Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First posting: Northern Crusades  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: First posting: Northern Crusades
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 10:41:14 PM »
I'd be very interested in seeing your Lion Rampant army lists if you wouldn't mind sharing?

Second that, and I'd like to hear more about how the smaller units handle the rules.

I'm mostly concerned about staying power; I can see it balance out, as both sides use the smaller numbers, but aren't the units wiped out quite easily? Not that that is a problem if you like fast and brutal games.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
Beautiful minies  :-*

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 08:12:31 AM »
Thanks chaps!  :)

My army lists are based (I admit) on my own perception of small raiding forces in the latter part of the early period of Teutonic involvement.  By this I mean that both sides have learned some lessons of forest warfare against each other, and so the Teutonic force has half the MAA already dismounted, and has Tribal Allies (in reality, auxilliaries).  I have placed an Order knight figures with the latter, just to help to keep them to 'the plan'!  Also, for both forces I actually put a name on the base of the commander of each unit, as for our small gaming group this also helps to get a cinematic / drama aspect to each game.

For the Prussians, I have not gone with the 'wild charge' type of infantry, as again my perception is that whilst they may have started off employing that tactic, they would have quickly learned the benefits of lying in ambush for the Order (almost Teutoberger Wald style, in my own mind) and the wild charge rule just does not fit comfortably with that picture.  I also gave the Prussians one unit of better cavalry.  Of course feel free to differ!

I limited the amount of Bidowers, as, in our experience, they can dominate a game with lots of cover if one is not careful.

What we have ended up with is two forces, each with its own very distinct 'flavour', and with games being able to include a lot of woods / rough terrain without one side having all the advantages.

In terms of the reduced figures per unit, to be honest we really have not noticed that games go quicker, although I fully accept that this should be the case.  Perhaps it is down to our poor morale throws and the way that units with 3-4 casualties may struggle to recover from being battered?  ;). The choice to go with smaller sized units was more visual for me, as I felt that the larger groups started to stretch beyond the skirmish and into the 'small unit' look: entirely personal on my part and nothing more!  I love the LR engine and am progressing onto DR soon.

So, I hope my background explanation has helped, and my lists are:

The Teutonic list is:

Mounted Knights (disciplined MAA)
Foot Knights (MAA - commanders unit)
Mounted Crossbowmen
Foot Spearmen (Sjt's)
Foot Crossbowmen
Tribal Allies (Yeomen, mixed weapons)

The Prussian force consists of:

Veteran Tribal Cavalry (Mtd Sjt's)
Foot Command (MAA - commanders unit)
Skirmish Cavalry (Yeomen with javelins only)
Veteran Tribesmen (expert Sjt's)
Tribal Archers (expert)
Tribal Infantry (Yeomen)
Skirmishers (bow armed Bidowers)