
Who decided a 6 was good and a 1 was bad anyway?