Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690738
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Second Playtest of Wasteland Chronicles - Fall of Two Angels  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
Second Playtest of Wasteland Chronicles - Fall of Two Angels
« on: December 20, 2008, 01:21:04 PM »
So, once again I and my companions found the time to give Wasteland Chronicles another whirl, and what a whirl it turned out to be.

This time, I had finished the "Archetype Generation" rules, which we used to create a couple of heroes - one each, who we rolled their stats for. This worked out okay-ish, but some tinkering is still required for it to work.

We found that shooting wasn't worth much, and that a certain rule - allowing a player to group up any of his units free of charge was a bit overpowering in the end. But other than that, everybody still had a good time - good and likeminded players definately help in that respect :)

And now, unto - the pictures!

Initial Setup

The village of Two Angels, one bright sunny morning. The morning shift was about to be replaced when suddenly they spotted movement along the road, and ruffling in the bushes. They had been expecting a trade caravan coming in, and having gathered all of their wares in the city centre were to be easy pickings for these would be ruffians. Could they hold out until the trade caravan appeared?

The Stalwart Defenders of Two Angels

Big Sven and Company

Lore Note: This was prior to Big Svens rise to fame as the mayor of Dust Falls, in his early raiding years. What actually transpired for him to leave his ways of looting and plundering has never been clarified as Big Sven refuses to talk about his "early years"

Greaseball's Raiders!

Storming the gates!

Game Technical Note: Here we see the effects of the ill-fated rule about grouping. Thorbjørns raiders could simply swarm all over the place and kill as they pleased, with very little in the way of reactions for any other players (mainly due to LOS and atrocious hit chances). Options that we discussed afterwards were to have a special Leader skill, or perhaps only something that allows smaller groups. Again, still tinkering.

The gangs start to turn on each other, seeing that the defenders of Two Angels have perished

Scenario Note: As always with three way games - once the original defender has been taken care of, the others will instantly turn on each other. Of course, being both raiders and with a high interest in the loot and low interest in sharing with two many; who could really blame them?

There weren't a whole lot of pictures taken during this fight. We followed it up afterwards with a simple snatch and grab game immediately afterwards, where we continued to test the rules. We found that it was a bit too heavy on the die-rolls, and I'm currently considering ways to improve this. Other than that, we all agreed that Wasteland Chronicles definately has potential and I'm already working on streamlining it for it's next outing. Stay tuned for updates!

Oh and there are other photos located here, for those who are interested: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v404/clovermilk/post%20apocalypse/pre%20dust%20falls/

Cheers all!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: Second Playtest of Wasteland Chronicles - Fall of Two Angels
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:31:31 PM »
Great terrain! Oh wait.. I may be a bit disqualified in that matter!  lol

It was a funny game though and while I generally find it hard to keep interest in "my army against yours" games - it's fine for testing the rules. I look forward to playing a scenario later on! With my dungeon tiles perhaps?  8)
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »
looks like a great game ,

will there be a follow up with the surviving group ambushing the caravan  8)

dodge

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »
It sounds like we have our work cut out for us Thorbjørn; there's a Caravam to ambush! (Thanks dodge! ;))

But yes, eventually we - the people playtesting - will move away from "my army vs. your army" gaming and venture into scenarios. Stay tuned...

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 04:57:16 PM »
I certainly don't want to miss out a change to ambwush a carawam.  lol

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 09:07:51 AM »
by the way I didn't mention before

Your crashed and crushed vehicles are excellent I really thought that they were effectively done.

dodge

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »
@Dodge:

It's actually painfully simple and I shan't take credit for it but immediatly send you the link where I got the inspiration:

http://combatzonechronicles.net/cozoxb/plastrex.htm

I paint them with "Søstrene Grene" colours. I don't now if the shop exists in other countries? It's the equvalent of 99p stores.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »
Very clever and effective

dodge

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 10:16:18 AM »
Don't have the time to read but the pictures look nice and I must say that the rust look on the wrecks works very well! :)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins