Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:32:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690601
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hammers thread of Ice and Fire  (Read 25044 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Hammers thread of Ice and Fire
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2020, 02:52:16 PM »
Looking forward to seeing them. I did a Marbrand shield a while back, it ended up being mostly flame and very little tree.

I found it difficult to make vermillion contrast with ash grey. The outline doesn't show very well.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2020, 11:31:29 PM »
Really nice :-* The action shot(with the scenery) is brilliant!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2020, 01:47:35 AM »
They look fantastic on the battlefield.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Hammers thread of Ice and Fire: House Marbrand, Ser Damon
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2020, 09:36:21 AM »
I've completed the lord of House Marbrand, ser Damon. The Marbrands are not mentioned much in the canon, but Damon is the lord of Ashemark in the north east corner of the westerlands. The house are staunch followers of the Lannisters.

As mentioned in this thread they blazon their shields with cendrée, a tree in flame tenné, that is a burning tree against a field of ash grey. The son and heir of ser Damon, Addam, is said to wear burnished bronze armour and favours "red" horses, which means chestnuts.

I've picked the a scale of scarlet-vermilion-orange on light ash grey for the Marbrand livery.

The miniature is a 3rd edition Warhammer bretonnian wizard with the orb swapped for a sword. The original plastic horses are not very good, so I had him saddle a fiercer looking courser from a Chaos marauder, which I think does the trick.

I like the rather natty hat. I actually own a similar one for reenactment, but in green, siena livery, lined with red silk. Makes me look (and behave) like a cockerel.

Ser Damon is not, in armour, as you can see, but I hooked his shield and helmet onto the saddle, as if he has been accosted unawares.

I put some effort into painting some embroidered detail on the cotehardie (long sleeved buttoned jacket).

Closeup of the blazon of a burning tree, orange on smoke. I am guessing heraldry comes from a the Targaryan conquest when part of the westerlands were burnt. Or something like that. Given the general trends of Westrosi history, it is a safe bet that the area was burnt at some point.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 01:48:10 PM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Hammers thread of Ice and Fire: House Marbrand billmen
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2020, 10:12:57 AM »
The billmen retinue of Ser Damon.

A captain of the Marbrand household troops, perhaps a bastard by the lords son and therefore named "Hill", as all ill-begotten children of the westerlands.

[Citadel Bretonnian]

A variant of the blazon on a smaller shield.

I am not sure billmen would be carrying large shields as it would encumber their effective use of the halberd. But if he can sling it on his back like this it gives me an opportunity to paint the heraldry, which is fun. [Citadel Bretonnian]

Looking at this shield now, I should go back and tidy up that paint job...

These had no sling and peg on the back for a shield so I did not bother. [Black Tree Design Men of Averign]

I have really come to like painting these larger miniatures. There are not many suppliers (Game Zone, Black Tree Design, Fireforge) and the second hand Oldhammer Bretonnians market can be awfully pricey. [ Citadel Bretonnian and Black Tree Design Men of Averign]

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »
A lot of gritty character in those Peder  :-*
Ser Damon is magnificent.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2020, 11:30:20 AM »
“Gritty” ...exactly the word I was looking for - lovely work

8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Hammers thread of Ice and Fire: more House Trant
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2020, 02:12:02 PM »
Thanks, friends.

I have previously in this thread posted a few things regarding the family of Stormland landed knights by the name of House Trant. I bought these feudal knight and squire some time ago because of their beautifully dynamic poses.

The horse is really getti'n it in this little vignette like miniature. The arrows, both to Ser Trant and the horse, are my own additions. I most often use thin steel piano wire for this which are fletched with thin paper and superglue. [Game Zone]

Here form an angle where it is almost possible to see the rather intricate heraldry of House Trant: azure, a hanged man sable.

I admit, I usually use this kind of miniature as casualty marker, but in upcoming games I suppose he'll be crashing and dying like this all over the game board, perhaps pulling some other antagonists down with him.

The above feudal knight is the only produced by Game Zone miniatures which I like, the others being real clunkers. They do a set of mounted squires which are very nice and of which I am sure I will order more.

The nag, as most metal horses balancing on one leg, broke during some rough handling so I've pinned it with piano wire.  It will take a lot to make that snap, but since the pin is spring steel it now wobbles in an amusing way when moved about.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:46:30 AM by Hammers »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2020, 06:23:19 PM »
Lovely. Like old master oil paintings.

Love the idea of the wobbly horse  lol

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2020, 06:31:14 PM »
Lovely work! Damon Marbrand's conversion looks great! Keep it up!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2020, 04:43:03 AM »
Love the new forces especially the wonderfully dynamic dying knight and repurposed Brettonians.  Those Brettonians were some of my favorites back when I first started gaming.  Though they their heraldry was nowhere near as pretty or even accurate. 

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »
Great additions, especially like Ser Trant

What’s next?

More....we need more Game of Thrones goodness

:D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2020, 01:07:59 PM »
Great additions, especially like Ser Trant

What’s next?

More....we need more Game of Thrones goodness

:D

I don't plan to make armies, just a couple of bands which can clash by the Sept of Seven Hells. I need archers ( in house hold livery or levy rabel) and some riders. I have a few Clegane billmen but I need a suitable figure for Ser Sandor. Haven't found one yet. A few mercenaries from Myr with crossbows would be nice. I have  a maester on horse  and some sort of low key magician would be cool, like a red priest, an alchemist of Kings Landing or a warlock of Qarth.  By most accounts battle magic in Westros was considered more like posturing than having a real impact (well, you could claim that controlling  dragons and wild fire  have a lot to do with the outcome of battles, but the former is more like being an elephant tamer and the latter more akin to being a combat engineer).

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »
It's quite difficult to find a suitable large miniature to represent Ser Gregor Clegane, isn't it? By  all descriptions he is the size and  stature of a GW ogre, but I am not very fond of those. They are too cartoony.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »
I don't plan to make armies, just a couple of bands which can clash by the Sept of Seven Hells. I need archers ( in house hold livery or levy rabel) and some riders. I have a few Clegane billmen but I need a suitable figure for Ser Sandor. Haven't found one yet. A few mercenaries from Myr with crossbows would be nice. I have  a maester on horse  and some sort of low key magician would be cool, like a red priest, an alchemist of Kings Landing or a warlock of Qarth.  By most accounts battle magic in Westros was considered more like posturing than having a real impact (well, you could claim that controlling  dragons and wild fire  have a lot to do with the outcome of battles, but the former is more like being an elephant tamer and the latter more akin to being a combat engineer).

That’s the great thing about Game of Thrones - everyone has their own take on it, their own end goal, whether pitched battles or skirmishing. Personally I enjoy seeing Westeros through others eyes as much as progressing my own project.

:)

It's quite difficult to find a suitable large miniature to represent Ser Gregor Clegane, isn't it? By  all descriptions he is the size and  stature of a GW ogre, but I am not very fond of those. They are too cartoony.

Funnily enough was thinking exactly that earlier today. He is actually one of a handful of characters where I’d consider using the official figures (Darksword rather than the CMON range).

It’s not just the size, but finding a dynamic pose that looks right.