Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690315
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 569
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dark alchemy is on sale!  (Read 5787 times)

Offline Davies

• Librarian
Dark alchemy is on sale!
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:35:15 AM »
As the title says...

I'm just started to read it, but seems it will give a lot of deep to our game. It contains a mini-campaign, three new creatures and a new (and extensive) list of potions. My favourites at the moment: the shrinking potion, to put your treasures in a pocket, and the bottle of dreams and nightmares, to win (or lose) experiece points.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:40:17 AM by Davies »

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
Re: Dark alchemy is on sale!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:29:35 AM »
This is a great start for a campaign and a sweet intro. Love it. It also makes potions less of a throw away roll on the chart :-)

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
Anyone got any thought on figures for the new monsters?

Alchemical Monstrosity, Fire Flingers & Burning Skeleton.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:35:39 PM »
There are plenty of tentacled nightmares kicking around I have a few dreamblade minis that fit the bill for the alchemical thing. Burning skeletons are fairly easy just paint some skeletons on fire or use the flaming skeletons d&d models. The fire throwers I'm thinking flamer of tzeenich from gw.

Another thought:

Bases and dark alchemy.

I would say you can't choose a base until after the mini campaign for a starting warbands. Otherwise everyone would just take a lab and get 60 free xp then at the end choose the base you actually want.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:50:48 PM by Timeshadow »

Offline steeldragon

• Librarian
    • IG :)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
As this new potion tables are meant to replace the ones in the main rulebook... it means no more Demons in a Bottle? and for the alchemical monstrosity I might use a beholder or something cthulhu-mythos like... not sure what to use for the fire throwers...

Andres

Offline RedSquig

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 04:20:10 PM »
The skaven monstrosity suits well too...

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 05:54:54 PM »
For fire flingers, I picked up a box of these a couple of months back for £1. Soft plastic, but they paint up really nicely.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »
As this new potion tables are meant to replace the ones in the main rulebook... it means no more Demons in a Bottle? and for the alchemical monstrosity I might use a beholder or something cthulhu-mythos like... not sure what to use for the fire throwers...

Andres

No more demon in a bottle is I think a good thing. Though I might consider bringing it back as an advanced potion That has summon and bind demon along with the summoning circle as prerequisites plus say a 100-200gp cost for components. I'd also have the creator roll for the summon and modify the diff to make the potion by the strength of the demon 0 for imp, +2 for minor, +4 for greater (-1 if the greater demon is large).

Offline Dreadknot69

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »
I literally just started playing the game, and I only recently got into these games to begin with, so my mini selection is limited.  However, when I was reading the description of the first scenario, it made me think of the rats from Myth, since those are the only ones I have. 

I'll use this as the monstrosity and the giant rats:

I realize it's not really a Alchemical monstrosity but hey, I'm limited and it fits the rat theme for me.

While I was writing this, I remembered another Myth mini I could use maybe use for the monstrosity instead.  It's actually a bit larger than the rat boss:

However, I could get the rat boss painted to the table MUCH faster than the Scylopt boss.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 08:34:14 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing other expansions geared to each of the schools of magic.

We currently have:
Litch lord: Necromancy
Golem: Enchanter
Dark Alchemy: Witch

We still need:
Summoner one for different demon types to summon.
A Cronomancer one to fix how the upper end spells work and maby add some more utility.
A soothsayer one for ???? Soothsayers are pritty good :-)
An Illusionist one for more tricks
An elementalist one for ??? again pritty good.
Sigilist for new scroll and grim rules
Thamaturge for not sure better healing stuff?

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »
I'm not sure Into the Breeding Pits really leans to any particular school of magic, but Forgotten Pacts is definitely for the Summoners...

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 08:59:02 PM »
As this new potion tables are meant to replace the ones in the main rulebook... it means no more Demons in a Bottle?

No more bottled demons? Ah nuts!  :'(

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 10:57:51 PM »
Bummer. Nothing like saving them up amongst your war band and then dropping 5 or 6 bottles in a game.   = )
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Pseudok

• Student
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 11:23:33 PM »
There was an encouragement in the foreword to come and talk if additional solo material is wanted or needed.

While I'm not sure how interesting solo wargaming is going to be, I thought that getting solo play rules for Thaw of the Lich Lord could be a thing. Most of the scenarios have different npc challenges on the board already anyway and the story arc would fit solo campaign just about perfectly. I can almost see a two page pdf as a free download, which functions double duty as a teaser for the campaign.

Offline Dreadknot69

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 05:44:24 AM »
I have not had a chance to play the solo or co-op game but I know that these rules are what brought me into the game. I've been making terrain with my sons for about a month now, in anticipation of this release.

So I for one, would love to see even more solo / co-op content.

On a different note, I've found my monstrosity for scenario 1:

It's  from the board game Wrath of Ashardalon. While I find the game quite boring, I am getting a ton of mileage out of the minis. They make up a good chunk of my warband and the monsters.