Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 20mm SF wants?  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: 20mm SF wants?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 11:23:54 PM »
I'm purely being selfish and wishing not you'd bring it more 15mm factions! I'd really like a low-tech, tribalsesque alien faction (cc weapons a must) in 15mm - maybe you could do them in 20mm and they'd double for both scales (weren't the blue people in Avatar about that tall?)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 02:11:04 AM »
I have such a faction already -- they're called Lhurggs.
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline JamesFlowers

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 04:23:23 AM »
I would love to see a range of anthromorphic mammals , Wolf , Polar bear , Centaur , leapoard man including a lower abdomen snake , human body , with decent tactical looking gear.

and techno ninjas , lots of techno ninjas!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »
a lower abdomen snake , human body , with decent tactical looking gear.

CMG just did a kick-starter of those.  :D
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 10:16:38 AM »
Without any knowledge if those would sell well, I personally am looking forward to play something like XCom/UFO or Urban Fantasy in 20mm.

20mm has IMO two major strengths:
1. the wide range of "modern" and WW2 urban buildings and vehicles you can buy cheaply at any model store. This makes some settings very easy, and I think i could well imagine something like MArines vs. Grey aliens and the like but also Zombies, Terminatorlike Robots etc.

2. the possibility to show some really dynamic/individual models, which with 15mm is sometimes difficult. Thus it would be perfect for anything set in an urban setting where models with character are fighting each other. Speak: "Superheores", Psychics, Vampires, Werewolves, Weird War Nazis like in the Hellboy comics, "Judges", Punks, robotic Cops etc.

So to come back to your question: Since I already have a lot of your models, I personally am not interested to buy the same stuff twice and having to build the same scenerey again. So for me, to be a customer, 20mm Khurasan would need to be something new, maybe some gritty 80s SciFi, maybe some Urban Horror...that would make me place an order.

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
That's an interesting observation -- make it different from the 15mm stuff.

Although to be honest one of the reasons I'm doing this is to highlight the suitability of my alien ranges for 20mm gaming. Many of my alien types are larger than humans (for instance the Garn tyrannosauroids) and would make perfect 20mm man sized troopers.

Others, such as the Stikk insectmen, could be smaller than humans -- nothing preventing aliens from being so.

I'll probably do a comparison shot on the 20mm page showing all the aliens I make that could be suitable, compared to a 20mm human trooper....

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
Actually I already use your 15mm Felids alongside 28mm Tau as aliens in my 20 mm games....
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 02:30:17 PM »
Actually I already use your 15mm Felids alongside 28mm Tau as aliens in my 20 mm games....

I was going to ask about that on the NL FB group after I spotted them in your pictures.

Offline KONNOC

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 07:01:25 PM »
I'm probably the only one, but aliens like those in Edge of Tomorrow would be cool as well as the a faction like the Sakaaran from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 07:32:27 PM »
That's an interesting observation -- make it different from the 15mm stuff.

Although to be honest one of the reasons I'm doing this is to highlight the suitability of my alien ranges for 20mm gaming. Many of my alien types are larger than humans (for instance the Garn tyrannosauroids) and would make perfect 20mm man sized troopers.

Others, such as the Stikk insectmen, could be smaller than humans -- nothing preventing aliens from being so.

I'll probably do a comparison shot on the 20mm page showing all the aliens I make that could be suitable, compared to a 20mm human trooper....

Well, that's a fair enough point of view. However, it doesnt strictly contradict my proposal: If the Aliens fit more than one scale (and I know, they do, those excellent little bastards of yours...;) ), they also fit more than one setting, and that's brilliant (for me the collector and for you the businessman).

Yet, I personally as a collector would not be interested at all in buying the same human types for a new scale...here is a big opportunity for difference!

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 02:49:47 AM »

So to come back to your question: Since I already have a lot of your models, I personally am not interested to buy the same stuff twice and having to build the same scenerey again. So for me, to be a customer, 20mm Khurasan would need to be something new, maybe some gritty 80s SciFi, maybe some Urban Horror...that would make me place an order.

^ this would get my vote.

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
My expectation is that people who will buy these will be largely 20mm gamers. My thought was not to redo my existing ranges in 20mm scale. I'm doing that in 6mm but that's because 6mm can be used at one or even two levels up from 15mm so I think it's a valid project. 20mm is close enough that it doesn't make sense to replicate the 15mm ranges.

The 20mm human dolly parts made so far are for a completely new faction. I think the background will be that humans in the nearish future colonise Alpha Centauri and when they get there, there's already a sentient race who are tribal and not quite as far along in tech as humanity. The humans, having no choice (one way trip) settle down and at first peacefully co-exist. Then they discover another spacefaring race has already claimed the planet for itself ....

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »
Some human adventurers would be most welcome as well as some troops similar to Star Wars. :D
About aliens you could do (as mentioned) take some pictures of the available ones in 15mm that might suit for a start and then see the feedback of your costumers.
After that you can sort out what can be done to complete the range.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 08:14:26 PM »
Well if this range is in the same quality as your 15mm ranges, Im really looking forward to it!

I would hope, that your sculptors make use of the few extra "mms" to get some more character into the models. 20mm IMO  is ideal for skirmishing, and Id love to see some decent versions of a near future Arnold, not-Ripley, not-Tank girl etc. I allows everything 28mm does, but still saves a lot of space and profits from the available stuff from hardplastic models.

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 09:55:04 PM »

That would really help!!.
 I always look for some aliens in order to using them with my real-25mm sci-fi miniatures. And i really love your work, but, except for some alien races that would be presumably smaller that "human-sized" miniatures- in my case. i tend to presume that they are too small ( not necessarily the height, but the wide! that's why amb potentially interested on bulky alien races, specially if thay're sculpted for 20mm.