Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with 28mm Dwarf figure scale comparisons  (Read 1993 times)

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
Help with 28mm Dwarf figure scale comparisons
« on: April 21, 2016, 03:53:47 PM »
Howdy,
I know this topic crops up every now and again, but really am looking for a good actual scale comparison between different lines of 28mm dwarves. I like the design look and size of GW's LOTR dwarves, but they are priced like gold.

So…looking for alternatives that are more affordable.

Specifically -- I really like the Sgt Major Miniatures dwarves (ex Vendel), the Dark Ages/Norse look is cool. However, I've read that they are closer to 30mm than 28mm, so I'm hesitant to buy them if they are as tall as a 28mm human figure. Am I correct or incorrect on this?

The Mirliton dwarves (EM-4 carries some in plastic) are kinda nice looking also. Hasslefree lloks good, though they are also a bit pricey.

However, I can't find an actual scale comparison that shows:

1. Side by side of 28mm dwarves across different manufacturers (Sgt Major, Mirliton, Hasslefeee, etc.)

2. Side by side with the dwarves next to a standard 28mm human or elf figure (Same lines, or GW, Mantic, reaper, etc.) to see how they look on the gaming table together.

Any help would be appreciated!
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline MM

• Bookworm
Re: Help with 28mm Dwarf figure scale comparisons
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
I too love both the GW LOTR dwarves and the old Vendel/current SGMM ones (there's a Vendel one in my profile picture). The Vendel ones are very nice and relatively quick to paint!

Unfortunately I don't think they are compatible, the Vendel ones are a bit bigger and bulkier. A better match for LOTR dwarves are the Red Box ones. They are a bit slighter but I don't think one would notice the difference when painted.

I can take a picture, but that will take some days because I'm not near my own personal Dwarven stronghold at the moment.

By the way, I took the logical step of painting both LOTR and Vendel dwarves, you can never have too much  :D.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
Snip

By the way, I took the logical step of painting both LOTR and Vendel dwarves, you can never have too much  :D.

With Dwarves that is so true - until you have several hundred you need to excess...
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 09:39:23 AM »
As a historical gamer more used to serried ranks of similar posed figures, I value the minor differences in stature presented by using different makers. As long as the armour and tech is comparable, I see nothing wrong in mixing makes to get extra variety...Who would have thought Mithril and GW Rohirrim work together? one noted for being more like 30mm and the other closer to true 25mm, yet when they are painted and based in the same manner they work...

you can never have too much  :D.
:D :D :D
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »
I too love both the GW LOTR dwarves and the old Vendel/current SGMM ones (there's a Vendel one in my profile picture). The Vendel ones are very nice and relatively quick to paint!

Unfortunately I don't think they are compatible, the Vendel ones are a bit bigger and bulkier. A better match for LOTR dwarves are the Red Box ones. They are a bit slighter but I don't think one would notice the difference when painted.

I can take a picture, but that will take some days because I'm not near my own personal Dwarven stronghold at the moment.

Hi MM, thanks -- how do the Vendel ones look compared to 28mm human and elf figures? Are they distinctly shorter and identifiable as dwarves, or about the same height and thus could pass as 28mm humans?

Offline Aulë

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:16:36 PM »
The photos are not very good, sorry, but hope this can help you to compare a bit.

From left to right: Stg major, GW plastic, Stg major, Mithril, GW metal, MiniaturasDelCastillo

GW metal, StgMajor,  GW plastic, Stg major, GW metal Gimli

Note that the Stg major miniatures are a bit higher, but also have a small metal base that makes look taller than the GW ones.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
That's great, thanks! I could always cut the metal strip off the bottom of a Sgt Major mini or put a groove into a base, they'd look pretty much the same size then.