Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1/72 tank markings - any pointers?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
1/72 tank markings - any pointers?
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:20:18 PM »
Evening all,

I'm currently painting three Shermans (one of them a Firefly) and I think I'm pleased with the colour - a suitably dull Olive Drab. However, I'm finding it difficult to obtain decent information (suitable for an amateur who doesn't really know the terminology, etc) on markings. Ideally, I'd like to mark these as British tanks (obviously the Firefly would have to be) but the internet is strangely reluctant to give up its secrets on this one. In an even more ideal world, I'd be able to obtain suitable decals/transfers for 1/72 scale and a nice diagram on what to put where.

Anyway ... any ideas that could make it easy for a ham-fisted beginner to make a decent job of these?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: 1/72 tank markings - any pointers?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:41:32 PM »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:45:45 PM by grant »
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:40:49 PM »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:54:58 PM »
I could point you to a couple of my web pages

http://www.kerynne.com/games/British7thArmouredDivision.html

http://www.kerynne.com/games/BritishArmouredRegimentTOE.html

The Firefly wouldn't have different markings to other tanks in its Troop, or probably even its Squadron.

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:02:51 PM »
You are beautiful people. I shall check out those links and see how I get on.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:42:52 AM »
I could point you to a couple of my web pages

http://www.kerynne.com/games/British7thArmouredDivision.html

http://www.kerynne.com/games/BritishArmouredRegimentTOE.html

The Firefly wouldn't have different markings to other tanks in its Troop, or probably even its Squadron.

Indeed. The Firefly was originally the troop leader's tank, until it was realized that rate of loss among TLs was rather high. So it was given to the troop sergeant instead. Far more expendable! This occurred sometime around July of 1944 in general. 

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 03:21:14 PM »
Here's a related question:

I've read that British Shermans were often/usually left in the original US Olive Drab. I'm painting them as such, anyway. However, the thought occurs to me that the Firefly was a British adaptation. I'm assuming it would have been repainted in the British green at the same time? Otherwise that gun barrel just won't match the rest of the tank and nobody wants that kind of unstylish colour clash on the battlefield!

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 06:28:14 PM »
Here's a related question:

I've read that British Shermans were often/usually left in the original US Olive Drab. I'm painting them as such, anyway. However, the thought occurs to me that the Firefly was a British adaptation. I'm assuming it would have been repainted in the British green at the same time? Otherwise that gun barrel just won't match the rest of the tank and nobody wants that kind of unstylish colour clash on the battlefield!

British Shermans could be in US Olive Drab if they were new.  If they came from another theatre of war, had been refitted, or had a major overhaul/rebuild then they could well be British green (some might even be camouflaged).  Some were "patch painted" in that any extra bits, repairs etc were painted British green while the rest of the tank was US Olive Drab.  The Firefly could be British green or patch painted. 

So your troop of three could be quite mixed!  Also active service quickly weathers colours with dirt, mud, dust, spillages and general wear and tear leading to variety of colours.

The tanks were liberally covered by all sorts of stuff so most markings disappeared.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »
I'm often surprised at how varied the use of markings and camo could be, depending on local conditions or the whim of the commander.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter