Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:56:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Irish wars/TYW/ECW Question  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Irish wars/TYW/ECW Question
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
I'm currently collecting an Irish force for TYW/ECW but have become fascinated by the conflicts of the wars of religion especially towards the end of the 1500's/start of the TYW and was wondering would an Irish force be useable in the beginning of the TYW as equipment/uniform was whim and from what I can tell so far Ireland was somewhat behind other countries in terms of military innovation.

One range i've had by eyes on is this (http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/pike-and-shot/elizabethan) would any of them be suitable for Irish or are they too 'English'?

It says on the page Kev Dallimore uses them for Irish wars but it doesn't specify if they are used for just English or both sides?

I ask about foundry as I quite like the foundry ECW/TYW and like consistency and re-usability.

Suggestions appreciated.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: Irish wars/TYW/ECW Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:38:44 AM »
I'm especially interested in how Irish officers/leaders armament/clothing/Armour, did they all dress in a traditional style like the poorer troops or did some dress in the English style?

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:35:51 AM »
I'm afraid that I can't answer any of your questions but I am familiar with the Foundry Elizabethan range (formerly called the Wars of Religion range) and I agree that it's marvellous. A word of warning, however. It is compatible with the Foundry ECW range. The figures are a bit shorter than the Foundry ECW range but not significantly so. Both ranges were, however, sculpted as 25mm ranges so they are not really compatible with more modern bigger figures such as the Foundry Seadogs, which are also marvellous figures in my view.   

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »
Hoka Hey has quite a selection of different Irish minis from the last 1500's. The ones listed under the Border Reivers collection look the nicest, though I've only Border Reivers from there.

http://www.hokaheywargaming.co.uk/Border%20Reivers.html

http://www.hokaheywargaming.co.uk/ELIZIRISH.html

I think Foundry's elizabethans are generally too well equipped.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 05:48:24 PM »
For irish wars you would be better using the claymore castins highlanders for gallow glass bonnachts and kerns, for Tyrronnes pike and shot they were dressed more in trews and the leine.

The old foundry range are tiny compared to todays figures.

None would really be good for ecw or tyw. Check out however tag french and enlish for tudor period and the warlord figures.

The hokahey irish pike and shot give you a good idea of the tudor period gear