Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:12:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691519
  • Total Topics: 118400
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 68838 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Ah thanks TFB  :). That all helps with my understanding.

It kinda makes me glad I didn't read* the books as if I had, I would have been invested in them, and doubt I would be enjoying the TV presentation.

*to be honest I hadn't even heard of the books until I started watching the TV presentation, and I didn't pick that up until part way through series 1.  :o

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Ah thanks TFB  :). That all helps with my understanding.

It kinda makes me glad I didn't read* the books as if I had, I would have been invested in them, and doubt I would be enjoying the TV presentation.

*to be honest I hadn't even heard of the books until I started watching the TV presentation, and I didn't pick that up until part way through series 1.  :o

Yes, to be honest my dissatisfaction with the tv show began when I started reading the books. So perhaps you shouldn't read the books as they will ruin the show. Though my argument instead would be that if you like the show, and like reading.... Well, you are gonna enjoy this book series. Read them!!!! : )

I'm glad I got to enjoy the first three or four season before starting the books though. I REALLY enjoyed them. Interestingly, parts of the show that seemed incredible, looking back now seem... Kinda naff. Best example would be the battle of the Blackwater, end of season 2. That was the most exciting part of the series at the time, I simply loved it. But now I can see it pales in comparison to the book's account of the battle, from the points of view of Davos and Tyrion. Those chapters just had me glued to the pages and left me breathless! Looking back at that episode, it seems kinda lame to me now in comparison. I guess that just goes to show the power of a good book! I believe books will nearly always beat screen adaptations in the end, however good the latter (see LOTR, also Harry Potter). Hollywood cannot live up to the power of the imagination! : )
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:41:23 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
All very true Charlie.  :)

TBH I read nowhere near as much as I used to, my 'alone time' now tending to be consumed by miniatures!  :D

However, I do enjoy the book readers' take on the TV series, especially as it often fills in blanks that weren't deemed 'necessary' for the casual TV viewer.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I rather enjoyed episode 3. It covered a lot of ground. The flashbacks are getting dangerously close to telling us something (maybe!).

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
The Rickon thing is moronic. What a mischaracterisation of almost every Northerner in the series.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
The Rickon thing is moronic. What a mischaracterisation of almost every Northerner in the series.

Yeah that one has people pretty split from what I've been reading on reddit and discussing with fellow reader friends.  It could be a (rather unbelievable given who Ramsay is and what he tends to do) show-only twist on the Great Northern Conspiracy, but based on the description for a fat Northern Lord character casting call, why put Umber in Manderly's role?  One point that I could see being true, and wouldn't mind personally was that in order for "B*stardBowl" (as it is affectionately referred to   :D ) to have more suspense, they need the Boltons to actually have some support so that army vs. army for the big fight is actually believable. 

While this is an irritating change for readers like ourselves, "this is different so it is bad" isn't the greatest POV to take here.  You have to remember that the Umbers are barely in the show, so this isn't some mis-characterization of beloved Stark allies.  If Show-SmallJon is to be taken at his word, then the GreatJon is dead, and his brief appearances several seasons ago are show-watchers only connection with that House.  The change didn't make me feel great knowing what I know (from what's in the books), but to a show-only viewer (even with the huge popularity of the books, these people still vastly outnumber us), I can see it making sense.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God

Yeah, that bit did have a very contrived feel. I wasn't keen on it. The Arya stuff is also getting very samey and a little clichéd.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
 Looks like Bran is about to find-out who Jons Mother is and his twin sister too.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Yeah, that bit did have a very contrived feel. I wasn't keen on it. The Arya stuff is also getting very samey and a little clichéd.

I'm not a fan simply because [spoiler incoming]....

They killed Shaggydog! He should at least have had the chance to maul some bad guys.

And yes, the Arya storyline is without a doubt the most boring part of the show now. Shame, as her scenes used to be among the best.

I still hope there is SOME sort of northern conspiracy going on that will bring the Boltons down. Even if the Umbers are aligning the wrong way. Still... Smalljon doesn't seem particularly matey, he might well be planning to ally with Ramsay to defeat the wildings then turn on him?
They've re-introduced House Umber and House Karstark and so far painted them as 'bad guys'. I'm hoping they introduce some 'good guy' northerners out for revenge. Wyman Manderly? Lady Dustin? The Mountain Clans?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Max von Sydow, gotto love the presence the guy brings. But in the books he is supposed to be the Blood Raven (Brandon Ricers?), the Hand whto was banished to the wall, just 90 years before current events... Right? Int the show its said he's been parked in that tree for a 1000 years, which would make him, what, Brandon the Builder?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:59:08 PM by Hammers »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
I just looked at the wiki page for season 6 to see the cast, and saw some interesting new characters. Characters from the books who who haven't appeared yet, admittedly very minor, interesting to see they have chosen these two out of many options, the first one in particular I've always wanted to see more of in the books.

For book readers, go to the wiki page here, check out the cast list for In The Riverlands, the two 'new' characters....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_(season_6)#Cast

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
I'm not a fan simply because [spoiler incoming]....

They killed Shaggydog! He should at least have had the chance to maul some bad guys.

And yes, the Arya storyline is without a doubt the most boring part of the show now. Shame, as her scenes used to be among the best.

I still hope there is SOME sort of northern conspiracy going on that will bring the Boltons down. Even if the Umbers are aligning the wrong way. Still... Smalljon doesn't seem particularly matey, he might well be planning to ally with Ramsay to defeat the wildings then turn on him?
They've re-introduced House Umber and House Karstark and so far painted them as 'bad guys'. I'm hoping they introduce some 'good guy' northerners out for revenge. Wyman Manderly? Lady Dustin? The Mountain Clans?

Lady Dustin is a bonafide cynic could have been used as a bastard insted of Smalljohn. But I have the same hunch as you, that Umber will turn on Bolton. It's a shame the the Manderly canibal pies are not a part of the show. I liked that in the books.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Should we place bets on how many episodes Rickon lasts until he dies?  ;D
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
He should stay alive for a while ( Rest of season 6) is my bet!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
My hunch is that a trained-up Arya is going to be sent to kill Jon Snow. That seems to be where all the "abnegation of self" is going, given her closeness with her half-brother at the start of the story.

That would at least rescue her storyline from kung-fu cliches ...