Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:05:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Celts in Frostgrave  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Celts in Frostgrave
« on: April 16, 2016, 02:58:20 PM »
Working on another warband, this one nearly exclusively using Warlord Games Ancient Celts.

Picture above shows the entire starting warband, with an extra guy: will drop either the Captain or Berserker, depending on whether our next local campaign will use the Sellsword supplement to be able to field the former or not. Beyond that, it's wizard (hand weapon), apprentice (staff), 2 warhounds, 4 javelineers (from Thaw of the Lich Lord expansion) and a man-at arms.

Apprentice, wizard (no choice in terms of school of magic really, bound to be a Witch that one, though Soothsayer could be justified too), berserker and captain. Straight from the druid and chieftains blisters. Actual paintjobs soon..ish...

Man-at-arms.

Javelineers. All four (these and below) need some extra work on the cloaks, after the current layers have set. At least they're a bit less cold in the Frozen City now... Shouldn't have shields of any descriptions, but the fists looked off without anything, so compromised and gave them bucklers (two from the Perry Medieval Mercenaries, another two are stripped-down Gripping Beast Dark Age shields).

More sculpting and painting to follow!
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:33:13 PM »
Nice work. I'm using a few of these as thugs in my warband. they are such dynamic sculpts for plastics!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Celts in Frostgrave
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »
Looking good! Those were the first historical minis I ever bought, shame I've lost most of them by now. Need to get another of those kits....

Offline Cymril

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 06:16:06 PM »
Looks really interesting! I'm looking forward to see them painted.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »
First painting in over a month time, dang doesn't time just fly. Couldn't resist starting with the Big Friendly Giant. Rather liked that sculpt.

Nice work. I'm using a few of these as thugs in my warband. they are such dynamic sculpts for plastics!
Certainly, some combinations of parts can look a bit off, but once you got something that looks right, they often end up looking fantastic.

Looking good! Those were the first historical minis I ever bought, shame I've lost most of them by now. Need to get another of those kits....
Also some of the first historical minis I got (may be related to the fact that they were among the first plastics ever made in the genre!). Worst part is of course that they were released in '08 I think, and mine still are mostly grey...

Looks really interesting! I'm looking forward to see them painted.
As am I!

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 02:58:01 PM »
Looking very good so far - I have a lot of admiration for those that can paint tartan/plaid, so bravo!

Offline Plus Four

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »
I've recently had those Celts brought to my attention (more so for Runequest rather than Frostgrave) and I do like them. Your paint job is spot on - very clean. I like!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:06:07 AM »
Most likely going to play a Celt.warband in our games too. Plus they are in the jungle, so even less reason for them to be there!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
Phew, been a while. With a new campaign just started and me sort of running it, I decided to crack on and finally get the starting band painted up. Two knights, two treasure hunters and another barbarian are mostly built and awaiting colouring.
Changed the apprentice from the angry druid to a spare model from Heresy - had to de-zombify her first, as she was originally undead and had some bits missing. Captain's paintjob will be updated as time goes on, he'll get some patterns on his cloak and metal armour once he deserves it.

Warband! Big barbarian guy will originally see use as a thug (no armour, hand weapon.. one less model to paint!). Overall composition: Wizard (hand weapon), Apprentice (hand weapon), Captain (hand weapon, dagger, leather armour), Man-at-Arms, 3 Javelineers, Thug, 2 War hounds.

Affraig, the wizard. Looks like I'll actually be using her as a Thaumaturge. Just a misunderstood old woman living in a forest dealing in medicinal herbs, I'm sure.

Willow, her apprentice. As harmless as she looks, no doubt about it.

Captain

Two friendly looking war hounds

Man-at-Arms

Javelineer #1

Number 2

And the final one
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:11:31 PM by Coenus Scaldingus »

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »
Those look great!
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »
Great sculpting work on those cloaks!

joe

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 11:13:06 AM »
dangerous bay city rollers....tartan rocks!!!  great mods!!!

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »
Great sculpting work on those cloaks!

joe

Agreed!

Coenus, can you recommend a tutorial for your hooded claok sculpting method?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 07:38:25 PM »
Thanks all - looking forward to painting some more tartan, but thought the lowly javelineers didn't quite deserve it (sorry guys!). Good thing it's the knights and other elite figures up next.

Coenus, can you recommend a tutorial for your hooded claok sculpting method?
The cloak is like any other, there may well be some good guides out there, but if not, I'll see about taking some pics when sculpting a few more over the next few weeks, there happen to be a number of models on the desk that will get some. Here's a quick guide to sculpting hoods I typed up a while back (by Odin, didn't realise 3.5 years have passed since then): http://thelastalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=311&start=120#p70003

Offline Psychoflexible

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »
Where the eye eating crow come from ?