Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690966
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Terence Gunn

• Schoolboy
The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier
« on: April 30, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »
It's been a while, I know, but I am now working again on the 3rd and last revision to The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier.

The basic structure of the book will remain similar, but there will be some layout changes, image additions and subtractions, numerous pages added, some narrative text changes, error corrections, additional product listings, and (hopefully) one or more additional interviews. Numerous images on the accompanying CD supplement (and others not) will be included in this last revision. Basically speaking, there will be loads of pages with black and white and colour images of miniatures. And although last on my list of priorities, I would also like to change the front and back covers. More on the latter later :o)

As far as whether or not this last revision will be an electronic book (most likely in PDF form) or a hard copy depends entirely on whether or not I can find a publisher, or at least a financial backer, to cover the cost of printing, etc. Although I did not go the way of P.O.D. (print-on-demand) before, I have noticed there still is confusion about how P.O.D. works and how much money is required in advance to set this service up initially. And keep in mind – the pages in the physical book were glossy pages (best for colour) with 31 colour pages and front and back colour covers. In 2003 and 2004 I had a shoestring budget, but now I have what I would call an Instant Raman Noodle budget. LOL! Such will not be a deterrent for me to put this last revision together in an attractive and more expansive way, but – in regards to a hard copy version – the costs of printing, packaging, shipping, etc., of such is another aspect in itself. Regardless of what format the last revision of the book will manifest in, there is first and foremost considerable work to be done completing this revision; and until its completion, achieving this will remain my main focus.

I am again putting the word out for images of the following figure lines:
·   John Carter
·   Ancient Armies
·   Starsoldier
·   Wizzards & Warriors (non boxed set figures)
·   Gamma World (non boxed set figures

I am looking for images of figures with an unobtrusive dark or light (preferably black or white) back ground. And keeping in mind that these images will be decreased in size, close-up scans or photos are preferred. Pairings and groupings are fine, as long as they are in line with each other, and grouped according to the blister packs they correspond to.

If anyone has a good number of any of the above lines, please PM me.

On a side note, for those who have been seeking me via a particular invalid email address once associated to me – I have changed my email address numerous times in the last decade, and did not include a forwarding address. Sorry about that.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:53:55 AM »
Will be watching this with interest  :)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:16:53 AM »
Don't remember Grenadier doing a John Carter series. ???
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Terence Gunn

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
Don't remember Grenadier doing a John Carter series. ???

Grenadier Models produced an 18-title line of John Carter figures in 1975, sculpted by Andrew Chernak, but had to withdraw the line due to the fact that Heritage had a licence for the figures. Some of these figures were later used for Gamma World.

Gaming and miniatures have been off my radar for many years now, so only recently did I discover this excellent website, which features some of the Grenadier John Carter, Warlord of Mars figures:

http://deartonyblair.blogspot.com/2013/09/john-carter-warlord-of-mars1975.html

Recasts of some of the Grenadier John Carter figures have been sold by collectorfigs on eBay. As the figures are old, exceedingly rare, not well known, and were never licensed to begin with, I have no issues with collectorfigs for doing this, but I do wish the seller would be honest about selling recasts.

Offline Terence Gunn

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:54:32 AM »
Grenadier Models produced an 18-title line of John Carter figures in 1975, sculpted by Andrew Chernak, but had to withdraw the line due to the fact that Heritage had a licence for the figures. Some of these figures were later used for Gamma World.

Gaming and miniatures have been off my radar for many years now, so only recently did I discover this excellent website, which features some of the Grenadier John Carter, Warlord of Mars figures:

http://deartonyblair.blogspot.com/2013/09/john-carter-warlord-of-mars1975.html

Recasts of some of the Grenadier John Carter figures have been sold by collectorfigs on eBay. As the figures are old, exceedingly rare, not well known, and were never licensed to begin with, I have no issues with collectorfigs for doing this, but I do wish the seller would be honest about selling recasts.

Some of the Grenadier John Carter figures reappeared in Grenadier's Gamma World line as Knights of Purity and (Human) Tribesmen. Some of the Grenadier John Carter figures reappeared in the Wizzards & Warriors line, as well. I did not go into too much detail about this during the first publication of The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier, as I did not think such important. However, from a historical and collector's stand-point, I acknowledge that such is important to address -- especially with re-casters in our midst.

Circumstances have changed since I first published this book in 2003. Websites dedicated to older miniatures prior then were not as they are now. Back then, Thomas Pope's Stuff Of Legends website was the predominant referential source for older gaming figures. If I am incorrect, then please correct me; I wasn't as Internet 'search engine' savvy as I am now; nor was the Internet 'search engine' as savvy as it is today.

And then there is the Grenadier Models' Starsoldier line -- some of which reappeared in the Gamma World line blister packs and the Gamma World 'Adventurers' boxed set.

Anyway, the new edition of The Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier will (hopefully) clear up some of the convolution and mystery connected to Grenadier's mid to late 1970s miniatures and re-usage of such.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 05:23:25 AM »
I do have a few of those figures. I think I got them in some Gamma World sets that I got.

Offline Terence Gunn

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 02:48:10 AM »
I do have a few of those figures. I think I got them in some Gamma World sets that I got.

Yes, a great many of the military figures in the Gamma World line are from the Starsoldier line. Do you have any of the Starsoldier Andromedans or Galaxy Aliens? I found images of 1 of both. They are very crude figures. How about the large mutant animal Gamma World figures? Do you have any of those? I've obtained some images, but could use a good deal more. The collectorfigs recaster on eBay has pretty nigh the entire line, if not the entire line, but I do not know how to contact him outside of eBay.

-Terence.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:50:27 AM by Terence Gunn »

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »
Lots of page previews on the updates section of the Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1155053944/the-fantastic-worlds-of-grenadier/updates

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
I discovered miniatures about the same time I discovered ERB's Barsoom novels. Availability was appallingly spotty, but I got my youthful hands of 2 Thark models, which I still have. Let me dig them out and get some snaps.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Terence Gunn

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 03:19:50 AM »
I discovered miniatures about the same time I discovered ERB's Barsoom novels. Availability was appallingly spotty, but I got my youthful hands of 2 Thark models, which I still have. Let me dig them out and get some snaps.

I would be most interested in seeing images of the two Thark models you have. One Grenadier John Carter of Mars Thark was converted and used as the first Minotaur for Wizzards & Warriors. The Grenadier Wizzards & Warriors Chaotic Warrior (when Grenadier coded their figures singularly in their catalogue) was also a Grenadier John Carter of Mars conversion. I am including images of both in the new edition.