Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690590
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 700
Total: 705

Recent

Author Topic: M42 Duster  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Viper4Dan

• Librarian
  • There is only success and opportunity, not failure
M42 Duster
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:04:49 AM »
Scholars, gamers and seekers of Cold War wisdom......does anyone know of a company that makes a 25mm, 28mm, 1/48 or 1/56 M42 Duster AA tank.....or am I just hoping for too much?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: M42 Duster
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »
Company B do the M41 Walker Bulldog and there's not that much turret to build on the M42... or you could enquire 'if' Brent and Co. plan to produce an M42 turret for it.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 08:56:19 AM »
No straight copies that I'm aware of, though maybe De Agostini or a similar company came up with one (probably in a smaller scale though). IIRC Corgi did a Bulldog, but you'd need to make the turret from scratch.

I'm being given a plastic 1/48th Bulldog this week hopefully (to turn into a Sho't), but have no idea of the manufacturer. :/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »
No straight copies that I'm aware of, though maybe De Agostini or a similar company came up with one (probably in a smaller scale though). IIRC Corgi did a Bulldog, but you'd need to make the turret from scratch.

I'm being given a plastic 1/48th Bulldog this week hopefully (to turn into a Sho't), but have no idea of the manufacturer. :/

Why would you attempt to turn an American light tank into a Centurion derivative? Wouldn't you be better off using a Centurion as the basis of which there are  a number of options in 1/48, 1/56 and 1/50 ish? The M-41 looks nothing like a  Sho't. Curious as to who makes a 1/48 M-41, I thought the only  option apart from Company B was the 1/50 Japanese tin plate toy version I paid a bomb for.

Brent did say something about making a Duster if there was sufficient interest. I suppose it depends on how well the M-41 sales went. You could always ask, he frequents this forum.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »
Bah! I'm mixing up tanks. Blame it on the lack of coffee. ...Yeah, we'll go with that.

I mean an early series Magach.  :'(

Oh, and you're screwed if you want a Centurion in 28mm. The 1/48th Aurora kit costs a bomb, and the Corgi diecast is a bit small (and similarly expensive, my mate found one at a show last week).

As for the Bulldog. I'll ask tomorrow when I'm given the kit. I was offered it weeks ago, but at the time had no use for one, but I'll check the specs then (the guy giving me it knows a lot more about the kits than I do.).

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:17:13 PM »
Cool, would be interested to know who makes one in 1/48.

For a Centurion or. Sho't you can always try contacting John at Force of Arms. He makes exquisite kits of the Centurion. I contacted him directly a couple of years ago and he cast me three Cent Mk 6s to order. Pretty reasonably priced too. Worth a try, it worked for me.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »
Well, not to take this too off topic, I'm only considering a Sho't till I see the M48 tomorrow. Ideally I'd pick up a crappy hull and turn it into a Nakpadon actually, though more likely I'll find myself using a Zelda for an APC.

...And the only reason I'm thinking about making a Magach is that nobody makes a convincing enough looking Merkava. Company B can burn in hell for showing me that resin one they made years ago, but never put into production.  :)

The Force of Arms one would be 1/56th right (huh, oddly Warlord don't sell a Centurion at all, weird)? The issue with the Israeli stuff is that I can get some of it in that scale, but ideally I want 1/48th - 1/50th. The Centurion my friend found was probably 1/56th, and I could use that at a pinch, but I prefer the larger end of 28mm.

1/43rd can die in a well though.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:34:27 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »
If you can wait a little Wyrmalla, Blitzkrieg minis are doing a cold war range including a Centurion (also a T-55, An AMX-30 & a Chieftan so far). They do their vehicles in both 1/56 & 1/48, so should have you covered. They're only at the render stage, but Blitzkrieg are generally pretty quick in getting to actual product & I can recommend their kits.
 The Force of Arms kit is also great (I have one of their MkIII Centurions) & I believe they also do a later, 105 L7 armed model).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:11:13 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »
Why is that company making a T-55? Compared to the Centurion the market's saturated. T-64s are like hen's teeth by comparison. ¬¬

Aye, thanks for the links, we'll see if that comes to anything. Again, not to hijack the thread, ideally I'd have a Nakpadon and a Merkava (...which is Centurion based), but realistically I'll probably wind up with a Magach and a Zelda.

But aye, I'll follow up on this tomorrow about that plastic kit. I know it was a Patton, but now I'm second guessing myself as I think its a M47 rather than an M48 (Israeli Sho'ts and their derivatives are mostly M60s, but there's probably some older ones around knowing the Israelis). Though the guy who's giving me it'll probably know about other manufacturers regardless (we spent two hours looking for inexpensive Centurion models online last week...).

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 05:23:35 PM »
If you can wait a little Wyrmalla, Blitzkrieg minis are doing a cold war range including a Centurion (also a T-55, An AMX-30 & a Chieftan so far). They do their vehicles in both 1/56 & 1/48, so should have you covered. They're only at the render stage, but Blitzkrieg are generally pretty quick in getting to actual product & I can recommend their kits.
 The Force of Arms kit is also great (I have one of their MkIII Centurions) & I believe they also do a later, 105 L7 armed model).

Christ! That's torn it, might as well pop the kids on ebay if Blitzkrieg are doing the Cold War. Chieftain yes!, AMX-30 is an odd choice because nobody does French infantry and there's actually a bloody good Solido diecast in 1/50 as well as an excellent upgrade kit from Gasoline.

T-55? Have enough already and price wise you can't compete with those excellent Chinese diecasts.

Now if they were to do a T-62,  especially the up-armoured Afghan version,  I'd be all over them like a cheap suit.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
Just noticed I hope that's an early version of the render cos the turret shape is seriously out.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 06:56:46 PM »
M42 Duster - Yes..it's on the list, as is the T-62 and all variants of the BTR-50.  Our issue is finding resin casting shops that can cast the models we already have and keep up with any new demand.

I have a new shop doing resin casts of our Wirbelwind turrets, and if these pass muster, I can imagine the floodgates would open for all the CAD and masters we have shelved at the moment.

If you're interested in Scratch building one, I can perhaps get some prints done of the tracks...

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:55:16 PM »
To follow up on this. The tank my friend found for my is an M41 by the looks of it. Its actually an oddly convincing toy and around 1/50th scale. Not dedicated kit level of detail, but not Academy bad either (buh dum tush ;)). I'll maybe post some pictures of it whenever I get around to finishing off building my Achzarit (but before I turn it into a Magach, I'm not 100% on the scale right now, need to get out my ruler).