Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:37:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lady Constance Noring and the Great Ape  (Read 3408 times)

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
Lady Constance Noring and the Great Ape
« on: April 02, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »
Miniatures night at the club last week saw another game of Pulp Alley.

This one was based on a scenario I found that was originally written for Rattrap productions Broadsword Adventures (a Conanesque supplement for their excellent .45 adventures series) ... and a certain box office legend.

Lady C (ever the victim) has been seized by the Mighty Kong.  The natives of Skull Island have captured her from some pesky Hollywood types that have have come to exploit their undiscovered Jungle island and offered her up to Kong as a tasty snack.

Kong, rather than having breakfast on the run has taken Constance back for a leisurely lunch and (plot spoiler alert) has instead fallen head over heels in cross species love (it'll never work).

Hollywood Hires Muscle! scream the headlines of the Skull Island Gazette and 2 opposing leagues set off to rescue the scantily clad Lady Constance.

The LAW (League of American Wordsmiths) with such luminaries as Captain Marcus Twain, Scotty Fitzgerald, Professor Steinbeck, (Miss) Jackie Kerouac and Harper Lee (played by Raquel Welch in a fur bikini no less) take on the League of Extraordinary Archaeologists led by a stiff upper lipped Lord Elpus and his rag tag band of assistants.

There are 6 clues dotted around the island interior and only 2 have clues to the whereabouts of the missing Macguffin.

The intrepid Hollywood Film Crew (no, not another League) followed along and took these action pictures as the rescue unfolds.

Lord Elpus and Lou Pole look on as the League of American Wordsmiths seek out Lady Constance in the valley below.  Lou sensibly takes cover behind a big rock and Elpus sensibly hides behind Lou.

Scotty Fitzgerald and Prof Steinbeck take cover while their local guide goes for a plot point - needless to say he soon became a target for Lou Pole's marksman ability

Jackie Kerouac about to find Lady Constance at the last plot point after 2 perils had seen her slipping on the sodden jungle slopes (high heeled pumps may look good missy, but are not sensible footwear for a hazardous environment)

Hello Constance, my name is Jackie Kerouac. Time to get you On the Road.   lol

Kong charges out of the jungle after Constance is found  ... and a 3 point peril played on him sees him slip on a casually tossed aside banana skin and twist an ankle.  Down to d8 health already!  Constance looks on quizically.  Actually Kong's not so bad and certainly more handsome than some of the apes she has dated back in Hollywood.

Hulk Smash! (sorry, wrong game)

Off camera a hail of bullets from all Leagues working in unison have taken down Kong.  In this episode it wasn't beauty that killed the beast it was the .45 caliber ammunition from the smoking muzzles of a dozen guns (not quite 12, but it looks good in print and you get the idea).

After the brief alliance to battle the beast, the Leagues turn on each other again and race to collect Constance and get her safely off the board.

Lord Elpus and Captain Twain square up after Prof. Steinbeck has been knocked out. "Now look here you Colonial Johnny, your double barrelled shotgun doesn't scare me. Take your hands off the tottie or I'll give you a damned good thrashing with my walking stick!"

Captain Twain backs away from Lord Elpus' gang while shielding Lady Constance, to win the game

Fun game - Frank and I both enjoyed it a lot
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:17:08 AM by pauld »
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Re: Lady Constance Noring and the Great Ape
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:21:50 PM »
Beautifully done! :-* :-* :-*

Table,figures and plot points all well thought out. 8)

Love the Kong! Is he a Schliech? (Excuse the spelling!) Or is it a metal mini?

He is Lovely!

???

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:17:36 PM »
A great looking game!

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 08:03:40 PM »
A great looking game and great report, thanks for posting.

Offline pauld

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 09:08:54 PM »
Is he a Schliech?

I can't remember, maybe Papo?

He's been gingered up a bit so may not look quite like the original

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 10:37:06 PM »
I can't remember, maybe Papo?

He's been gingered up a bit so may not look quite like the original

Looking online. They look the same mini :)

Thanks! I was thinking if these would be a good alternative for our Giant friend! Or Joe Young!

:D

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 10:47:12 PM »
Looks great :)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 03:47:16 AM »
Fantastic!

THANKS for playing and sharing Pulp Alley!

And don't forget to claim your Phantom Agent award ---

Offline pauld

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
Thanks

I so enjoy reading all the LA forums - there is always so much to see, find, learn from and be jealous of  :P but the Pulp forum seems to generate so many great AARs.  I suppose because, by it's very nature, the Pulp genre is just so cinematic

Pulp Alley has always been a favourite of mine since I first played it - seemingly simple rules but with great depth.  Most importantly they are FUN with a capital giggle.  Everyone I have ever played with gets into character at some stage.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:59:21 PM by pauld »

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »
Great report! Need to see if I can find these rules when I go to Salute-looks like a lot of fun :)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 01:37:37 AM »
...   Need to see if I can find these rules when I go to Salute-looks like a lot of fun :)

Be sure to check out the Sally 4th table at Salute. I know Chris Abbey will be running some Pulp Alley demo games and should have Pulp Alley rules and cards on hand as well.  ;)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »
Great stuff, pauld! Looks like a really good game.

Offline Arthur Chance

• Schoolboy
  • "Do be do be do" - Sinatra
    • The BAD Gamers
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 11:00:56 AM »
Hi

I was the LAW player, and this is my first post to LAF.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in that the game was great fun to play, the Pulp Alley rules are easy to pick up, and they also spark your imagination. Now looking at my myriad collection of figures from Ancients to Fantasy to Sci-Fi and thinking of scenarios and plots.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 05:29:40 PM »
Hi

I was the LAW player, and this is my first post to LAF.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in that the game was great fun to play, the Pulp Alley rules are easy to pick up, and they also spark your imagination. Now looking at my myriad collection of figures from Ancients to Fantasy to Sci-Fi and thinking of scenarios and plots.

Great! So glad you had fun playing Pulp Alley. THANKS for the encouraging comments.  :D