Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:11:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rogue Planet  (Read 3103 times)

Gabbi

Rogue Planet
« on: April 16, 2016, 04:20:32 PM »
I've read few but nice comments on this game, and the author seems to have a good reputation for every game he created (Havoc, Mahyem...).
Just got it as the Deal if the Day on WV. So any comments, link to batreps, or additional material would be welcome. Also, apart 40K and Infinity (that are quite characteristic and tied to their own universe), my collection of sci-fi models is a bit scarce, so suggestion on nice "generic" lines would be welcome, too. I myself, I was eyeing AE Bounty and CP Models ones, especially the latter as shipped from EU.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Re: Rogue Planet
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »
I've never heard of rogue planet so don't know what style your going for,but Don't forget about kit bashing your own, I like using fantasy or historical miniatures ,a weapon swap or add a tip to a rifle to make it a las rifle etc.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 06:13:47 PM »
Sorry, can't help you with batreps, but have to say I love the game.
Maybe the movement-rules are a little bit uncommon for some people, but the game gives you a lot of freedom and plays quite easily.

I myself used mostly Dark Age minis for my games, but you could easily use Star Wars minis as well, or all the other SiFi-minis out there ;)

Gabbi

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks for replies. Sure I could build minis from spare parts, in fact I've recently seen somewhere on the web (but I cannot recall where) some sci fi reptilians made with Wargames Factory trenchcoats and GW Lizardmen heads. While the heads were a bit on the big side, they looked great. I also own a somewhat large collection of Dark Age models (Forsaken, Dragiri, Skarrd) as I love the game and played it quite a lot, sometime ago.
It seems to me that Movement rules are "heavily inspired" by Ganesha Games' Battlesworn.
Anyway, eager to play the game. I've always read praises to this author games, and albeit owning both Havoc and Mayhem, I never managed to play them. Hope to "break the curse" with Rogue Planet! :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:39:37 PM by Gabbi »

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 10:49:32 AM »
Great spot on WV. I'd looked at getting these tiles a while back (im a big fan of Mayhem) they sound intriguing and I'm looking forward to giving them a go.

Figures wise I've got a load of different sci fi stuff I'll prbably use,  but I'm tempted to use it as an excuse to pick up a few hasslefree models I've been eyeing up for a while, the dynamic posing seems to suit the style of the game!

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 03:06:57 AM »
I've never thought of the Infinity figures as that tied to their fluff.  At least most of them.

Here are them being used as an alien-human collaborative civilization called the Hurloon in a game of 30K.

http://imgur.com/a/iK3IE

I don't actually use the Infinity figs in their universe at all.  I make up my own which is set on earth in about 2060. 

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 10:18:30 PM »
I love Rogue Planet - I've been slowly converting my own forces of Science-Fantast stuff for it, mostly from GW plastics, as a sort of Realm of Chaos meets Masters of the Universe thing. Dark Age minus should be great for it. It also work well for small 40k skirmishes, especially for people who model True Scale Marines and such. Great, inspiring ruleset (as is Mayhem).

Gabbi

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 09:08:40 PM »
I've been slowly converting my own forces of Science-Fantast stuff for it
Would love to see them :)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 07:42:39 PM »

It seems to me that Movement rules are "heavily inspired" by Ganesha Games' Battlesworn.

I thought the same and asked Brent about that, but funnily he never heared about Battlesworn before.

I very much like the "Metabarons" comics and thought that Rogue Planet is great for gaming in that universe.
So, I used the Dark Age St. Luke and the Arsenals to represent Neo-Pope troops and minis like Orchid and Nathaniel for Castaka/Metabarons.

Gabbi

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 10:19:10 PM »
Didn't have the opportunity to read the Metabarons, but overall I do love Giménez works!