Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:07:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?  (Read 67876 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: SPOILER ALERT! So am I the only one excited about a new round of GoT?
« Reply #600 on: May 22, 2019, 12:33:15 AM »
'Game of Thrones' Finale May Have Revealed How Daenerys Comes Back to Life: Melisandre wasn't the only Red Priestess around...

:o :o :o

Kinvara, a high-ranking Red Priestess, appeared briefly in Season 6, traveling from Volantis to Meereen to pledge her support for Daenerys Targaryen. We haven’t seen Kinvara since, but it’s worth noting that in Season 7, Melisandre left Westeros and traveled to Volantis on a mysterious mission. Melisandre already knew she would die in Westeros, but maybe she needed to prepare Kinvara for the task ahead.

Of course, Kinvara isn’t the only Red Woman in Volantis. There’s an entire Red Priesthood of Volantis. So if someone is going to bring Dany back to life, it’s probably going to happen there.

So now Dany Bois could possibly pull a Sheev Palpatine from the Dark Empire series sans clones?!? She already has an army of impotent stormtroopers...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:49:04 AM by Condottiere »

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #601 on: May 22, 2019, 06:18:09 AM »
The ending makes as much sense as the rest of the season. It has been akin to a coitus interruptus.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #602 on: May 22, 2019, 06:32:37 AM »
I wonder if they will get an action figure?

;) :D

lol

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #603 on: May 22, 2019, 07:16:21 AM »
Not the best season, but perhasp not the worst either.

And overall as mainstream telly goes it was amazing. Compared to the rest of the cr@p on TV that is on offer it is head and shoulders above - I am talking fantasy/sci fi domain here. But even cop and drama shows... For me the only other thing I've seen that was good is The Terror. It even beats most fantasy film except:

There have been so many shocks and twists along the way that it would have been hard to have a better ending.

I was happy to see that the three Stark characters came out of it with what they wanted, Bran being no longer a Stark was punished for being touched by the Evil Blue Guy when Heidi's Grandad was trapped by that "bad" tree that wouldn't let him go....

Perhaps the Imp could have died, I found his speech the most annoying part of the season (and perhaps the series).

Perhaps Dany's I've gone crazy speech should have come before the battle and not after, but regardless the Destruction of KL was a "great" moment and great TV. I even liked the fact that the Dragon was unable to kill Jon that's to his Dragon blood it showed that it was a beast or burden/pet and not a completely free entity - perhaps it didn't want to kill all those people - maybe it learned it's lesson when it killed the shepard's kid on the other side of the pond.

The three story lines the Starks offer make for good tv, books, film and gaming ideas so that's good and of course someone will want to tame the North again or find that Dragon.

And remember the highs - The Red Wedding, The Mountain exploding people's heads and Ned Stark having his lopped off.

I haven't enjoyed TV as much since Deadwood, which also had a poor ending (perhaps to be set right) and compared to other endings it was satisfactory.

I am almost disappointed to see that next year's series is 5000 years before, but wouldn't it be worse to follow the same characters...

Ultimately compared to the rest of "gamer related" TV it stands out by miles...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:18:32 AM by thebinmann »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #604 on: May 22, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »
The one thing which does bug me with the this wrap up is the rationale why Bran the Broken should be king.

Tyrion says:
"What unites people? Armies? Gold? Flags? Stories. There’s nothing in the world more powerful than a good story. Nothing can stop it. No enemy can defeat it. And who has a better story than Bran the Broken? The boy who fell from a high tower and lived. He knew he’d never walk again, so he learned to fly. He crossed beyond the Wall, a crippled boy, and became the Three-Eyed Raven. He is our memory, the keeper of all our stories. The wars, weddings, births, massacres, famines. Our triumphs, our defeats, our past. Who better to lead us into the future?"

I find this feeble. Or I do not have the insights required to get it.

I guess that roman emperors have been selected on weaker grounds, like Claudius. Perhaps that's from where the scriptwriters picked their inspiration. Claudius, after all, turned out to be quite able administrator and lawmaker.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #605 on: May 22, 2019, 09:35:56 AM »
As I said before, the last season despite some good bits essentially SUCKED as a story...and Condottiere pointed to a good link explaining why. Here it is again. It has some big words in it but I think this group can handle using a dictionary!  ;D 

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

And don't forget to sign the petition, if for nothing else than to voice your disgust at bad writing from a bunch of grossly overpaid Hollywood types!

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers?source_location=discover_feed

It probably won't happen but let the HBO Execs know that they can't keep screwing things up without consequences!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #606 on: May 22, 2019, 09:42:59 AM »
The one thing which does bug me with the this wrap up is the rationale why Bran the Broken should be king.

Tyrion says:
"What unites people? Armies? Gold? Flags? Stories. There’s nothing in the world more powerful than a good story. Nothing can stop it. No enemy can defeat it. And who has a better story than Bran the Broken? The boy who fell from a high tower and lived. He knew he’d never walk again, so he learned to fly. He crossed beyond the Wall, a crippled boy, and became the Three-Eyed Raven. He is our memory, the keeper of all our stories. The wars, weddings, births, massacres, famines. Our triumphs, our defeats, our past. Who better to lead us into the future?"

I guess that roman emperors have been selected on weaker grounds, like Claudius. Perhaps that's from where the scriptwriters picked their inspiration. Claudius, after all, turned out to be quite able administrator and lawmaker.

Aside from Tyrion's excuse about stories (which I though not the least bit subtle) Bran knows the past better than anyone and can see where others went wrong. He also has no ambition of his own to further his own agenda (that we know of, maybe this was a big ruse by him).

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #607 on: May 22, 2019, 10:47:35 AM »
As I said before, the last season despite some good bits essentially SUCKED as a story...and Condottiere pointed to a good link explaining why. Here it is again. It has some big words in it but I think this group can handle using a dictionary!  ;D 

Tututut... We don't shout on LAF, do we? We all have opinions, so let's try to express them with a degre of restraint.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #608 on: May 22, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »
Yeah, for what it is worth I second Hammers's view on big red text. I love LAF because people don't shout at each other or call each other names. Just my opinion.

I think it was feeble. It was also the only way Tyrion could see to stay alive (who else would let him live?), I think, so he had to try something.

Given the way all the Lords plotted in earlier times, my guess is they are all biding their time. King's Landing is in ruins, winter is coming (the shoot through the snow struck me as heavy metaphor rather than realism), it is all a massive mess. Let someone else get things back on a steady footing, *then* make your play.  (If I were to reach for a political analogy, something something labour's approach to Brexit something something).

Plan won't work if Bran can warg into Drogon though. I think his reign will be pretty secure if he can pull that off  :)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #609 on: May 22, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
Plan won't work if Bran can warg into Drogon though. I think his reign will be pretty secure if he can pull that off  :)
what makes you think he didn't... it may explain why Drogon left Jon alone...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #610 on: May 22, 2019, 01:01:27 PM »
@Hammer....have a sense of humor...it is just a TV show...which sadly went from really good to so-so....

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #611 on: May 22, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »
what makes you think he didn't... it may explain why Drogon left Jon alone...

Oooooooooooooooo, never thought of that!  Ha, that really would make him Bran the Schemer!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #612 on: May 22, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »

Tyrion says:

As a case for being the leader of a nation, that is certainly...unusual. As Tyrion is known to be the author's favourite character - if not his occasional mouthpiece - it also makes me wonder whether GRRM is planning to run for president.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #613 on: May 22, 2019, 05:46:00 PM »
I thought it was fine.

Everyone expects a fireworks extravaganza for endings when in life, that's just not the case.

This isn't a panto or a Disney happy ending.

It all went more or less how I thought it would in the end and I'm not particularly surprised or disappointed.

Life in Westeros goes on. They needed a leader. There are lots of reasons for Bran being King. The stories bit makes sense too, especially when it comes to what we have seen. Many stories, many riddled with holes and lies to inspire people to follow their lords and ladies.

Bran is the balance between the North and the South. Whilst he is king Sansa is unlikely to have issue with the 6 realms he leads. We knew that the people of the North wouldn't bend the knee to the South again. And who can blame them?

So in many ways we're back to the start. And back to the reality of medieval politics. Keeping families happy by giving their members seats and responsibilities in high places. Was it really going to end any other way?
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #614 on: May 22, 2019, 07:33:30 PM »
Oooooooooooooooo, never thought of that!  Ha, that really would make him Bran the Schemer!

Just remember I coined Bran the Schemer TM ... and I’ve got a deal going with the new Lord of Highgarden to share the marketing rights.

;)