Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:39:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flea Market Find....Need Help Identifying  (Read 1237 times)

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
Flea Market Find....Need Help Identifying
« on: September 26, 2016, 07:56:04 AM »
I went to my usual flea market this morning and was stunned to find these wargames figures for sale. I've been searching flea markets, garage sales and the like for 40 plus years and rarely do I find anything remotely related to the hobby.

I bought these, along with some 54 mm Saint Petersburg Russian figures, from an older dealer of Eastern European origin.

I have no idea what these are. They appear to be true 30 mm to my eye, so maybe Staddens or one of those early lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you're interested in the figures then PM me, here.
Thanks in advance.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
Re: Flea Market Find....Need Help Identifying
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
Great find! They all look like more-or-less French Napoleonic figures to me.

The bearskins with green coats, I think are Italian grenadiers. The bearskins in red coats, I think are Swiss grenadiers.

The white coats look like a battalion of French infantry, one stand for each of the four battalion companies, one stand each of voltiguers and grenadiers. The shakos look French to me, especially the cockades under the plumes. The white coats are unusual, but white coats were issued to some regiments, I think in 1805 (?), and units serving in Spain and other far theaters sometimes got uniforms in non-standard colors. They could, maybe, be from a white-coated French-allied army, possibly Italians or Saxons.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:06:11 PM »
The guys in the shakos are 30mm Staddens, don't recognize the guys in the bearskins.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:13:55 AM »
As stated on another forum, the grenadier officer in the top pic is a Willie figure (he's actually an Imperial guard foot artillery officer painted as a grenadier CO), and the green uniform is indeed that of the Kingdom Of Italy's Royal Guard Grenadiers. The attacking infantrymen in shakos are 30mm Staddens and I too am unsure about the grenadiers in bearskins.

The unit in white may either be a French battalion wearing the short-lived 1806 uniform or a Westphalian infantry unit (I'd lean more toward the former as the shako cockade appears to be the French tricolour rather than the blue and white used by the Westphalians. Saxons can be ruled out as they didn't use the French six-company battalion structure and did not have voltigeur companies. That said, the Kingdom of Naples' 1st infantry regiment also had white uniforms with blue facings and may be the unit the painter was trying to depict.