Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:35:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 574
Total: 581

Recent

Author Topic: Northern Crusades AAR - Lion Rampant  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
Northern Crusades AAR - Lion Rampant
« on: April 01, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
Last night some good chums and I had a game of Lion Rampant set in the period of the Northern Crusades.  We used the Bloodbath scenario, representing two small raiding forces clashing head on in the area of an abandoned Teutonic Order watchtower outpost.  I should add that we use 8 and 4 figure units rather than 12 and 6 figure ones.

We had two players per side (I was on the Prussian tribes side) and we use the card activation system to determine which player goes/when, that Dalauppror mentioned on this site (thank you for the idea!).  In general we use the rules as published, but we have introduced two amendments: we roll one average dice for each commander at the start of the game and the score represents the amount of re-rolls a commander can give to units within 12 inches (maximum of 1 re-roll per turn); we did this to enhance the role of commanders, and the second amendment is to the way armour rating works.  We have introduced a local rule whereby if a 4 is needed for a kill (the target unit has an armour rating of 4) but, for example, only one hit is inflicted, we then throw a pair of % dice and - in this example - a 25% or less would result in a kill.  This makes for a bloodier and quicker game, makes the toughest units vulnerable to the vagaries of a chance hit, and - we have found - adds an extra fun bit of cinematic drama to an already great game system.

So, to the battle.  The Teutonic force consisted of:

Mounted Knights (disciplined MAA)
Foot Knights (MAA - commanders unit)
Mounted Crossbowmen
Foot Spearmen (Sjt's)
Foot Crossbowmen
Tribal Allies (Yeomen, mixed weapons)

The Prussian force consisted of:

Veteran Tribal Cavalry (Mtd Sjt's)
Foot Command (MAA - commanders unit)
Skirmish Cavalry (Yeomen with javelins only)
Veteran Tribesmen (expert Sjt's)
Tribal Archers (expert)
Tribal Infantry (Yeomen)
Skirmishers (bow armed Bidowers)

The pictures show the action, starting with an overall view of the battlefield; the Teutonic force came in from the left, advanced quickly, and perfectly positioned their foot crossbowmen to make use of the stone wall enclosure; from that position they were a threat that dominated the centre of the battle area.  Meanwhile the Prussian skirmish cavalry mistimed their javelin throwing and got caught in some soft snow and were run down by the Teutonic spear unit, resulting in them almost being wiped out (they tried to evade, but failed - ouch!).  

Over on the the other flank the mounted crossbowmen advanced nervously, being aware that the Prussian bow armed skirmisher, and archer units were lurking in wait for them.  Eventually the crossbowmen plucked up the courage to skirmish forward, but came off worse in the exchange of arrows, and they were then pursued, caught and destroyed by the Prussian veteran cavalry.  At this point the battle lines were starting to cartwheel, with the Prussian left withdrawing into cover to avoid the bolts of the crossbow infantry, and the Teutonic left taking cover from the missile armed tribesmen.  

All credit to the Teutonic player who commanded their mounted knights as he aggressively pushed them forward until they could charge the Prussian command unit.  That battle see-sawed over multiple rounds of combat, with both sides withdrawing at times to draw their breath before charging into contact again.  Eventually the mounted knights fell back too close to the Tribal infantry lurking in one of the woods, and were charged by them; whilst the knights countercharged and won, this encounter reduced their numbers to critical levels.  In the end, the Prussian foot command unit slew the last mounted knight and the game was called.  

It was a tough but really entertaining game, with the Teutonic Order dominating the first half, but the Prussians coming through at the end.  We all agreed that the Teutonic commander would have some explaining to do when he returned to base, as his unit spent a large part of the battle hiding next to a hut!  All in all a great evenings gaming.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:53:34 PM by Widows Son »

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Northern Crusades AAR - Lion Rampant
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 09:55:52 PM »
That looks like a great game, I'm just looking into doing the Northern Crusades but in 15mm. Very inspirational.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »
Very tempting/inspirational!

Is the 'table' a white cloth of some sort, or is it flocked/sanded and painted white?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Widows Son

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments chaps!  :)

Mr J: I wish you the best of luck with your project and would love to see some pictures as it progresses.

Argonor: It is indeed a cloth type material, with fine sand embedded on it.  It must be about ten years old now and it has withstood the test of time very well.  I bought it from a chap that made them in Suffolk, England, but unfortunately I do not have his details any more (it was a real 'cottage industry' and I recall having to find his house down small country lanes).  I am sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »
Certainly does the job, thanks.