Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone buy from Thunderbolt Mountain?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
Anyone buy from Thunderbolt Mountain?
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:14:12 PM »
As the title says.  I was thinking of getting some elves from here.  I like how they look fey like.  Does anyone have pictures of elves next to knights and orcs?  I don't mind if they are taller or smaller as they are not human. 
Thanks in advance,

Justin

Offline Old Coast

• Librarian
    • plastic legions
Re: Anyone buy from Thunderbolt Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:54:30 AM »
yes, easy transactions no problems, I picked the human infantry with the shields...unfortunately they run kind of small compared to the 28-32mm stuff i was trying to mix them with. so I sold them...great models thou but if you are concerned about scale I'd say true 25's no bigger..so assume they'll be smaller...
Check out my adventures in lead and plastic http://plasticlegions.blogspot.com

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 02:38:27 AM »
As the title says.  I was thinking of getting some elves from here.  I like how they look fey like.  Does anyone have pictures of elves next to knights and orcs?  I don't mind if they are taller or smaller as they are not human. 
Thanks in advance,

Justin

Not lots, but I bought a couple of items a) because I'm a big Tom Meier fan and b) considered using some of them for a little diversity in my LotR armies. I have one elf lord and one goblin chieftain. I'll try to dig them out, and post a pic here.  My recollection is they are a) a bit bigger than GW LotR and bit smaller than GW Warhammer elves, orcs, etc.
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:45:48 AM »
I bought a few Thunderbolt Mountain figures a few years ago, just to see what they were like and possibly to use in a fantasy Dark Age game.
My elves are in the last photo in this thread:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=88669.0

Nice figures to paint, and although they are realistic in proportions and therefore thinner than most 28mm figures, this is not a problem as elves should be a little more svelte than humans.  The orc is also a nice sculp.  I have a wolf that isn't in the picture - this is quite large and menacing.

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:26:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
@Ethelred the Almost Ready, thanks for the pic.  Don't know how I missed that thread.  Looks like they fit well with Black Tree. 

Justin

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:57:15 PM »
Tom Meier is one of the most skilled miniature sculptors about. Few can match him in detail. He is also very meticulous about scale and has written quite long rants about the inconsistency in the miniature market, sculptors stick to (you have heard it before) size rather than true scale. It seems to annoy him. Personally I don't think true scale is something to necessarily strive towards. Representation, expression and paintability are key words to me. I still praise his miniatures though and have plenty of his GoT and fantasy elves.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:58:54 PM by Hammers »

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:57:41 PM »
@Hammers, I agree that paintability and representation are what I look in figures.  I feel that true scale has its merits.  He does make some beautify figures, I just wished they fitted more with the figures I already have.  The humans wouldn't work for me, but the orcs and elves I think would.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
@Hammers, I agree that paintability and representation are what I look in figures.  I feel that true scale has its merits.  He does make some beautify figures, I just wished they fitted more with the figures I already have.  The humans wouldn't work for me, but the orcs and elves I think would.

I have several elves. Vert Art Noveau. Quite, quite nice.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 02:08:07 AM »
We have bought from the Thunderbolt site several times, although not recently. Always had excellent service, and love his sculptss.

-Michael